What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@fossyant - we've got 'secure' underground parking, but someone cut through the cage. It's got a wooden cover but not brilliantly secure.

Similar construction. TBH, it's easy to break in with a pole - stick pole through door 'cage', flip up the switch cover, and then press the switch. I queried it 10 years ago when it was built. I use good locks !

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
On this morning's ride i suffered from quite a lot of chain suck when freewheeling , so had half an hour cleaning chain , inspecting and greasing jockey wheels but alas i found that the freewheel wasn't freewheeling so thankfully i had a spare block and swapped it over ready for tomorrow .
Also fitted and smp saddle on today's purchase just in case i do a split ride tomorrow

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Raleigh Professional aka fake Guerciotti has some Sakae SP-200AL pedals with Christophe rat traps but they're sticky.

So this evening I dismantled both, cleaned everything and re-fitted them with fresh grease. That's something else I've done for the first time.

They're probably going on eBay tomorrow as the original would have had Campag pedals. I'm aiming to source those instead.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
took the BB out of the commuter and re-greased the threads and checked the rear wheel bearings which were dry as a bone even though i greased them less than 6 months ago just goes to show the hard life the bike has ! all this in-between numerous things my family only ever want me to do when im actually trying to do something for myself .
Just had another go at setting up the the FD on the carbon which i have got pretty close but even with the yaw its not 100 % perfect but just as good as a standard shifter with trim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a fault with my commuter's XT freehub a while back, and bought a new (lower spec) hub to butcher it for the freehub. All has been fine, but I decided to take a look at the XT freehub now it's off the bike. Managed to get the hollow bolt out, which was the cause of the problem as it was slightly threaded.

The replacement freehub is nice and smooth, but the bearings are noisier - you can hear them when on the bike, you couldn't with the XT. I also had to use the seals and axel from the 'cheaper' hub for the drive side as the freehub 'opening' was different and not as well sealed, which could cause issues in the future as this is an all weather bike.

Popped the seal off the XT freehub and regreased it. Hmm, will it be OK. Removed axel and the replacement freehub. Re-used the replacement's hollow bolt and the XT freehub went back on perfectly. All assembled and it's lovely and quiet again.

The main thing is I've got spares now.

I changed the handlebar grips on the Brompton; will report back on their effectiveness.

I sorted a 24" wheel kiddie bike; it had seen little use but a lot of crud; the brake blocks had those odd hexagonal shaped nuts holding them on, which were rapidly replaced so I could set the brakes up properly.

I managed to put a snakebite puncture in a 6" innertube before sitting down and thinking sbout how to fit one without tyre levers; it is possible. The tricycle it was attached to is now for sale.

One of my clients very handily sorted out a SRAM 7 speed hub system that needed a new cable; our ability to fit these has improved dramatically since I made a wooden template so we could get the cable length correct quickly.

I also assisted in advanced swearing after we found the pull screw thread on a crank was stripped bare; enquiries on here about possible alternative methods are continuing.

Another client changed a Shimano 7 speed mech and shifters with supervision...

Tomorrow I really need to tidy up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
quill stem adapter turned up today so i thought i would give it a go as it looks simple which it is , i need to play around with the angles/ height and i feel the shifters are on the wrong bit of the bars as you cant really use the drops.
it all took a back seat though as mini ck1 was constantly pestering me for money which made it take 10 times as long then mini ck1 stubbed her toe on the door ( no shoes on ) and got a big cut on it so fettling got put on hold .

Gunk

Guru
I also assisted in advanced swearing after we found the pull screw thread on a crank was stripped bare; enquiries on here about possible alternative methods are continuing.

I’ve managed to remove one with a stripped thread using a bearing puller. I had to grind down the jaws with a Dremel so it fitted behind the crank. I haven't got a photo as I have lent it to someone and it’s never been returned :cursing:

IMG_1117.jpeg

Last edited:

Drzdave58

Über Member
The 3 speed nexus hub broke on my Ruff Tango electric bike. I decided to replace it with a single speed hub to keep it simple.
IMG_3696.jpeg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
That annoying mudguard rubbing that only comes under load...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tales-from-todays-commute.105055/page-2199#post-7043178

... took the rear wheel off to investigate.

Couple of shiny patches on inside of mudguard, made some adjustments, same thing. Still only under load.

Took wheel off again, no obvious play in the bearings, but seemed to have slight wobble on freehub. Have it a wiggle, then another, then another and...

...hub fell apart in my hands, rear axle had snapped.

View attachment 703093

Presumably was flexing under load as a result. I keep a spare, swapped cassette, went to swap tyre and tube...

... valve core fell out. Couldn't find it, binned tube, finally everything back together, reindexed gears, good to go.

New wheel needed. Actually probably two, 'cos the spare is pretty much bollixed too.

Serendipity: picked up two newly built wheels on Saturday.

Last night, rear brake was catching, turned out to be the worn rear rim had cracked.

1000006344.jpg

New wheel fitted before coming to work today; now won't engage top gear so need to check over tonight.

Jameshow

Veteran
Serendipity: picked up two newly built wheels on Saturday.

Last night, rear brake was catching, turned out to be the worn rear rim had cracked.

View attachment 709447

New wheel fitted before coming to work today; now won't engage top gear so need to check over tonight.

My rs10 wheels on my all year carbon bike are tired...

When do I replace them? hoping to get a winter out of the yet!!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My rs10 wheels on my all year carbon bike are tired...

When do I replace them? hoping to get a winter out of the yet!!

I generally keep a spare cheapo set and get the main one re-rimmed if they wear out, but the bearings on this wheel are also bollixed so needed a new wheel. A spare wheel is also an insurance in case of broken spokes. I actually bought a gauge for measuring rim thickness, but didn't find it useful - probably my incompetence in reading it; my experience is that like on this one you get some warning rather than a sudden failure, so can just ride to destruction.

Jameshow

Veteran
I generally keep a spare cheapo set and get the main one re-rimmed if they wear out, but the bearings on this wheel are also bollixed so needed a new wheel. A spare wheel is also an insurance in case of broken spokes. I actually bought a gauge for measuring rim thickness, but didn't find it useful - probably my incompetence in reading it; my experience is that like on this one you get some warning rather than a sudden failure, so can just ride to destruction.

I have many pairs I just like the rs10 for weight / strength / price point .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been getting a sore left shoulder when riding my Devon bike. I don't have that problem on any of my other bikes so clearly there is a bike setup issue. I have a significant leg length difference which causes me to sit slightly awkwardly on my bike which is probably why the problem is only on one side.

The ideal solution would be to address the leg length issue, both when cycling and walking, then I wouldn't have a tilted pelvis and shoulders. Meanwhile though... I turned the handlebar forwards a few degrees mid-ride today and that seemed to help. I am going to lower the stem by one spacer tomorrow to see how that feels. I think that will make a big difference.

Top Bottom