What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Replaced a tube on my summer bike. Obviously it's the rear. Usually is.
Tyres were fine when I got back and washed it. Left it to dry in the sun in the garden and it was flat after that.

Upon inspection it was the usual culprit but he's changed his MO.

Last time he pulled this trick it was because I foolishly left the bike in his kitchen overnight.

He's clearly now taking the garden as his to behave how he likes.

The culprit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-12-22-04-28-08_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-12-22-04-28-08_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4

Windle

Über Member
Replaced a tube on my summer bike. Obviously it's the rear. Usually is.
Tyres were fine when I got back and washed it. Left it to dry in the sun in the garden and it was flat after that.

Upon inspection it was the usual culprit but he's changed his MO.

Last time he pulled this trick it was because I foolishly left the bike in his kitchen overnight.

He's clearly now taking the garden as his to behave how he likes.

The culprit.

It is his, it all is :laugh:.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use ANY plastic bag over my brooks flyer or spa nid saddle on wet shopping trips ...away from eyes and elements :okay:

Yep, gotta be the right ambience though, I find Tesco, Iceland or Costco give that right 'not worth nicking' vibe, wouldn't work with a Sainsbury's or Waitrose bag.
I do have a couple of the genuine Brooks' 'rain hats' but they look far too expensive with the big gold Brooks, Made in England and the company crest that I daren'tt use em at the shops.

Gunk

Guru
Put new wheel (£30 eBay) and cassette (£17 Decathlon) on my sons hack this afternoon, the old one had a broken spoke, very buckled rim and a bent spindle, I didn‘t have the tool to get the old cassette off so £17 wasn't bad for a replacement which uses my existing Shimano cassette tool.

Everything went fine, it all lined up and I didn’t even need to reindex it, so all done, and a quick run around the block, it rides surprisingly well.

Considering I paid £15 for it a couple of years ago and it’s used daily, £47 total expenditure is not the end of the world.

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Fitted new bar end shifters and gear cables for both front and rear. Previously using Diacompe but they seem to have one side is thin metal glued in place, to hold the internals in place. The glue has been becoming unstuck and the lever eventually fails. Got some micro shift ones which appear to be more solidly built. Time will tell.

Didn’t do gear cable outer or bar tape. Hopefully get through winter and then I’ll do those next Spring. Chain likely next on maintenance list.

Quick adjustment on the rear gears of the commuter because it wasn't going into the lowest gear. Now all is well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Non-bike fettling... My ancient Braun Electric toothbrush!

It has been getting increasingly feeble. I thought that its non-removable battery must be wearing out and unable to hold a charge. But then I used it again and it worked perfectly for one night before starting to go feeble again...

That could not be the battery. What else could it be?

I investigated... The charging Led's brightness was very dependent on the brush's position on its charging post. If I raised the brush by a mm, the light went dim. Another mm or two and it went off altogether. Maybe the brush actually needed to be a short distance further onto the post? Strange!

Then I remembered that it is not an official Braun charger. The original had burned out after a decade or so and was replaced with a cheap clone from eBay. Maybe manufacturing tolerances on that were sloppy?

So, I wanted the brush to sit lower on the charging post... I took a look at the base of the brush. There was a rubber seal sticking out. I took a sharp knife to that and pared it back by about 1.5 mm.

I put the shaved toothbrush back on the charger. Much brighter charging Led! Left it on charge overnight and... all was back to normal by the next morning. It has been great ever since. :becool:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My neighbour bought round her student bike, owned from new over 30 years ago. Asked me to service it! Feck me it’s not seen a drop of oil since came out the shop! I’ve stripped out the front hub, rear hub and free wheel, cleaned out all the shoot from the all that and the cassette, new bearing and grease, new cables, cleaned out dead spiders from the shifters, new brake blocks new chain. I’m yet to do the bottom bracket. It’s a bit of a load of crap, but she’s sentimental about the bike.

Gunk

Guru
My neighbour bought round her student bike, owned from new over 30 years ago. Asked me to service it! Feck me it’s not seen a drop of oil since came out the shop! I’ve stripped out the front hub, rear hub and free wheel, cleaned out all the shoot from the all that and the cassette, new bearing and grease, new cables, cleaned out dead spiders from the shifters, new brake blocks new chain. I’m yet to do the bottom bracket. It’s a bit of a load of crap, but she’s sentimental about the bike.

I hope you got a beer out of all that free graft

Top Bottom