What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Joeblow track pump's bottom has been tatty for ages and as I had some matt black paint left over from painting my bargain-tastic DMR flat pedals (previously in gold / chrome) I thought I'd give it a err blow-over. Before, after a brief emery papering: (it is awful, but I like it).

View attachment 705442
After, much tidier. Whether it survives much standing on whilst pumping furiously (also relevant to the painted pedals) we'll see.

View attachment 705443

That is an 'approved' fettle.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
De cabled a sticky sti unit and cabled up the replacement down tube shifter

Gunk

Guru
Changed a tyre and tube on my sons hack, also ordered a replacement wheel, it’s been a rear wheel too long.

IMG_2030.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
After my shifter cable snapped in the shifter mid ride and setting the stops so i had a single speed bike i took the shifter off the bars and removed the lower panel to see if i could find the head from the cable,
Couldnt find it and the shifter was jamming so i poked and jiggled which seemed to loosen the mechanism so i threaded a cable through and tested the pull which seemed ok so put it bake on the bar and reconnected the RD .
After much twiddling with the stops and cable tension it seems to be working ok apart from one gear which is a bit noisy .Next job will be to reinstall the brake cable as i snipped that to get the shifter off along with replacing the hood rubber and bar tape .
TBH the shifter is pretty worn with the paint completly worn away where i hold it for shifting so i could really do with replacing it .

Today was going to be an easy day: two bikes were nearly finished and needed a quick test ride before being put on display, and in one case calling a customer who had been interested a ladies trekking bike.

On arrival I found a bike returned by a customer. The note attached said because "The tyre is flat and the chain is broken, Is it the correct chain? Please repair URGENTLY." Apparently they expect it for free: they're going to be disappointed.

The first test ride went fine until the chain went over the low gear and dropped between cogs and chain, broke several spokes and damaged several more so the wheel was pretzeled. Dragged bike back into workshop and tried to save the wheel but it wasn't playing.

I'm known in the workshop for my dislike of "pie plates" and for removing them under any excuse. I may have to rethink that one.

I find another wheel, but the freehub was damaged. Lightbulb moment, swap freehubs. Remove freehub 1, and throw it away.

Client needs help with the bike he's working on as a 'first project'; the chain won't fit on the chainwheel. Turns out that when he dismantled and rebuilt the cianwheel he put two components in reverse order so there are no spacers between the gears. Easily done and easily solved.

Remove axle from damaged wheel and stick Really Big Key into hole. Hurrah, it was the same fitting.

Client needs more help; actually, no he doesn't; a couple of questions and he works out how to refit the chainwheel without me.

Swap hubs.

Phone rings; I need to go to the till.

By the time I get back it's too late to finish the wheel so that will have to wait until tomorrow...

I just hope I remember which wheel/hub is which...

Last edited:
I would have thought leaving pie plates in place was the sensible option

Today's experience does support that argument, I'll admit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom