What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WellyWonkey

Without trying too hard I can think of a fair whack of films with kick ass ladies, or at least who are integral to the story. I do agree that women can be poorly represented in big budget films designed to excite teenage boys, but there's plenty out there with strong female characters.

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version)
Tomb Raider
Tank Girl
Kick Ass
Planet Terror
Alien
Million Dollar Baby
Fargo
Terminator 2
V for Vendetta
Hanna
G.I. Jane
Domino
Godfather
True Romance
Basic Instinct
Speed
Bonnie & Clyde
Rocky
Nikita
Amelie
Toy Story
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pan's Labyrinth
Jackie Brown
Hunger Games
The Matrix
Pulp Fiction
Ginger Snaps
Silence of the Lambs
Let the Right One In (Swedish version)
Star Wars (original trilogy)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Little Miss Sunshine

That should keep you going, and mean you can avoid nonsense like Colombiana! Honourable mentions to X Files and West Wing too, but those are TV shows so can't make the list.
+ Léon ?

AndyRM

XOXO
+ Léon ?

Yeah, and another Besson classic - Fifth Element. I suppose the Resident Evil series should be added as well, though some of them are absolutely dreadful.

Silent Hill is another one!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
French Connection II. What a performance by Gene Hackman! I've never seen him be bad in anything, but in this he was just astonishing.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The Invisible Woman, a dreary period piece with drab costumes, no melo and no drama. The protons cast unwillingly against the screen had more depth of character than the entire cast (despite the best efforts of the divine Kirstin Scott Thomas).

Enigma

It was. Fairly OK to follow (codebreaker falls for hot spy) but then there was a further plot with a cover up of a Russian massacre in Poland. Somehow the most secret place in the UK was not allowed to hear about this. Lots of chasing around in old cars to get some action into what was otherwise a dull job and then everyone jumped on a train to Scotland to catch someone jumping on a submarine.

Despite huge plot dumps between characters it still seemed a bit of an enigma and did not quite add up.

AndyRM

XOXO
That's very patronising of you. I'm well aware of loads of films with strong female characters, thanks. I meant it's unusual to have an invincible woman murderer take centre stage.

I wasn't trying to be patronising, you said it was 'very unusual' so I wasn't sure how much of that list you'd seen is all. I suppose they don't all feature invincible murderers though. Asian cinema/anime is probably the best place for that.

Anyway, I watched half of Pandorum last night; would have watched the whole thing but had a cat based emergency to deal with. Unexpectedly brilliant so far.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Watched 3 films on a long flight. Dallas buyers club, walter mitty and Le Weekend.
I didn't finish Le Weekend as I couldn't relate to the couple.

AndyRM

XOXO

Do they spend half an hour setting a table in this one?

U

User169

Without trying too hard I can think of a fair whack of films with kick ass ladies, or at least who are integral to the story. I do agree that women can be poorly represented in big budget films designed to excite teenage boys, but there's plenty out there with strong female characters.

That should keep you going, and mean you can avoid nonsense like Colombiana! Honourable mentions to X Files and West Wing too, but those are TV shows so can't make the list.

How many of those pass the Bechdel test?

Top Bottom