What’s your fastest recorded speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
what’s your fastest speed,screen shot required (down hill)🤣
Never mind downhill, what's your max speed uphill? :smile:

"Tadej Pogacar reached a max speed of 37.8 km/h when he attacked on Galibier. From there to the top, he covered the last 700 meters@10% in 1 min 55 sec, at 24 km/h average speed." :eek:

View: https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1808229880338780360

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought my speed was quite fast at first.
37.9mph on a tandem with my wife sat behind me.
believe me, any faster and I would have needed new Kidneys😁😁😁

Tandem, that reminds me....
Screenshot_20240703-205611~2.png

Screenshot_20240703-205548~2.png

That was on a 1978 tandem with dodgy brakes :laugh:

I never check but I do record the rides on RWGPS for checking later. Apparently it was 52mph on a MTB coming down from Molls Gap to Killarney. Lovely quiet road with the additional benefit of being fuelled up on Barry's Tea before I started the descent.

View attachment 736252

PS for our American friends. Try Ireland for cycling. Green, pleasant, great food and interesting places to visit. You'll get a warm welcome and everyone will try to convince you that you have an Irish heritage somewhere in your family tree - even if you name is Shostakovich.
With nutters like my BiL. He doesnt live in Bantry anymore but I can recall on one ascent up it with me, his two kids and my sister he went off the road (it looked like an un-barriered 500ft drop). He got out and said 'its ok I've got a sump guard'. I heard similar crazy driving stories in Ireland when I lived there. Its no wonder they have one of the highest driving death rates in Europe!

toffee

Guru
39.3mph down into whitby in 2021. I seem to remember pushing alot of the way back.

Kell

Veteran
@Kell 45 on a Brompton must have been terrifying

I genuinely don't think it is. Feels stable and planted. A lot more so than my video suggests.

Though I have to say, I've fitted my Brompton with a set of low rise MTB bars (cut down a bit). So it's probably more stable than most Bromptons.

I went down the same hill on my road bike this week and it felt far more sketchy. The wheels seemed to catch the wind more.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Getting speed wobble at 50 mph is butt clenching. Went over Woodhead with a fair old tail wind. Descending the Sheffield side, let rip. Hit an exposed section and got buffeted by a fair cross wind, and the front wheel shimmied. Clamped the top tube with my legs, eased off, stabilised bike, and then let it rip again. That was on the Ribble 653. Never had any shimmy on my Handbuilt bike since owning it. That said, I don't push it anymore.

62mph in 2012 dropping into Otley.

These days, post a few downhill crashes, I rarely exceed 35mph.
East Chevin, at a guess??

That was the site of my fastest recorded speed too, back in the mid-late 90s
I still remember it, I had one of the Avocet computers, so calibrated to the wheel size/rolling radius, thus accurate to a couple of feet per mile??

I was on my (then fairly new) Dyna-Tech 755Ti, & saw 61.7MPH before deciding that having crossed the bridge over the bypass, it was time to brake (& start wiping my eyes, that were streaming, even behind a pair of Mumbos)

I do recall that on one descent of East Chevin, a car pulled out of one of the entrances, & that it was safer to overtake than try to lose speed & stay behind!
Nowadays, even with far better brakes, there's a more developed sense of self-preservation!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
East Chevin, at a guess??

Yes, chasing someone downhill in an event. I never caught them, possibly because at the 'first finisher' presentation it turned out to be a certain T Pidcock age 14.

I've had close to that dropping downhill into Filey where a motorbike came alongside, pointed to their speedo and gave me a thumbs up.

These days, after coming off more than once I'll not risk it. I've a job, family and bills to pay.

Yes, chasing someone downhill in an event. I never caught them, possibly because at the 'first finisher' presentation it turned out to be a certain T Pidcock age 14.

I've had close to that dropping downhill into Filey where a motorbike came alongside, pointed to their speedo and gave me a thumbs up.

These days, after coming off more than once I'll not risk it. I've a job, family and bills to pay.
Exactly!!, age & wisdom (& fear of severe injury)

I've often wondered what speed could be reached down 'Blue Bank' into Sleights, or The Strines (the 'Deliverance' hill, past the farm) if that hairpin wasn't at the bottom (down to Ewden Bridge)

Top Bottom