What’s your fastest recorded speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
58 kph.
Where? Painters Forstal
When? 21-04-24; 07:56
How? Pedalling a lot because I was late

CXRAndy

Guru
54 mph coming down Mt Teide. Because of the bends I was only able to get that high by pedalling flat out on a straight for 5-10 secs 152 rpm

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
IMG_2480.jpeg

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

DRM

Guru
iirc it would be around 47-48 Mph down the A636 from the roundabout at Midgeley towards the Cedar Court Hotel, to be fair it was a bit daft as one pot hole or dodgy bit of tarmac would have been goodnight Vienna, plus the risk of cars pulling out on you from the farm shop

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
to be fair it was a bit daft as one pot hole or dodgy bit of tarmac would have been goodnight Vienna,
This plays on my mind.

Just before the start of Covid I hit a pothole at the massive speed of 23 km/h according to my Garmin. Entirely my own fault, I should have seen and avoided it. Result: Several broken spokes, destroyed front wheel rim, bent handlebars, squashed helmet, possible/probable concussion and a fair old hike with an un-wheelable bike to the nearest station.

My thought just as my head hit the ground was "Oh no, I'm wearing my best glasses, I hope I don't break them".

presta

Guru
plus the risk of cars pulling out on you
Coming off Kirkstone toward Hartsop there was a coach coming up towards me trailing a queue of cars behind it. I was just waiting for an impatient driver to pull out, thinking "What's everyone waiting for, there's plenty of room to overtake, he's only a cyclist, he won't be going very fast".

freiston

Veteran
I was once (a few decades ago) taking a large urban road island (dual carriageway inner city with side road to retail estate), going straight across. I took it far too fast to be sensible but was enjoying the opportunity to take it fast with a good lean around the roundabout. A car started to pull out from the side road on the left - I altered my course after already committing and went wider left to pass the car behind it. I couldn't bring the bike back to the right tight enough to swing left and get round the roundabout, instead hitting the kerb far side of the side road about bang on in the middle of the "bend" of the kerb. I and the bike went flying over the pavement and landed in those low-lying thorny bushes they plant in the borders of such landscaping. I picked myself and the bike up and noticed a loose handlebar - my quill stem had completely sheared diagonally from above the top of the head tube to inside the head tube. No other damage to the bike, some superficial scratches and bruises to me.

Edit: The junction has changed a bit since then but this screenshot image is from 1999 - my incident was before then but the lay of the land is quite similar - I was going right to left:

1720368942023.png

Last edited:

Windle

Über Member
Mine was 57 mph down the north side of Chapel Fell, pedalled as fast as I could until spun out then tuck in and hang on. I passed a car further down at about 45 as well. Rim brakes and 19 mm tyres too back in those days, I don't think I'd try it now, one errant moorland bird shooting out and it would be game over. I've hit 45 mph a few times down the A688 Keverstone Bank past Raby Castle, but the road surface is so rough you need to almost close your eyes to prevent your eyeballs rattling out of their sockets.

Dadam

Über Member
43mph down Gelderd Road from Gildersome lights. I wasn't hammering it, I just wanted to be doing enough to discourage overtakes over the solid white lines, as there's usually traffic overtaking slower vehicles uphill on the crawler lane. So a reasonable percentage of car speed (50 limit). I was surprised glancing at the Garmin to see it passing 40 though! I wouldn't want to do any faster; there wasn't any potholes I remember but a bit of uneven tarmac jolted the bike enough to unclip my right foot (SPD on the lightest setting).

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
You'd have to ask the train driver.
I'm currently intending to spend the summer cycling around the borders of Suffolk on my Brompton and am using public transport to get to and from the outlying segments. Last week I forgot to switch off Strava at Sudbury Railway Station (it was hot, humid and I'd been peddling furiously to catch the train) and I deleted it before I checked the speed.
Incidentally, my records show I once achieved 42.5 mph, but I really want to hit 50 sometime. (Preferably not just before I die.) At 65 I have long learnt how much coming off can hurt, and how darn long it takes to mend the older you get, but I find downhill speed sooooo exhilarating.

Kell

Veteran
According to Strava at one point - about 50,000 mph

from just South of the Bearing Straight to the banks of a canal south of Warrington in a direct line

some say there might have been a GPS error!

I did regularly cycle past a Sainsbury's where (I think) the automatic doors played havoc with my wireless computer.

It would suddenly jump from low- to mid-teens up to around 200mph when I rode past. Took me ages to figure out what was causing it, as it only did it if someone had triggered the doors.

What surface are we talking about here??

according to Strava, during my canal rides I have often done 15-18 mph on water
and as we know Strava uses GPS which is accurate to within a few mm so it can be used to direct cruise missiles
or something like that

Top Bottom