What’s your fastest recorded speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
. . . The fastest I've freewheeled on the level with a tail wind was 18mph along Hoylake prom.
That reminded me of when I was a kid, there was a particular road on the way home from school that the wind would funnel down, giving us a nice boost - we used to unzip our parka/snorkel coats and hold out the bottom corners to act like a sail, freewheeling (riding no-handed, of course). Boston, Lincolnshire, so very much a flat level road.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've often wondered what speed could be reached down 'Blue Bank' into Sleights,

You'd need balls of steel not to brake around the lefthander alongside the lorry trap.

Does anyone actually think the Max speed recording on your garmin is anywhere near accurate btw? :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Time for this again. This is not my Garmin.

1720092438587.png

freiston

Veteran
I suspect (but don't know) that they're more accurate at higher and constant speeds, on straighter roads rather than bendy/meandering roads.

I have noticed that mine thinks I'm moving when I'm not - particularly noticeable at a refreshment stop on a recorded ride - the line looks like a big scribble around the watering hole and can add a mile or more onto a serious pub stop, greatly reducing the moving average speed.

I do have a recording that goes over 50mph, but I think that was due to a GPS glitch. The fastest speed I am confident I have actually ridden at is 48.8mph on a downhill in Florida (yes, they do have some hills, just not very many) while on holiday last year.

View attachment 736197

Lol, The KOM on the bridleway near my house was done in 3 seconds (286mph) apparently. I think the next closest was 33 seconds. It looked like it was a GPS error too :-D

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Nudged over 60mph coming down Mount Tiede nearly a decade ago.

The max I was brave enough for was 38.7mph. Im always cautious on descents but this was my first big one after chemo, which apparently causes brittle bones 🙃

The max I was brave enough for was 38.7mph. Im always cautious on descents but this was my first big one after chemo, which apparently causes brittle bones 🙃

I’m normally a bit of a wimp in descending, especially on anything twisty, but the section I was fastest on was a long straight section with an incredibly smooth road surface and no junctions so you can just got for it.

i was on a hire bike too. It was a Wilier with Campag gearing and there was something about it that inspired confidence.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I thought of this recently when looking at some info on Strava. Living in flat Suffolk is (Mostly ?) the reason my highest recorded / remembered speed was 36.something MPH I think…..

Top Bottom