The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Finally got round to repairing a puncture in the tube I took out a few days ago

I have 2 large tubes of rubber solution and a new sheet of patch material - so I should be fine

found the hole - little tear
difficult because the tuce seems to have FOUR seams - whcih seems excessive - but I could trim the patch to stay between two of them

anyway - put the rubber on (stop sniggering at the back!!) and waite d- then put the patch on
all seemed well

went to test it and it still deflated - slower but still going down

so went back to the sink
the patch seemed fine - but there was another leak just round from it and up a bit

and then I found the original problem which I had patched with a self adhesive patch was leaking as well

plus another one somewhere else

a week ago the tube was just fine - now it has 4 holes in it!!!
do these things have a self destruct date or something????

anyway - it's in the bin
have to buy another one!

I know it’s a bit wasteful but I just replace rather than repair. Touch wood it’s been so long I wouldn’t be surprised if my stock of tubes have perished!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My grandson is on his way to Scotland as he is climbing Ben Nevis tomorrow.
The forecast is dreadful at 5°
and heavy rain.
The family have tried to talk him out of it to no avail.

I have hundreds of high mountain days under my belt but looking at the forecast for tomorrow on MWIS (Mountain Weather Information Service) I wouldn't bother going.

At best it is going to be a crap day out and at worst xxxxing dangerous.

Even at 900m wind is gusting up to 35mph and windchill factor is around 0C. And 900m is only two thirds of the way up. Summit conditions will be much, much worse. Add in cloud cover and even the most experienced and well equipped would have a very tough day on their hands.

Not only is your grandson putting himself at risk but mountain-goers like him put the MRT guys and girls at risk too. Beyond stupid. No offence to you intended Dave.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have hundreds of high mountain days under my belt but looking at the forecast for tomorrow on MWIS (Mountain Weather Information Service) I wouldn't bother going.

Even at 900m wind is gusting up to 35mph and windchill factor is around 0C. And 900m is only two thirds of the way up. Summit conditions will be much, much worse. Add in cloud cover and even the most experienced and well equipped would have a very tough day on their hands.

Not only is your grandson putting himself at risk but mountain-goers like him put the MRT guys and girls at risk too. Beyond stupid. No offence to you intended Dave.

I have forwarded this to him together with my thoughts

I agree

many years ago I took my daughter to Llyn Idwal in North Wales and the wind was so strong she literally took off in some strong gusts and I ended up flying her like a kite!

we went back to the car with her Uncle and me walking down with her between us
(her Mum was moaning that her walk was cut short - should have ditched that bitch many years before I did!)

she was about 9 at the time - so not all that small!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I agree

many years ago I took my daughter to Llyn Idwal in North Wales and the wind was so strong she literally took off in some strong gusts and I ended up flying her like a kite!

we went back to the car with her Uncle and me walking down with her between us
(her Mum was moaning that her walk was cut short - should have ditched that bitch many years before I did!)

she was about 9 at the time - so not all that small!

That's young for a wife.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Eagle has landed. :okay:
IMG_20240809_150728079_HDR.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I’ve been disappointed with the BBC coverage. Far too much of the pundits sitting talking in the studio even although you can see stuff going on in the background. Eurosport’s coverage has been much better.

Just the riverside trail walked this morning. It is a tad breezy here and to get stronger later with showers.

I’ve sent away for some Scholl liquid stuff to try on my corns. I’m sure it will work better than fishcakes :laugh:

Yes, I think if there had been a “Pundit Talking” event, BBC would got gold. I dread to think how much it is costing us to pay all these windbags.

PaulSB

Squire
Finally got round to repairing a puncture in the tube I took out a few days ago

I have 2 large tubes of rubber solution and a new sheet of patch material - so I should be fine

found the hole - little tear
difficult because the tuce seems to have FOUR seams - whcih seems excessive - but I could trim the patch to stay between two of them

anyway - put the rubber on (stop sniggering at the back!!) and waite d- then put the patch on
all seemed well

went to test it and it still deflated - slower but still going down

so went back to the sink
the patch seemed fine - but there was another leak just round from it and up a bit

and then I found the original problem which I had patched with a self adhesive patch was leaking as well

plus another one somewhere else

a week ago the tube was just fine - now it has 4 holes in it!!!
do these things have a self destruct date or something????

anyway - it's in the bin
have to buy another one!

This is why I simply put in a new tube and bin the old one.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes, I think if there had been a “Pundit Talking” event, BBC would got gold. I dread to think how much it is costing us to pay all these windbags.

I stand to be corrected here, but the BBC only bought certain feeds from certain events. Each event was 'sold' separately. That is why there is a lot of filling in by the pundits even when other events are taking place.

Top Bottom