The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I use the Met Office weather app and don't bother with the BBC data.
I also use a Weather app called "YR" it really is very good. Provided by the Norwegian Met Office it seems to be the most accurate the most often

I use xcweather https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/CV6_4GX they seem to get it right most of the time.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I spent one hour waiting for them to answer my call, with no success, luckily it was an 0800 number. I might try to talk to them on line. The B****rds are quick to take my money on renewal day though but not so quick to talk to you. Like all insurances, they promise you lots to join but crap to deliver. Doesn't that remind you of politicians?

D

Deleted member 1258

I got back from Hatton about quarter past one having ridden 53 miles, a very autumnal morning, cool grey with a stiff breeze, but it stayed dry. On the way out I was following a regular route but when I got to Badesley Clinton they had closed Rising lane for road works but I was able to slip through, on the way back I was following the longer route out through Hockley Heath but then had to divert down Chapel Lane to avoid the road works, that took me past the small chapel and down the side of the canal then onto Bakers lane to bring me out on the main road then a right turn to take me into Chadwick End to pick up my regular route home. An enjoyable morning out on my bike, but a bit more warmth would have been nice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got back from Hatton about quarter past one having ridden 53 miles, a very autumnal morning, cool grey with a stiff breeze, but it stayed dry. On the way out I was following a regular route but when I got to Badesley Clinton they had closed Rising lane for road works but I was able to slip through, on the way back I was following the longer route out through Hockley Heath but then had to divert down Chapel Lane to avoid the road works, that took me past the small chapel and down the side of the canal then onto Bakers lane to bring me out on the main road then a right turn to take me into Chadwick End to pick up my regular route home. An enjoyable morning out on my bike, but a bit more warmth would have been nice.
If my bike hadn't been stolen from school when I was 13 I would have got to ride to the places that you ride to. As it was, I mostly rode no further than the Corley and Fillongley area.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We have landed in the Red Cow Inn at East Brent.
Back to the van after lunch.
IMG-20200907-WA0000.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1258

If my bike hadn't been stolen from school when I was 13 I would have got to ride to the places that you ride to. As it was, I mostly rode no further than the Corley and Fillongley area.

I only know about these places because I was a club rider from around 1985 to about 2008, they were the days before garmins and google maps, we learned our way round from the more experienced riders and the ordinance survey maps, if i got dropped and the group didn't wait I had to work out my way home or to the cafe myself. These days i don't get as far out as I did in those days, I don't have time, I have to be back one half one time to look after my Good lady.

I only know about these places because I was a club rider from around 1985 to about 2008, they were the days before garmins and google maps, we learned our way round from the more experienced riders and the ordinance survey maps, if i got dropped and the group didn't wait I had to work out my way home or to the cafe myself. These days i don't get as far out as I did in those days, I don't have time, I have to be back one half one time to look after my Good lady.
1985 overlaps with my time in that part of the world, many an early morning time trial start at Leek Wootton :smile:.
I also got to know the road through Balsall Common well, 1984 in particular when I was commuting between home in Shirley and studies at Warwick Uni.

pawl

Legendary Member

You get further out than i do.Then again I’m turning into a lazy sod:laugh:Keep riding and reporting Dave r
a lot of the places you visit I remember from my club days.Perhaps I’ll get my finger out and ride a bit further
Take care.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Today I accompanied Mrs Tenkay on a shopping trip to Marks and Sparks. A couple of photos from last years walking of St Cuthberts Way made her aware that she'd put on a bit of weight so a new regime commenced. Not a diet as such, more a healthy eating routine and after almost a year she is now pleased to be a size 8.

We walked to a huge retail park nearby, "Fort Kinnaird", and that's where my traumatic afternoon commenced. I thought I'd entered an alternative reality and stumbled into an episode of "Father Ted", the one where the Priests get lost in the ladies underwear department. There appeared to be acres and acres of foundation garments in various exotic shapes and patterns, accompanied by equally exotic names. I saw "High Leg" "Brazilian" and "Thong" and several others before escaping to the safety of the Food Hall.
After kicking my heels for 20 minutes with still no sign of Mrs Tenkay I ventured back. Curiosity got the better of me and as the coast seemed clear I wandered through the frilly fripperies hoping to catch sight of Welshies Bloomers. All to no avail. It was only later, after escaping to the pub and ordering a pint to help alleviate my post traumatic stress that I realised I was in the wrong neck of the woods for such exotic garments.
Hopefully that's the last of trekking around the shops for a while, though I've pencilled in a visit to the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op as a reward for my stoicism 🚲🚲

Top Bottom