The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Squire
Great result for Forest yesterday. As more of a follower than a fan, been to a couple games, but not fanatical, the last couple seasons have had me looking /hoping for results against lower level teams and desperately hoping for draws against the big teams .
A huge result ...

Dave7

Legendary Member
Great result for Forest yesterday. As more of a follower than a fan, been to a couple games, but not fanatical, the last couple seasons have had me looking /hoping for results against lower level teams and desperately hoping for draws against the big teams .
A huge result ...

As a lifelong Lfc fan I hope you don't mind if I disagree with some of those sentiments ^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
16 yellows in a match that was a million miles away from being even remotely 'dirty'.

How Anthony Taylor is a top-flight referee beggars belief.

7 so far in the first half of the Arsenal game, which is a record.

If you want to see refereeing incompetence on another level, check out the highlights of St. Mirren v Killie yesterday. And this was from a ref who's viewed as being quality by the powers that be and been given European games to oversee. He had clearly lost control of the game within 20 minutes and it only got worse from there.

My own bias aside, it was unbelievable what was getting being picked up for a look by VAR and what wasn't.

PaulSB

Squire
It maybe a silly competition or not but if you are given a chance to be in it then you are going to do your darnest to win it.

I still remember when West Ham won it last year and it was brilliant night.After all it's still a European trophy on your cv.

I'm pretty sure if Rovers ever got into the final you wouldn't be dismissing it?

I do take your point but I stand by my opinion. I should point out one thing, I was commenting on the new Champions League format, not the Conference which the Hammers won in 2022/23. I have no idea what format the Conference takes for the 2024/25 season. However unlikely, if Rovers were in the Champions League of course I would want them to win it. That would not distract from my view it has become a silly competition in the sense the new format is designed to generate money while making the CL less competitive and creating the potential for many meaningless games.

I feel you missed my point. Under the new format 8-9 points should be sufficient to secure a finish in a play-off spot, after three games a club could effectively be through. A points total of 14-15 should secure a top eight place meaning after five games, the final three for a club could be meaningless. A part of EUFA's stated aim is "It will also result in more competitive matches for every club across the board." The points totals required to qualify mean 3 - 5 games for any club are potentially irrelevant. Would a top European club, knowing it had already secured a top eight spot, put out a full strength team against a relative minnow? I don't think so. City facing Liverpool the following Saturday, both teams have qualified........lets put out the reserves.

Aston Villa have increased their prices for CL games by up to 55%, with the majority paying £70 - £97. Yes, they've got some juicy home fixtures but a 55% increase? Is this reasonable?

Once a club has qualified it has to be questionable if there is any value in a competition which charges top dollar to watch two sides battle it out to decide if they will finish 21st or 22nd. The result is an irrelevance.

So, yes, I think the new format is silly doing little more than to introduce two more games into an already crowded schedule just to generate more revenue.

Last edited:
I've just been having a look at the pots/seedings for the Conference League proper. Copenhagen are in Pot 1 along with Chelsea, Lask, Fiorentina, Gent and Real Betis.

There are some wild teams in that competition overall. I think it might become my favourite European competition.
It's a very silly competition which will create a lot of meaningless matches. I've read it's probable that after 3 - 5 games most clubs will have a decent idea of their final standing. Are fans going to turn out to watch sides compete to finish 6/7th or 21st/22nd. Another example of pointless European football.

The European Cup was a competition, since then it's largely been nonsense.
@PaulSB This was your reply to @AndyRM who was talking about the Conference League so i didn't think i did miss the point.
Anyway i do see what you mean about the new format and how if i was being cynical it's been changed to increase UEFA'S coffers.:okay:

PaulSB

Squire
@PaulSB This was your reply to @AndyRM who was talking about the Conference League so i didn't think i did miss the point.
Anyway i do see what you mean about the new format and how if i was being cynical it's been changed to increase UEFA'S coffers.:okay:

I've just looked back. You're absolutely right, I had quoted Andy talking about the Conference and I was talking about the CL. I suspect I'd recently been reading about the new CL format and was feeling a somewhat miffed about it.

Mea culpa, mea culpa....................

AndyRM

XOXO
I've just looked back. You're absolutely right, I had quoted Andy talking about the Conference and I was talking about the CL. I suspect I'd recently been reading about the new CL format and was feeling a somewhat miffed about it.

Mea culpa, mea culpa....................

Fully appreciate that I may have added to the confusion as I was kind of talking about both in the same post. But I think we're all broadly saying the same thing!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Pretty much hits the nail on the head. I stopped watching European football a long time ago because it's dull, repetitive and boring.

Quite funny seeing the arse cheeks getting thrashed by FC Xthyrwotk from Bratislava though ^_^

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And we get crazy results like Bayern 9-2 Zagreb. And Aston Villa beating Young Boys 3-0 away. This is supposed to be the best football in the world.

Both those teams get a mention in the article above. They are always going to get entry to the competition but never progress. But all the time dominating their leagues due to the CL cash.

Top Bottom