The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So back to real football and the east Lancashire derby. Some argue it's THE derby. AKA The Lancashire Classico! 🤣 Rovers are at Turf Moor today for a game which is more about local bragging rights than anything. With Burnley 5th and Rovers 3rd there's added meaning to the game today.

I'll watch on the telly as I gave up going to Turf Moor years back. It used to be Rovers would only be able to buy a ticket if we agreed to use the club travel. Much as I objected to this I did it. Then one year I went with my lads only to find the Cricket Field concourse so tightly packed it was dangerous.

I took the boys up to the stand, where we sat freezing for an hour waiting for kick off. Never again. I've been in the Burnley directors box 2-3 times since.

The match? Most Burnley fans are far from happy and I hear there's unrest on the terraces and in the dressing room. We are feeling pretty bouyant after a good start to the season (forget Blackpool!) and a decent transfer window - the first in years.

There's no form guide for this match, there rarely is. The outcome will be decided by which team turns up on the day and who "wants it."

Another BIG derby on Sunday is Manu Vs Lpool.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's a very silly competition which will create a lot of meaningless matches. I've read it's probable that after 3 - 5 games most clubs will have a decent idea of their final standing. Are fans going to turn out to watch sides compete to finish 6/7th or 21st/22nd. Another example of pointless European football.

The European Cup was a competition, since then it's largely been nonsense.

I don't disagree with any of that about the Conference League but it's the only realistic chance a club like mine have of European football so I'll take it.

Totally agree about the "Champions" League. It should be winners of leagues only, not fourth placed teams. At least they've stopped the whole dropping into the Europa League nonsense, which always seemed unfair to me.

Slick

Guru
Any Rangers fans with something to say about Todd Cantwell? Opinions on the web seem sharply divided between love and hate! There's a surprise. 😮
Yeah, I liked him, although I do feel he flattered to deceive at times. I always feel with Rangers, if you can't do it week in week out as well as motivate yourself for a wet Wednesday night in Dingwall after a glamour European tie, your not going to cut it. Good playmaker and look at his best when running at defender's, but just didn't do it often enough up here.

Slick

Guru
A couple of last minute signings for Rangers who will need to hit the ground running if they are going to make an impact to the current squad.

A baptism of fire for them on Sunday will show them up for them true selves as that is definitely a sink or swim environment.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Happy with the result. Down to ten men following a stupid red card. A well organised Rovers denied Burnley any efforts on goal for 60 minutes.

It was a good result for the Rovers. I couldn't listen to it on unbiased, due to the location of both clubs Radio Lancashire due to nerves, being a still have a soft spot for BRFC chap. Instead I put https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cgedznggp3pt on my laptop and kept looking at it every now and then, hoping the Dingles didn't score again, more that hoping Rovers got another. The added time seemed to go on and on. I'm sure it went to 90 + 12 minutes! :ohmy:

Last edited:

Seevio

Guru
It was a good result for the Rovers. I couldn't listen to it on unusually unbiased, due to the location of both clubs Radio Lancashire due to nerves, being a still have a soft spot for BRFC chap.
It was indeed a good result for Rovers. I'm not sure why Radio Lancashire would cover a home game against Cambridge but fair play to them.

PaulSB

Squire
I've read an interview with Harry Kane who should win his 100th cap against Finland tonight. Kane talks about a target of 100 England goals, he is currently on 66. It's good to have targets but at 31 is he realistic? I hope this doesn't mean we're potentially stuck with him for the next 3 - 4 years. There was little about his Euros form to suggest he should be in the side.

postman

Squire
Tell me it is a joke and not true.But over here I have read a female pundit suggesting female teams be allowed in the men's league.is she kidding,or is it a wind up.

It's a very silly competition which will create a lot of meaningless matches. I've read it's probable that after 3 - 5 games most clubs will have a decent idea of their final standing. Are fans going to turn out to watch sides compete to finish 6/7th or 21st/22nd. Another example of pointless European football.

The European Cup was a competition, since then it's largely been nonsense.

It maybe a silly competition or not but if you are given a chance to be in it then you are going to do your darnest to win it.

I still remember when West Ham won it last year and it was brilliant night.After all it's still a European trophy on your cv.

I'm pretty sure if Rovers ever got into the final you wouldn't be dismissing it?

Top Bottom