The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a time when that was normal.
Hence the jumpers for goalposts comment.

Even though most Dutch teams play 3-3-4 or 4-4-2 nowadays, people still refer to playing positions by the old 2-3-5 system. Wingbacks are badly served.

Edit: "4-4-2" added

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It hasnt changed that much tbh. Teams didn't play a flat 5 up front.
The inside forwards were pretty much box to box midfielders in the role they did.

LW - CF -RW
LH IL IR RH
LB - CH -RB

potsy

Rambler
The other thing about Szmodics is he scored twice at Leicester on the final day of the season. This win kept us up. Had we lost Birmingham would have stayed up and Rovers down. Sammie literally did save us from relegation that day.

We badly needed more goals from more players.

Do you think you can keep hold of him Paul?
If a decent bid comes in how likely are you to sell?

Maybe Wrexham as they are getting desperate for a big name striker before the window closes?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Maybe Wrexham as they are getting desperate for a big name striker before the window closes?

he's on his way to Ipswich if you believe the press rumours, he certainly wont be going down to league 1.

PaulSB

Squire

The position with Ipswich is they have made a number of bids that have not met Rovers valuation. I have no idea what that valuation is. Most of these stories/rumours can be traced to a Sun journalist, Alan Nixon, who has been hanging around Ewood for as long as I can recall. I always question the validity of his reports.

I think one needs to look at the picture beyond 2023/24. He will 29 in September. He's under contract till June 2026. We have him for two more seasons unless the price is matched.

Colchester 6 seasons played 142 games, 35 goals
Bristol City one season, 3 games, no goals
Peterborough 3 years, 89 games, 25 goals
Rovers 2022/23 34 games, 5 goals, 2023/24 44 games, 27 goals

Great guy. Good attitude. We love him. I can see why Ipswich are in for him. We have no cash and they want a striker. The player would probably jump at a chance in the PL. Is he a PL striker? No one else is showing any interest. The bulk of his goals come from a particular style and I don't think that's enough for a real PL striker. Rovers are basically saying we want to keep him but if you're prepared to pay the price he can go. I think he'd be better off at Rovers but I wouldn't begrudge him his chance if Ipswich come up with the money. He's definitely a very good Championship striker but I have my doubts about his PL potential.

I think established PL clubs are very wary of one-season wonders. Look at Brereton Diaz, one great half season, goals dried up after Christmas. Went to Villa Real in summer 2023 on a four year deal and found himself loaned back to Sheffield United six months later. The grass isn't always greener.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The position with Ipswich is they have made a number of bids that have not met Rovers valuation. I have no idea what that valuation is. Most of these stories/rumours can be traced to a Sun journalist, Alan Nixon, who has been hanging around Ewood for as long as I can recall. I always question the validity of his reports.

I think one needs to look at the picture beyond 2023/24. He will 29 in September. He's under contract till June 2026. We have him for two more seasons unless the price is matched.

Colchester 6 seasons played 142 games, 35 goals
Bristol City one season, 3 games, no goals
Peterborough 3 years, 89 games, 25 goals
Rovers 2022/23 34 games, 5 goals, 2023/24 44 games, 27 goals

Great guy. Good attitude. We love him. I can see why Ipswich are in for him. We have no cash and they want a striker. The player would probably jump at a chance in the PL. Is he a PL striker? No one else is showing any interest. The bulk of his goals come from a particular style and I don't think that's enough for a real PL striker. Rovers are basically saying we want to keep him but if you're prepared to pay the price he can go. I think he'd be better off at Rovers but I wouldn't begrudge him his chance if Ipswich come up with the money. He's definitely a very good Championship striker but I have my doubts about his PL potential.

I think established PL clubs are very wary of one-season wonders. Look at Brereton Diaz, one great half season, goals dried up after Christmas. Went to Villa Real in summer 2023 on a four year deal and found himself loaned back to Sheffield United six months later. The grass isn't always greener.

It's a similar situation to Boro at this.time last year. Akpom had come off the back of a wonder season, having not done a great deal in his career to date, was championship top scorer and scored the bulk of Boro's goals. The lure of Champs league with Ajax was too good to turn down for him and the £10-12m too good to resist for Boro.
We signed a relatively raw unknown replacement for £2-3m in Latte Lath and were in a similar position again, although there seems less interest, Wolves are sniffing but I think we'll hang onto him, we don't need to sell

AndyRM

XOXO
Were away at Tromso in the Conference League 3rd round qualifier tonight. It's been a bit of an inauspicious start to the season really and a win tonight would be a big boost both financially and for the fans.

I'm not hugely confident to be honest but you never know!

One for the fact fans: The Rommsa Arena is the most northerly stadium used in European football.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One for the fact fans: The Rommsa Arena is the most northerly stadium used in European football.

Worth the away trip for bragging rights alone I reckon, although I suspect direct flights from Glasgow scarce to non-existent. :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Worth the away trip for bragging rights alone I reckon, although I suspect direct flights from Glasgow scarce to non-existent. :laugh:

We were only allocated 300 tickets, which I think were all taken in the end. Furtherst afield I've been with Killie was Reykjavik which was wild.

Most flights involve a stopover from wherever you go (Manchester or Edinburgh seem the most popular departure points), then changing at Paris or Oslo before a trip to the tiny wee island that somehow has 40,000 people living on it!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Were away at Tromso in the Conference League 3rd round qualifier tonight. It's been a bit of an inauspicious start to the season really and a win tonight would be a big boost both financially and for the fans.

I'm not hugely confident to be honest but you never know!

I went to Tromso for a Chelsea cup game in 97. Flipping heck it was so very cold. And it snowed.. heavy.. during the match.
It was a mad old match, Chelsea went 2 nil down, before a mad 5 minutes in which Tromso scored another and the magnificent Vialli scored 2. Tromso came away 3-2 winners.
Payback for the return leg was brutal for Tromso. They got spanked 7-1 at the Bridge with a Vialli hatrick.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We were only allocated 300 tickets, which I think were all taken in the end. Furthers afield I've been with Killie was Reykjavik which was wild.

Most flights involve a stopover from wherever you go (Manchester or Edinburgh seem the most popular departure points), then changing at Paris or Oslo before a trip to the tiny wee island that somehow has 40,000 people living on it!

Journey sounds a bit like Boro's trip to Xanthi in Greece back in our glorious European biennial of the mid 2000's. There was about 100 away fans braved an arduous journey for a 0-0 draw to secure 2-0 aggregate progression.

AndyRM

XOXO
I went to Tromso for a Chelsea cup game in 97. Flipping heck it was so very cold. And it snowed.. heavy.. during the match.
It was a mad old match, Chelsea went 2 nil down, before a mad 5 minutes in which Tromso scored another and the magnificent Vialli scored 2. Tromso came away 3-2 winners.
Payback for the return leg was brutal for Tromso. They got spanked 7-1 at the Bridge with a Vialli hatrick.

According to their wiki page, Chelsea, Galatasaray, Besiktas and Red Star Belgrade have all lost there. Should we lose tonight I'll be editing the page to add Killie to that illustrious list which will be comfort of sorts.

Vialli was some player. A firm favourite of mine from that era.

Top Bottom