The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
That's a shame. Hopefully the younger players take the chance to step up.

Just seen the team, we will be lucky to keep it down to a 5 or 6 goal defeat :eek:

PaulSB

Squire
I enjoyed my visit to Edgeley Park, and not just because of the result. A good compact ground, enjoyable walk through the streets (I like going to football grounds, not retail parks), easy ground access, clean concourse, very good seats and view. One slight moan. There seems to be a "dark patch" in the lighting at the Railway Road end. This stretches across the penalty area meaning the players disappear into a gloom and it's very hard to see what's happening.

County made 10 changes while Rovers started with 9 of the 11 players who finished our league game against Derby. In other words Eustace played a Championship team rather than a second choice eleven. From what I gather County had 9/10 injuries. This was a shame as it lead to a one-sided match which Rovers dominated throughout. County were restricted to two shots against Rovers 24 attempts.

I was pleased to see very controlled and accurate passing from Rovers with a player always ready and available to receive. The friend I went with commented how he thought many of Rovers longer passes were hopeful until he realised the receiver and ball kept arriving together!

Ten goals in two games suggests the manager is addressing our goal scoring problems from last season.

Boy was it wet!!

PaulSB

Squire
@potsy a question. In the Championship clubs have to offer equal pricing to home and away fans. So at Ewood the Blackburn (home) and Darwen (away) ends cost the same. The facilities are identical.

Does this happen in League One or Two? I only ask because I gather the uncovered Railway Road end is the usual away section. The facilities appear to be very different to those in the Cheadle End. Just wondered how this works?

potsy

Rambler
@potsy a question. In the Championship clubs have to offer equal pricing to home and away fans. So at Ewood the Blackburn (home) and Darwen (away) ends cost the same. The facilities are identical.

Does this happen in League One or Two? I only ask because I gather the uncovered Railway Road end is the usual away section. The facilities appear to be very different to those in the Cheadle End. Just wondered how this works?

The Railway end has been the usual away stand, it has changed a little in recent years with it being opened up to home fans when a small away following is expected.
Then the away fans would be in the last block or two of the Pop side.

There are plans drawn up to increase capacity and the Railway end is the first part of the plan I believe.

As for the game, it's a shame we couldn't put out a stronger team, with the injury crisis I completely understand the reasoning.
We have maybe 12 fit outfield players at the minute, most of last night's team were fringe players with a lot of 16 yr old academy players.

We even got another injury last night, and ironically it was to one of the only senior players!!

Glad you enjoyed your visit, maybe we'll meet again soon in a league game ;)

Came round quick eh?
Screenshot_20240813_194134_Samsung Internet.jpg

Still replaying that Bruno non-goal in my head.
A thing of beauty.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ten goals in two games suggests the manager is addressing our goal scoring problems from last season.

what problem was that last season?? Smodiczyxcjks was top scorer in the championship and you outscored every team in the lower half of the table (bar watford who got 1 more)

You did however concede more goals than every other team bar the bottom two.

PaulSB

Squire
what problem was that last season?? Smodiczyxcjks was top scorer in the championship and you outscored every team in the lower half of the table (bar watford who got 1 more)

You did however concede more goals than every other team bar the bottom two.

I'm aware of how we performed last season and the reasons we performed below expectations. League scorers:

Szmodics 27
Dolan 5
Sigurdsson 5
Gallagher 3
Leonard 3
Hedges 2
Morning 2
Rankin 2
Wharton 2
Brittain 1
Garret 1
Hill 1
Pickering 1
Hyam 1
Mark andy 1

So Sammie 27 goals, the rest 30 (14 players). Without Szmodics we would have been relegated. Yes, we had a scoring problem which needed addressing. I think anyone who follows football could see that. The other point is Szmodics scored +/- 60 goals in his previous 9 seasons. Hardly nailed on as a regular scorer.

Same happened a couple of years ago. Very reliant on Diaz and suddenly his goals dried up.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm aware of how we performed last season and the reasons we performed below expectations. League scorers:

Szmodics 27 (34)
Dolan 5
Sigurdsson 5
Gallagher 3
Leonard 3
Hedges 2
Morning 2
Rankin 2
Wharton 2
Brittain 1
Garret 1
Hill 1
Pickering 1
Hyam 1
Mark andy 1

So Sammie 27 goals, the rest 30 (14 players). Without Szmodics we would have been relegated. Yes, we had a scoring problem which needed addressing. I think anyone who follows football could see that. The other point is Szmodics scored +/- 60 goals in his previous 9 seasons. Hardly nailed on as a regular scorer.

Same happened a couple of years ago. Very reliant on Diaz and suddenly his goals dried up.

You need a forward line like this, to my knowledge the only time it has been done

"Chester's fortunes began to take a turn for the better after the surprise appointment of South African Peter Hauser as manager in 1963. He was to provide an entertaining period for the club, as they challenged for promotion from Division Four. The most memorable campaign was 1964–65, when all five forwards managed 20 goals (a unique achievement) as Chester managed 119 in Football League games alone. However, the club missed the promotion boat, and the following season saw them slip from a near-certain elevation after failing to recover from the broken legs suffered by full-backs Bryn Jones and Ray Jones in the 1 January win over Aldershot."

PaulSB

Squire
The other thing about Szmodics is he scored twice at Leicester on the final day of the season. This win kept us up. Had we lost Birmingham would have stayed up and Rovers down. Sammie literally did save us from relegation that day.

We badly needed more goals from more players.

Top Bottom