The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
England seem to be playing to the mantra that you don't need to be the best team in the competition, you just need to not be the worst team on the pitch. If, and only if. they can keep it up it will take them far but sweet Jesus, it's boring to watch.

Tonight seemed to be, find a pass. Receiving player holds onto the ball until all team-mates are marked and opposition closes down. Finds pass to next player. Rinse and repeat.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I listened to the game on the radio broadcast. It didn't sound good. I view England's group performances as a bordering on top six Premier League side playing against Denmark/Premier League strugglers, Serbia/League One and Slovenia/League Two. Last night was similar to Aston Villa playing my beloved Accrington Stanley. Let's continue to hope, rather than expect England to beat whoever we face next! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
I was reading last night that before the way the draw is done all the "favourites" can't avoid each other in one route and England are in the other, easier route.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England seem to be playing to the mantra that you don't need to be the best team in the competition, you just need to not be the worst team on the pitch. If, and only if. they can keep it up it will take them far but sweet Jesus, it's boring to watch.

Tonight seemed to be, find a pass. Receiving player holds onto the ball until all team-mates are marked and opposition closes down. Finds pass to next player. Rinse and repeat.

The passing about is so slow. Every player takes 3 or 4 touches.
Have none of them ever heard of one touch passing.
Plus it would be good if they occasionally just played a long ball into the box to get things going and give us some excitement.

Chislenko

Veteran
The passing about is so slow. Every player takes 3 or 4 touches.
Have none of them ever heard of one touch passing.
Plus it would be good if they occasionally just played a long ball into the box to get things going and give us some excitement.

Must admit modern football in general really frustrates me nowadays. This endless passing the ball around at the back, sometimes ending in disaster.

AndyRM

XOXO
Screenshot_2024-06-26-08-56-43-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

I presume this is written (or at least re-posted) in jest ... but there's some truth in the value of an old-fashioned bruiser that can make trouble in the box (even if you only use him as a sub after trying everything else). Particularly against a short defence!

AndyRM

XOXO
I presume this is written (or at least re-posted) in jest ... but there's some truth in the value of an old-fashioned bruiser that can make trouble in the box (even if you only use him as a sub after trying everything else). Particularly against a short defence!

I meant to type the context but got distracted...

A friend and I used to play Virtua Striker all the time. Each team has one player who has an unbeatable trick move (the version of Batistuta could do diving headers from anywhere, Campos could run the length of the pitch and score etc).

England's player is Heskey. From kick off if you boot the ball straight down the park he will somehow be on the edge of the box and leather the ball past the keeper. Every. Single. Time.

So yes, based purely on Virtua Striker, Emile is exactly what England are missing.

Mike_P

Guru
The lack of movement by England players is frightening.
It use to be said cricket was the only outdoor sport you could put weight on playing but now...

Watching England go forward is like watching a crab moving along the beach. There is more side to side movement than forward motion. And all this poncing about in your own penalty area is simply playing with fire, particularly as many goalkeepers don't appear to know their arse from their elbow when it comes to outfield play. There are occasions when keeping possession just becomes an excercise for it's own sake - putting your laces through the ball and sending it into the opposing half might be unfashionable but there are times when it just works, and it can scare the crap out of the opposition.

Top Bottom