The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be honest the Welsh set up is even more mental with the biggest sides playing in England, how's that meant to help?!

It's the only way they get decent competition. If Wales had its own league that included the likes of Cardiff. Swansea, Wrexham and Newport gates would be tiny, other than the 3-way South Wales derbies, and the only way for good players to get decent development, competition and salaries would be to play in English clubs. As is happening in Rugby.

Mike_P

Guru
And Wrexham most likely would not be a Hollywood offspring.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, there's nobody coming through like that for either of us, really. Uruguay are similarly tiny but have won loads.

Nevin reckons we have a World Cup left in us. I think he's been on the Buckie...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cg666v565wzo

We seem incapable of nurturing talent, and in Scotland at least that's because the SFA are totally incompetent and can't see past the Old Firm who could/should be investing their wealth in the Scottish game but instead go for "glamorous" foreign players. It's absolutely maddening and will probably never change, such is the level of expectation on those sides (from their fans, and also outsiders who see Scotland as "needing" them).

To be honest the Welsh set up is even more mental with the biggest sides playing in England, how's that meant to help?!

Have you been to Auchenhowie recently? I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say no, because if you had, you would maybe have half an idea of exactly how much Rangers invest in grassroots football. Yes we haven't had huge success, but that doesn't stop them trying. Also, if Rangers are bringing in a foreign right back for example, that should just mean there's more local options for other teams. If they are good enough they will make it regardless of where Rangers buy their players. Not everything wrong with Scottish football can be placed at Rangers door, there's a myriad of organisations whose sole reason for being is to nurture young talent, yet as we already know, its pretty scarce.

AndyRM

XOXO
Have you been to Auchenhowie recently? I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say no, because if you had, you would maybe have half an idea of exactly how much Rangers invest in grassroots football. Yes we haven't had huge success, but that doesn't stop them trying. Also, if Rangers are bringing in a foreign right back for example, that should just mean there's more local options for other teams. If they are good enough they will make it regardless of where Rangers buy their players. Not everything wrong with Scottish football can be placed at Rangers door, there's a myriad of organisations whose sole reason for being is to nurture young talent, yet as we already know, its pretty scarce.

I've a vague idea, but no, I don't appreciate the full extent of their investment but my perception (rightly or wrongly) is that it's not enough.

Apologies, I wasn't aiming my frustration at Rangers exclusively, I know how far reaching the issues are.

Chislenko

Veteran

Reading the first line I thought it may be a German POW camp

Slick

Guru
I've a vague idea, but no, I don't appreciate the full extent of their investment but my perception (rightly or wrongly) is that it's not enough.

Apologies, I wasn't aiming my frustration at Rangers exclusively, I know how far reaching the issues are.

I would suggest you haven't really got even a vague idea because if you did, you wouldn’t have said that. I still go to see different games over there at all ages and its really something to see.

No apologies required though, I know it wasn't directed at one in particular, but I can't comment about the other mob.

Slick

Guru
Although, the actual truth is, it isn't.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So England have definitely qualified. Hopefully that will relieve some pressure.
But they need to either win the group or finish 3rd.
Finishing second gives them a confirmed match against Germany. Where as it’s a bit more pot luck if they finish third.

AndyRM

XOXO
This sums things up about Scotland really...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgrrr5ky61po

Quite looking forward to England playing without any shackles or expectations tonight. Obviously Southgate will let them off the leash and go absolutely wild against Slovenia!

But in reality they do really want to top the group so that as things stand they'll be up against Austria. Get a goal, sit in, business as usual.

Watching Pickford going mental should be fun either way. I never know if he's just taking out his frustration about having tiny little T-Rex arms on his defenders or if there's something else going on.

Slick

Guru
This sums things up about Scotland really...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgrrr5ky61po

Quite looking forward to England playing without any shackles or expectations tonight. Obviously Southgate will let them off the leash and go absolutely wild against Slovenia!

But in reality they do really want to top the group so that as things stand they'll be up against Austria. Get a goal, sit in, business as usual.

Watching Pickford going mental should be fun either way. I never know if he's just taking out his frustration about having tiny little T-Rex arms on his defenders or if there's something else going on.

Yeah, its not our fault we're 5hit, a big boy done it and ran away.

AndyRM

XOXO
A lovely symphony of beige from the pundits ahead of England's game, which seems oddly fitting...

IMG20240625180010~2.jpg

Top Bottom