The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes they do......

Lets use one now.....

Cyclist A is riding at 15 mph on an open road
Cyclist B is riding at 30mph plus, and far too close to the cyclist in front so that when that ride has a problem they are unable to stop or avoid a collision

Using the crystal ball, lets see if we can predict which one is going to be having the accident?
Either or neither depending on what random occurrence may happen as discussed previously when I listed some of the possible hazards of riding a bicycle.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are no plans to make cycle helmets compulsory(in Ireland) though they are proven to reduce serious injury, Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe has said.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So you really don't see that there is any difference in the risk between the two cases then?
Yes there is a difference in risk obviously, but anything can happen to any of the riders at any time, it's just more likely to happen to the two riders travelling at speed together, but if the solo rider just happens to be really unlucky he could have any number of accidents and the two riders travelling at speed could equally have no trouble whatsoever.

So are you suggesting we should never put ourselves in "risky" situations then?

Not at all, it has simply taken half a dozen pages for you to recognise that there are accidents at less than 30 mph, all that is needed now is for you to recognise that you can reduce these risks by not cycling in a dangerous manner

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Not at all, it has simply taken half a dozen pages for you to recognise that there are accidents at less than 30 mph, all that is needed now is for you to recognise that you can reduce these risks by not cycling in a dangerous manner
Yep and accidents at all speeds inbetween, and you don't need to be riding in a dangerous manner to have an accident, I nearly had one on Sunday when my front wheel was nearly washed out by a slippery drain cover in town, I stayed on board luckily and didn't have to "test" my helmet against the road surface.
By the way what's your definition of "dangerous manner" bit vague init?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Mjray said earlier that he had perhaps ridden at over 30mph twice since he started riding, just checked my strava feed and the only rides I can find where I haven't ridden over 30mph are the rides with my kids!
Here's one - a pretty slow ride with a mate
image.png

Maybe I'm just really "dangerous".

classic33

Leg End Member
Mjray said earlier that he had perhaps ridden at over 30mph twice since he started riding, just checked my strava feed and the only rides I can find where I haven't ridden over 30mph are the rides with my kids!
View attachment 106046
I've clocked 50 +10% +2 on four wheels freewheeling. What does that prove?

Yep and accidents at all speeds inbetween, and you don't need to be riding in a dangerous manner to have an accident, I nearly had one on Sunday when my front wheel was nearly washed out by a slippery drain cover in town, I stayed on board luckily and didn't have to "test" my helmet against the road surface.

At last you agree that the risk can be reduced... well done

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So... when it says 'Great' Helmet Debate, may we take it to mean Bog Standard Helmet Debate?

I don't have the sort of genitalia that are suited to waving, but there are one or two stretches of road where I fancy I might top 50mph. When it comes down to it, I invariably hit a fear barrier in the high 40s, which is gratifyingly endorsed by the last cycle computer I used, which clocked my top speed at 49.9. It may be inaccurate. Either way, when I am hurtling down Cilibion Hill or the road from Cray to Heol Senni, the possibility of smashing my unplasticked skull on the tarmac is just one of innumerable available fear scenarios holding me back from the magic number, and the bareheadedness merely a footnote to an unlikely catastrophe. Others include broadsiding a sheep and breaking my neck or back in a ditch with the phone landed just out of reach, providing carrion for graceful red kites until another cyclist stumbles across my bleached bones. I'm a little bit confused as to why the poxy polystyrene placebo thingy should be the clincher.

classic33

Leg End Member
So... when it says 'Great' Helmet Debate, may we take it to mean Bog Standard Helmet Debate?

I don't have the sort of genitalia that are suited to waving, but there are one or two stretches of road where I fancy I might top 50mph. When it comes down to it, I invariably hit a fear barrier in the high 40s, which is gratifyingly endorsed by the last cycle computer I used, which clocked my top speed at 49.9. It may be inaccurate. Either way, when I am hurtling down Cilibion Hill or the road from Cray to Heol Senni, the possibility of smashing my unplasticked skull on the tarmac is just one of innumerable available fear scenarios holding me back from the magic number, and the bareheadedness merely a footnote to an unlikely catastrophe. Others include broadsiding a sheep and breaking my neck or back in a ditch with the phone landed just out of reach, providing carrion for graceful red kites until another cyclist stumbles across my bleached bones. I'm a little bit confused as to why the poxy polystyrene placebo thingy should be the clincher.

Nor me(Lost to cancer). But at the speeds given by myself and the person to who I was replying, what difference would wearing a helmet make?
Injuries sustained at that speed are going to affect more more than just the head.

Even motor cycle helmets are tested at an impact speed of 13.66 mph. http://www.bikersrights.com/statistics/notsafe.html
HH..jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 106046

Thank you for posting this..... it is interesting that athough you have fixated on the 30 mph, the majority of the time you are travelling well below that

In fact the average speed you quote is achievable by a pedestrian as well, in fact for much of this trip you are slower than some "pedestrian" athletes

So the evidence you have provided actually shows in some cases pedestrian and cycling speeds to be very similar.... and not only that both groups are in close groups with little or no chance of avoiding the consequences of a fall if the peron in front deviates or loses grip onthe surface

Given these new figures should we not be asking why at these similar speeds one group should wear helmets and others not?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That's right incidents can occur at any speed, so maybe you can get down off that 30mph hobby horse you've been riding around on for the last too many pages, it's the head injury side of things we should be concentrating on. Which is of course what Adrian said to you which you claimed to not understand, which was then explained to you by two different posters, which you chose to completely ignore. It's almost as if....... nah, Adrian had said that previously too.

Top Bottom