The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Again down to reducing risks

I am much faster down hill on the trikes where I have a more stable base, no fall if a wheel loses grip and you can brake harder if required. I do speeds on these that I would never attempt on the tourers, Brompton or the two wheel recumbents

I've clocked 50 +10% +2 on four wheels freewheeling. What does that prove?

I have two speeding tickets for the old Trice..... a discussion with the MOD Police about the potential speeds for recumbent trikes, so we arranged for a test run at the back of the Airfield Service road.

They then clocked my speed on the two runs and issued tickets to prove the speeds

They then fined me!

Two pints of beer in the mess!

Anyway back to the original point about comparative groups.

A plastic hat is a functionless ornament until the head impacts a surface and then it may (or may not) be beneficial

So lets assume that a helmet does prevent the individual's injury every time

Then look at a cohort study of hospital admissions (for instance Thornhill's study in Glasgow)

The most common causes of injury were falls (43%) or assaults (34%); alcohol was often involved (61%), and a quarter reported treatment for a previous head injury.

Cyclists as a group don't even get a mention, however we can suggest that for every 100 admissions, we would have saved 43 fallers, 34 assault victims and 61 drinkers (and perhaps a couple of cyclists?)

Other figures look at road users only, Mayer Hillman suggested that for ever 16 cyclist head injuries that helmets prevented, some 40 vehicle occupants would be saved from injury

The unequivocal fact this that if we look at the actual incidence of head injury, the evidence is that far greater savings in NHS time, and personal costs of head injury would be made by introducing helmets in other groups rather than cyclists

Yet we have this fixation that somehow a person should prevent or reduce their head injury by waring a helmet when cycling yet not when participating in the activities where the intevention would have greater benefit

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Has anyone done a study to figure out how much energy is absorbed by the head worn perforated polystyrene ceiling tile (as worn by a hypothetical 100kg 2m tall cyclist going head over the bars)

a) if it survives an impact with a blunt object at 10mph, 15mph & 20mph (assuming said rider has scrubbed some speed off ;) )
b) if it suffers catastrophic structural failure, as most seem to do in "my helmet saved my life" photo's after an impact with a blunt object at the same speeds

Or similar?

and then hypothesised the degree to which the amount of energy absorbed, in both cases, is likely to reduce the likelihood of a brain injury?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thank you for posting this..... it is interesting that athough you have fixated on the 30 mph, the majority of the time you are travelling well below that

In fact the average speed you quote is achievable by a pedestrian as well, in fact for much of this trip you are slower than some "pedestrian" athletes

So the evidence you have provided actually shows in some cases pedestrian and cycling speeds to be very similar.... and not only that both groups are in close groups with little or no chance of avoiding the consequences of a fall if the peron in front deviates or loses grip onthe surface

Given these new figures should we not be asking why at these similar speeds one group should wear helmets and others not?
It was an example where during my ride we achieved relatively high speeds, tell me where pedestrians achieve over 15 mph average for over 30 miles?
Some of you keep banging on about how cycling is similar to walking or drinking beer I think you are wrong.
And by the way it's not "willy waving" most of the riders I know and ride with ride this way.
Yes I could have an accident at any point in any of my rides which is why I choose to mostly wear a helmet, as one day it may prevent a head injury. Walking down the street or drinking beer however possible an accident may happen is for me extremely unlikely.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I don't know anyone personally who has helmet views such as yourselves and I belong to a bike club and know a fair few riders, not one would hold your views regarding helmets
Nor me(Lost to cancer). But at the speeds given by myself and the person to who I was replying, what difference would wearing a helmet make?
Injuries sustained at that speed are going to affect more more than just the head.

Even motor cycle helmets are tested at an impact speed of 13.66 mph. http://www.bikersrights.com/statistics/notsafe.html
View attachment 106057
is that a fact, yet they are supposedly fit for purpose where cycle helmets are not because of the speed they are tested at........

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I don't know anyone personally who has helmet views such as yourselves and I belong to a bike club and know a fair few riders, not one would hold your views regarding helmets
It's such a shame isn't it :sad:
The pros wear them so the club riders wear them, the club riders wear them so the commuters wear them, the commuters wear them so the Sunday riders wear them. It's just becomes part of the uniform.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It's such a shame isn't it :sad:
The pros wear them so the club riders wear them, the club riders wear them so the commuters wear them, the commuters wear them so the Sunday riders wear them. It's just becomes part of the uniform.
Why is it a shame? They MAY help us when we have an accident.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
justin - can I ask you a direct question?

Specifically - what do you think of the Australian or Ontario expereience ? ie where helmet wearing has gone up overnight from 10% (or whatever) to 90%+ but without seeing a corresponding safety impact. This is what changed my view.

Are you aware of the result, disbelieve it, think your cycling is somehow different?

I can understand your club chums all helmet believers as , "it's obvious innit and we're doing 30mph" - which used to be my view and unless and until you look at (say) the Australian numbers that's a perfectly rational stance.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Why is it a shame? They MAY help us when we have an accident.
"When"? So it's a given now?
It's a shame because not one single individual that I have spoken to in real life about the wearing of helmets (and unfortunately there's been a few and it's never been me that brought the topic up) had any idea about the different testing standards or potential limitations of cycle helmet design or...well..,anything what so ever at all really, not one of them had gone further than "it's a helmet therefore it's good" and I'll bet it's the same with many of your club mates.

Did you have a chance to have a look at the link TMN took the time to post up for you, I went back and checked the post number for you in case you'd missed it, it's post #434

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom