The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just a minor contribution to the debate, cycling on a disused railrack in co Durham,, approx speed 18mph a low tree branch poking through the foliage near split my helmet open. I'm pleased I wore my cycling helmet that day
And you replaced it after that impact?

Branches are why I wear hats but I hitfewer of tthem than I did wearing a helmet.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just a minor contribution to the debate, cycling on a disused railrack in co Durham,, approx speed 18mph a low tree branch poking through the foliage near split my helmet open. I'm pleased I wore my cycling helmet that day
Did you consider ducking? Or did you assume it'd be just foliage with no branch holding it at head height??

Last edited:
Riding a recumbent would have prevented that injury?

Here is an equally likely outcome, without the helmet you might have missed the branch altogether or, you could equally have snagged the helmet on the branch and suffered whiplash or worse. Why is it that helmet wearers always seek justification. Non helmeteers don't go around telling everyone how they just missed a tree branch with their head. I really don't get it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
We understand, he wasn't travelling at 30 mph...
No he was travelling at far less than 30 but still had an impact with a branch for whatever reason, and in his view his helmet helped avoid injury. Perhaps if it had been yourself you could have told us how much it hurt.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Do you not understand this at all? The helmet is supposed to work by compression of the polystyrene foam absorbing energy. Where the helmet cracks, or splits in two, it is unlikely to have compressed very much at all. It won't have absorbed much energy and not done that which it was designed to do. Hence failed.
Yes I understand it perfectly. It saved his head from an injury.

No he was travelling at far less than 30 but still had an impact with a branch for whatever reason, and in his view his helmet helped avoid injury. Perhaps if it had been yourself you could have told us how much it hurt.

I ride a recumbent... it would have been four feet below the branch, and therefore it would not have hurt at all

One of the points you have continually missed / denied.... preventing the injury is a far wiser and more sensible attitude than relying on a plastic hat to ameliorate the injury

Yes I understand it perfectly. It saved his head from an injury.
Simples ... As in this case,....riding a recumbent would have saved my head from the injury

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I ride a recumbent... it would have been four feet below the branch, and therefore it would not have hurt at all

One of the points you have continually missed / denied.... preventing the injury is a far wiser and more sensible attitude than relying on a plastic hat to ameliorate the injury

Simples ... As in this case,....riding a recumbent would have saved my head from the injury
I haven't missed the point about prevention, but crystal balls don't really exist do they?

I haven't missed the point about prevention, but crystal balls don't really exist do they?

Yes they do......

Lets use one now.....

Cyclist A is riding at 15 mph on an open road
Cyclist B is riding at 30mph plus, and far too close to the cyclist in front so that when that ride has a problem they are unable to stop or avoid a collision

Using the crystal ball, lets see if we can predict which one is going to be having the accident?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes they do......

Lets use one now.....

Cyclist A is riding at 15 mph on an open road
Cyclist B is riding at 30mph plus, and far too close to the cyclist in front so that when that ride has a problem they are unable to stop or avoid a collision

Using the crystal ball, lets see if we can predict which one is going to be having the accident?
When I recently competed in a team time trial I was riding like that for 24 miles!

Top Bottom