Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Although not yet diagnosed, I've got the symptoms of Raynaud's Syndrome. My hands really suffered as I was caught out by how cold it was. Had bib longs on and thermal skull cap, but inadequate gloves.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Responsible parenting 2:

Coming home last night up the B2B Railway cycle path, I heard an farting engine sound up ahead. Initially thought it was 'yoof' on a pit bike but no...dutiful parent supervising his young son - look to be about 5 - riding a petrol mini-quad bike. Clearly, the parent didn't understand that buying your kids toys like that requires private land for them. And in years to come, is that kid going to think that petrol vehicles on cycle paths are OK?. A few years ago, I actually came across two idiots on a full size quad bike on the path, luckily it had broken down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nippy but very pleasant this morning. Passed a chap on a road bike who duly latched on. A few munites later he said something, I replied 'you OK' then he mentioned he was trying to get fit and was basically blowing out his ass to keep up. I said 'that's fine' and continued to point out man holes. He soon said 'see you' as he dropped off.

PS I was blowingvout my ass too :laugh: especially on a heavy MTB.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Although not yet diagnosed, I've got the symptoms of Raynaud's Syndrome. My hands really suffered as I was caught out by how cold it was. Had bib longs on and thermal skull cap, but inadequate gloves.

its fun innit ;)
sunday i was out and i had full winter gloves on compared to everyone else in much thinner gloves, full overshoes too but my feet got cold and didnt come back till i got home .I did keep my windproof jacket on most of the ride which helped to as i was a bit toasty and i had ls jersey plus armwarmers and a ls base layer to keep the arms warm .
Last night was around 7 c so i chanced it with 2 pairs of gloves, a thin windproof and a fleecy liner glove but my hands suffered.
I was on tablets but had to stop as the side effects of profuse facial sweating and light headed feeling were just as bad as the complaint .

Mazz

its fun innit ;)
sunday i was out and i had full winter gloves on compared to everyone else in much thinner gloves, full overshoes too but my feet got cold and didnt come back till i got home .I did keep my windproof jacket on most of the ride which helped to as i was a bit toasty and i had ls jersey plus armwarmers and a ls base layer to keep the arms warm .
Last night was around 7 c so i chanced it with 2 pairs of gloves, a thin windproof and a fleecy liner glove but my hands suffered.
I was on tablets but had to stop as the side effects of profuse facial sweating and light headed feeling were just as bad as the complaint .

I feel your pain! There's been times when I've been close to tears in pain because of cold hands in winter, and that's despite wearing thermal gloves inside lobster claw sealskins. Seriously tempted to get some battery heated element gloves next.

Last edited:

fossyant

I don’t miss sitting in this lot outside work.

20231017_165549.jpg

20231017_165546.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm lost. What does that mean?

20231015_204643.jpg

As per the Training thread, I'm on a recovery week and as a result of going extra slow, I got more overtakes than usual some good and some bad :-/
I'm glad I stuck my neoprene gloves on they make my fingers stink a bit if I make any sort of effort but I didn't and they kept them from going numb.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ah cheers. I was googling "poggies" and I got some strange hits from that.

Is that your bike in the photo? Do the pogies work and what's your opinion of them?

i have the same ones and yes they are brilliant in winter , i use then for commuting and i only need a thinner pair of gloves .Club rides i dont use them but if it that cold i wouldnt go out for fun anyway .

fossyant

It must be really awkward with Raynauds and cycling in winter - I know how just general cold affects a few relatives. I seem to be the exact opposite, and use thin MTB full finger gloves for most of winter (unless below zero).

Nice commute this morning, helped by a tail wind making it a quick ride in. Home will be a bit different. Big light switched on for first 15 minutes down some unlit tracks.

rivers

How far can I go?
Ah cheers. I was googling "poggies" and I got some strange hits from that.

Is that your bike in the photo? Do the pogies work and what's your opinion of them?

Yeah that's my bike. I've been using bar mitts (aka pogies) for about 5 years for the winter now. They're great for keeping hands warm and dry. Mine are just a pair of rockbros 5mm neoprene, but there are other brands that come lined as well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It must be really awkward with Raynauds and cycling in winter - I know how just general cold affects a few relatives. I seem to be the exact opposite, and use thin MTB full finger gloves for most of winter (unless below zero).

Nice commute this morning, helped by a tail wind making it a quick ride in. Home will be a bit different. Big light switched on for first 15 minutes down some unlit tracks.

I'm the same with gloves. I gte warm hands/fingers very quickly when cycling, so only use long finger gloves in very cold weather.

Also the same for my cycle commute this morning. Bit of a tail wind with bonus half term 2 weeks down here. Making for nice, clear & rapid ride in. This afternoon's commute however is looking very grim with storm Babette coming in.

Top Bottom