Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back to work after three days of being a taxi driver paying to taxi family around, three days of hitting the same shops on a daily basis driving me round the twist. Nice to get back out there, dark and moody this morning just what was required to put you back in the mood for work. No idiots, buffoons or village idiots to report this morning so all was right with the world even the bus drivers behaved this morning. I am sure that will all change going home.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Up on time for the first commute in nearly two weeks; out the door late due the need to wash my barnet with the (still) broken and dribbly power shower.

Now the weather is clearly turning attire becomes more problematic; no easy answers since I lost the legs off my zip-off trousers so gambled on the 200wt long sleeved base layer and 3/4 lengths.

The car portion was grimey thanks to dickheads, roadworks and general traffic. The bike bit was nicer by comparision, but spoiled by the Brompton's slipping seatpost and anxity-provoking frame hinge. As beneficial as this bike has been, I'm becoming ever more resentful of its growing list of avoidable shortcomings / Brompton's unwillingness to do owt about them... and for the first time this morning it felt less like a reliable ally and more like a liability :sad:

The tow path was a mixed bag - fewer brambles than I recall from last week's two non-work-related passes; suggesting someone else has been continuing the good work. No time for trimming anyway, while I passed over the usual pullup / dead-hang stop for the same reason.

I passed a few inconsiderate knobheads but it was all low-level stuff; making good time despite the headwind I think thanks to the simmering undercurrent of irritation and fact that I did fewer miles than usual on the bikes last week.

Into town for some particularly fine sausages then out along the tow path - arriving at work just about on time.. sweaty then but now at a reasonable temperature.. refreshing my memory as to the lovely dichotomy of commuting in anything other than ideal conditions..

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
WFH today and only day working this week. But the car needed to go to the garage so the Brompton was called to action for a lunch time drop-off and evening collection.

£295 for a window to be fixed 🙈 could have bought another Brompton on Facebook for that yesterday.

Maylian

Guru
First commute for a few weeks today after being away for work and then a cold/flu knocked me out for 2 weeks.

A relatively well paced 20km along the cycle paths, saw a nice balloon off in the distance (enjoyed it as there's not likely to be many more this season). The paths were slightly damp, but not enough to be slippery and only 1 almost mouthful of midges on the route in. I did get bonked in the head by two rather large bugs or falling objects on the way which stung a bit. Overall a success, apart from the barely a hill making me feel like my chest was going to explode!

biking_fox

Guru
Tree neatly removed so much so I didn't even notice it's absence on the way home. Slight moment of panic as a bus loomed over my shoulder just as I approached a busy bus stop. Fortunately it was Not In Service and carried on past me rather than across my nose.

wafter

Had a rare 9 O'clock appointment this morning, so predictably for the first time on record my terrible sleep caught up with me and I overslept. By nearly an hour :sad:

No shower, straight out the door now about half an hour late and at least devoid of the panic and anxiety that usually accompany the consequences of my poor timekeeping.

In the car I gambled by taking a detour through Langford Lock to avoid a repeat of the tailback I'd experienced yesterday thanks to half the dual carriageway being shut off at Begbroke. As is usually the case my initiative proved to be self-defeating since I encountered more unexpected roadworks, and when I joined the dual carriageway it seemed to be flowing OK - so that escapade probably lost me a few minutes.

Once on the Brompton I hit it hard from the off; aided to an extent by a relative lack of others on the tow path. Those I did encounter were typically receptive to / accommodating of my distant bell, and were afforded appropriate gratitde as a passed.

An exception was a woman on the phone with a dog - after being passed by a cyclist infront of me she turned, looked straight at me, walked onto my side of the path and turned her back on me.. leaving her dog on the other side. I thought she'd clocked me and would stay there as I threaded my way between the two, however as I passed she started drifting back across the path; requiring a bit of evasive action that saw my arm just brush a bit of projecting fabric on the shoulder of her dress..

Couldn't face a lack of breakfast so nipped into the butchers; a nice quick transaction saw me emerge on to the high St a mere 10-12 minutes late, hanging a left to take the faster Cowley Rd route. Smashed it down the high st, I got caught at the lights and blew my fellow commuters into the weeds when they changed. Over Magdalen bridge then threaded my way through the traffic backed up across the Plain roundabout (the one that keeps claiming cyclists :sad: )

Smashed it up the Cowley rd, picking my way through the ponderous commercial vehicles trying to park and the cars stuck behind them. Finally managed a 90% of max HR, out-of-the-saddle effort on the only meaningful hill before arriving at work at 9:00 on the dot.

Once in I hurriedly got everything together and called the client only a few minutes late, to be told that they'd not yet been provided the necessary hardware to proceed :rolleyes:

Despite the alleged 7mph head-ish wind (which tbh I didn't really notice for the most part) this was my fastest commute at 15.2mph (previous max was 14.5mph, long term mean is 12.3mph) at a mean HR of 76% of max. It's the first time I've done the bike portion in under 30 minutes too. I hit this one so hard that I had to extend the Y-axes on the graphs in my commute log spreadsheet :tongue:

All in all a pretty decent experience; handled fairly stoically, put some work in and managed the situation pretty well for once. I've not had a ride this intense for a while and distance has been lacking over the past week or so, so a welcome bit of exertion. It'll be interesting to see if I remain as positive at the end of the working day..

Last edited:

Sixmile

Guru
Back to school yesterday for my youngest. Eldest not in til tomorrow so took the opportunity to cycle the youngest (P7) out of school yesterday and in to school this morning. It was a bright dry mild morning with most years back to school but sadly not one other bike on a morning which was a joy to ride in.

There has been an extra island added on my outbound road which when I approached I was overtaken by a MGIF SUV. Hopefully the island makes things safer for someone.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Had a scary, deliberate, fast & close punishment pass this morning from driver of an old VW Passat (with no VED since Sept 2023) who had needed to wait a little longer than he liked to overtake me. It made me shout & swear, which I don't often do.

I've uploaded front & rear footage to A&S Police, but I really hope the car is properly registered & the driver is traceable given it is not taxed and had its last MOT in Oct 2023.

Otherwise, a lovely day for a sunny ride to work along country lanes... this bugger spoilt it somewhat though.

wafter

Had a scary, deliberate, fast & close punishment pass this morning from driver of an old VW Passat (with no VED since Sept 2023) who had needed to wait a little longer than he liked to overtake me. It made me shout & swear, which I don't often do.

I've uploaded front & rear footage to A&S Police, but I really hope the car is properly registered & the driver is traceable given it is not taxed and had its last MOT in Oct 2023.

Otherwise, a lovely day for a sunny ride to work along country lanes... this bugger spoilt it somewhat though.

Good work for researching and reporting the scumbag - hopefully they get screwed for both their inexcusible aggression and lack of tax..

Almost that time of the year again for me when I'll need lights and its single digits overnight. For my ride to the Station it was bright blue sky but and although the street lights weren't on the automatic car lights were on. If it had been a cloudy day the front light would have definitely needed to be switched on (the rear light is always switched on for the radar). Given it was clear overnight the temperature for the commute just after dawn was 9deg.
20240830_065413.jpg

20240830_065425.jpg

Whilst it took a while, I think, it had warmed up to 22deg C for the commute home. I couldn't quite see the purpose of this jacket with removable sleeves when I lived in Scotland or Ireland but I've made good use of it down south.

20240830_173942.jpg

20240830_173933.jpg

20240830_175644.jpg

dark this morning when I left, felt nice to be back on the bike after work imposed break from the bike. No traffic and lights switched on first time this year, winter not far off and clocks going back only a month away. I hate the end of summer see how far I can commute into winter without giving up and using the soft option the car to go into work.

Top Bottom