Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another nice morning in and the usual run ins with London Bus Drivers, going across round about pillock decides to speed up and use the horn despite the fact I had already entered the round about, following street it was a case of create your own bus stop in the middle of the road making lovely early pinch point. Going forward in future will be on full pillock alert time to invest in something to record these cock wombles for my safety

biking_fox

Guru
Not as wet as it could have been - made it home last night with only a few spots here and there before the overnight deluge which had slackened to light drizzle for this morning's ride. Some big puddles around. Roads still surprisingly light given that it's still school term I think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Damp-ish this morning. Ended up reporting the dodgy e-bike today (see earlier thread) as we've an issue on campus. Most bike stands are out of order as there is major building work going on outside our building, so there is a choice of some lockers or the bike parking in the multi storey. Bike lockers aren't useable as 80% have someone's old d-lock on the locker door (including cobwebs). Some staff have been bringing their bikes in the building, so a notice has gone up - no bikes other than folders, and no e-scooters etc. The issue came up in an Operations Group, so I dropped in the problem with the 40 mph dodgy import ebike.

Alex321

Guru
Damp-ish this morning. Ended up reporting the dodgy e-bike today (see earlier thread) as we've an issue on campus. Most bike stands are out of order as there is major building work going on outside our building, so there is a choice of some lockers or the bike parking in the multi storey. Bike lockers aren't useable as 80% have someone's old d-lock on the locker door (including cobwebs). Some staff have been bringing their bikes in the building, so a notice has gone up - no bikes other than folders, and no e-scooters etc. The issue came up in an Operations Group, so I dropped in the problem with the 40 mph dodgy import ebike.

They should issue a notice that reserving lockers is not permitted, and any locks left in place will be removed with angle grinders.

And then do it.

fossyant

They should issue a notice that reserving lockers is not permitted, and any locks left in place will be removed with angle grinders.

And then do it.

Quite. Been like that for a few years. The policy is you only lock it with your d-lock during use, then put the keyed-alike padlock back on when you leave.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

And then do it.

indeed, every so often we get similar notices at work telling you to remove your locks from inside the bike shed over a weekend and any left are removed, a notice is also given at start of shift meeting so no excuse .Its not like the locks are stopping you using the bike shed but if loads of people leave locks in can be harder to use yours .

Alex321

Guru
indeed, every so often we get similar notices at work telling you to remove your locks from inside the bike shed over a weekend and any left are removed, a notice is also given at start of shift meeting so no excuse .Its not like the locks are stopping you using the bike shed but if loads of people leave locks in can be harder to use yours .

I do leave my lock on one of the bike stands at the office, but it doesn't stop anyb ody using that stand - if I arrive and somebody else is, then I just move the lock to whichever stand I use. There are a few others left locked to the stands, but nowhere near enough to cause any issues.

fossyant

We have a large collection of un-used d-locks on the stands where I work. 10 years worth.

The good part of the commutes was the train for a change and the bike storage getting used how it should.
20240716_065734.jpg

20240716_070844.jpg

20240716_180133.jpg

20240716_182117.jpg

The bad bit was actually the cycle for a change. The morning wasn't too bad despite being a bit damp for my ride to the station (it was dry the other end) and tonight was quite good weather and things had dried up. Which was a good job when I got to the village of Arlesey. I got the closest left hook by some biatch turning into a housing estate than I've had in 20 years of commuting. I was also glad that the headwind meant I was doing 18.2mph when I'd normally be doing 21/22mph. I wouldn't have controlled that speed even riding primary. Riding back from the station I feel I've tweaked something in my calf 👎 That's the last time I ever ride without my Varia 😐

Alex321

Guru
Lovely commute in thiss morning. Clear and dry almost dead calm, temperature 13-15º, and traffic in the city less than usual as school holidays have started.

Oddly, traffic on the rural roads before I reached the city seemed to be busier than usual, but not enough to be a problem..

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Commuting home up the B2B railway path last night, encountered local ninja-mask wearing yoof on an emotorbike. It even had a rear licence plate holder, definitely an emotorbike judging from the speed. Now I've noted a certain shop in Bristol selling these things as ebikes. I understand that legally ebike motors must cut off at 15.5mph?. So some shops/websites may be breaking trade laws by misleading buyers into thinking that they're buying a bike but is actually a motorbike and needs all that petrol motrobikes do ie. test/licence/MOT/insurance/licence plate/helmet & not ridden like an idiot on cyclepaths.

Lovely commute in thiss morning. Clear and dry almost dead calm, temperature 13-15º, and traffic in the city less than usual as school holidays have started.

Oddly, traffic on the rural roads before I reached the city seemed to be busier than usual, but not enough to be a problem..

I quite like the busyness of Hertfordshire rural roads. There a bit busier than they ought to be, but that translates to people being scared to overtake a cyclist.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A nice mosey home last night post-restrained-pub visit; highlights including stopping to help a young chap who was struggling to re-assemble the front end of his bike after successfully changing a tube; he was basically there but struggling with getting the wheel on / V-brakes back together.

I also indulged in some more foliage management on the tow path; eliciting a "thanks" from another cyclist; but balancing this positivity by nearly subjecting another rider to a bramble to the face as he passed at speed while I was immersed in the topiary.. I shouted "sorry", he seemed fine as he disappeared into the distance so no harm done.

The brambles have proven to be the gift that keeps on giving as I invariable get stuck once or twice and I've found the thorns have a lovely habit of snapping off and leaving tiny, itching pieces trapped beneath the skin; to be teased out later with one of a number of sharp objects..

This morning's ride in was pleasant; leaving nice and early so I had plenty of time. The route was initially sunny, misty and gloriously bramble-free thanks to previous efforts, although I did nip off a few smaller ones at the entrance to the park when I popped in for a bit of decompression on the bars.

Stopped for somewhat uncharacteristically disappointing sausages then onto the tow path again; reaching Iffley lock in sufficient time to push the ride out to Kennington. I passed another guy fixing a puncture but it seemed he had it all in hand, so I left him to it.

Interestingly the proper authorities have hammered most of the undergrowth on the cycle path out the back of Kennington; taking it mercillessly back to the fence on one side and about 2ft beyond the boundary of the track on the other. They've done a great job and it now feels nice and expansive. Oddly one stretch remains untouched; if it's still that way next week I'll maybe have a go at it myself.. obviously don't want to waste my time otherwise.

At Sandford I had to wait for some muppet in front with a likely-illegal electric pseudo-scooter (and full-face crash helmet) to gingerly drag its dead weight across the bridge.. Once on the road he then proceeded to accelerate very slowly in front of me, causing me to overtake, before then overtaking me again at suspicious speeds. Out of bloody-mindedness I made an effort to keep ahead of him, but he eventually had me as I approached work.

A lovely morning and good to get in a bit more distance and speed than usual as both appear to have been lacking recently; probably for reasons posted elsewhere on here this morning. Looking forward to the ride home if the weather holds; although unlikely that there will be pub content - and if there is it'll feel very odd ordering a soft drink :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom