Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A stark contrast to yesterday; grey skies drizzle and a noticeable headwind greeted my knackered, allergic corpse this morning.

Traffic in the car was crap, the ride providing welcome respite from this grinding monotony while the drizzle was fairly refreshing. I expected more brambles due to the rain but it seems I might have finally got on top of them; for the time being at least.

Was a bit late but managed sausages and tow paths all the way; as usual sharing with largely decent folks. Would have been on time had I not had to wait for the lock at Iffley to close but there are worse ways to be delayed..

Wet probably summed up most of my commute today. I was pretty heavy from the off for my 4miles to the station this morning. When I got off the train 40mins later it was dry overhead but the roads were flooded for my 11.8mile commute straight into a head wind for 99% of the time (according to mywindsock.com). Just before I arrived it started to spit and got steadily heavier through the day. I decided to take advantage of the this morning's headwind (now a tailwind) and to my surprise is was quite dry for about 5.5miles; it then turned heavy for the next 4 or 5 miles before turning lighter again through the twisty village where the station is. When I got off though it was biblical and roads were flooded big time.

I think it was my fastest PM commute. That seemed to put off the driver behind me on long straight road off overtaking for quite a bit. Lol, when they did eventually overtake WVM decided to slow down and give me abuse, eejit 🙄

One annoying thing this morning's really wet ride to the station seems to have killed my HRM. I flipped the old battery to reset things and put a new battery in but its still dead! Hopefully it dries out :-/

tinywheels

Über Member
sun forecast for this pm.
I'm ever hopeful, lot more people on the train nowadays unfortunately.

20240710_063603.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think I've been very lucky this week; biblical rains were forecast but the most I've had to endure has been a bit of drizzle, which was actually pretty welcome.

I played the space cadet on the way in today thanks to allergies and general exhaustion, although it wasn't as bad as yesterday.

With no particular incentive to get home after work I took the long way back with more bramble butchery; it's starting to feel like I've got the upper hand on the pointy little bstards. Had some slightly awkward interactions with a Japanese family whom I'd pass on the bike, only for them to meander past me as I'd stopped ahead of them to trim. One commented on the apparent kindness of my snipping, which was nice :smile:

On to the rings; again failing to fully complete my sets but it still felt rewarding and benefical.

IMG_20240708_182541.jpg

Pushing further north a blockade was encountered on the tow path; plenty of room but it seemed that dad just had to be a dick - resulting in several of us lugging bikes through the trees to avoid realising the palpable threat of violence that lingered in the air..

IMG_20240710_190134.jpg

Finally I stopped at the Plough for a G&T; sadly this week with no hot dog-walker content.. It was still very pleasant however to sit outside in the afterglow of having thrashed most bits of myself, listening to some Leonard Cohen and watching the world go by.

Beverage consumed I meandered the rest of the way back with a bit more trimming, feeling really bloody good for a change :smile:

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It pays to ride slowly past a primary school.

A mum, who had just parked up on single white lines, directed her small child to cross the road right in front of me.

Thankfully I was going slowly enough to brake to a halt to allow the lad to cross safely.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Top tip

When selecting clean undercrackers to take to the office, try not to pick up the pair of swimming trunks instead.

pick up mini ck 1 pants as they are pretty much the same design and colour so have to be careful when sorting out the washing .I have even taken mini ck 2 sport t shirt to work as it the same as my work shirts apart from the school badge .

Top Bottom