Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After another soggy ride home, it was actually dry (from above) this morning. The bike is filthy, and it's only done 3 rides since it was last washed on Tuesday evening after the commute. Mud levels are peak at the moment.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right then. Cold out there, temperature has dropped quite a bit.. but the heavy rain missed us this morning leaving us with a bit of a drizzle. Not enough to soak clothes but wet enough.
Rainy commute #43 for the year
Same period last year 34 rainy commutes

On another note Unrestricted e-bikes. I'm going to swing for one of these guys one day then stamp on the ebike gubbins to teach them a lesson.
2 of the twats today. #1. Decided to enter a roundabout at speed whilst I was on it, he clearly saw me but decided to play chicken which meant I had to slam on the anchors. He got a face* full of swear words.
#2 Another idiot who decided to overtake me at speed away from a set of lights and then cut in sharply. He then decided to undercut me further down the road and do the same thing. He also got a few swear words and the finger in his face*.

*I say face but it seems to be that these idiots all seem to wear balaclavas covering their faces.
Rant over.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Odd encounter with speeding escooter today. Coming down into Easton, just passing the top of Colston Road which has a sloped entrance ramp to the path. Heard the sound 'vvvrrrrrmmmmm' coming from behind, like that one fat knobbly MTB tyres make. Looked over my shoulder but it was yoof on one of those big escooters with fat tyres & suspension, probably does about 30-40mph at full speed. He went up the ramp as I passed it, I assumed he was leaving the cycle path...but no, he sped down the other side in an attempt to overtake me at speed. It didn't work :okay: . He had a friend behind on similar, they did eventually overtake me. What worries me about this is that they both did some speed, casually weaving in & out of cyclists/pedestrians and at this point, the path narrows here and there are a lot of schoolkids/peds about at 8.30am. I always slow down through here but these clown were going quite fast. anyway, my path in red, his in yellow. He obviously was too impatient to slow down.

colston road.jpg

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Odd encounter with speeding escooter today. Coming down into Easton, just passing the top of Colston Road which has a sloped entrance ramp to the path. Heard the sound 'vvvrrrrrmmmmm' coming from behind, like that one fat knobbly MTB tyres make. Looked over my shoulder but it was yoof on one of those big escooters with fat tyres & suspension, probably does about 30-40mph at full speed. He went up the ramp as I passed it, I assumed he was leaving the cycle path...but no, he sped down the other side in an attempt to overtake me at speed. It didn't work :okay: . He had a friend behind on similar, they did eventually overtake me. What worries me about this is that they both did some speed, casually weaving in & out of cyclists/pedestrians and at this point, the path narrows here and there are a lot of schoolkids/peds about at 8.30am. I always slow down through here but these clown were going quite fast. anyway, ,y path in red, his inn yellow. He obviously was too impatient to slow down.

View attachment 713618

I know that ramp well, I use it to get to Stapleton Road station 🚉...
Its astonishing how fast some of the E scooters go especially as their riders don't seem to wear a helmet or bright clothing or use any lights !!!

captain nemo1701

Right then. Cold out there, temperature has dropped quite a bit.. but the heavy rain missed us this morning leaving us with a bit of a drizzle. Not enough to soak clothes but wet enough.
Rainy commute #43 for the year
Same period last year 34 rainy commutes

On another note Unrestricted e-bikes. I'm going to swing for one of these guys one day then stamp on the ebike gubbins to teach them a lesson.
2 of the twats today. #1. Decided to enter a roundabout at speed whilst I was on it, he clearly saw me but decided to play chicken which meant I had to slam on the anchors. He got a face* full of swear words.
#2 Another idiot who decided to overtake me at speed away from a set of lights and then cut in sharply. He then decided to undercut me further down the road and do the same thing. He also got a few swear words and the finger in his face*.

*I say face but it seems to be that these idiots all seem to wear balaclavas covering their faces.
Rant over.

Well, we've got emotorbike ninja masked yoof here in Brizzle:

emotorbikes

Favourite thing to do is pull wheelies for hundreds of yards. Saw one the other weekend doing it 5 yards behind a car.
They use the B2B Railway Path for racing and touch probably 40 mph or more:cursing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, we've got emotorbike ninja masked yoof here in Brizzle:

emotorbikes

Favourite thing to do is pull wheelies for hundreds of yards. Saw one the other weekend doing it 5 yards behind a car.
They use the B2B Railway Path for racing and touch probably 40 mph or more:cursing:

Funny thing was , these were not ninjas. The first one had a hi-viz vest. The second was dressed head to toe in hi-viz PPE.

Finally a dry commute both ways.

Years ago bought one of those cree lights from china for £15. Lost the charger so bought a replacement and to my surprise it charged up. Used it today, battery pack in pannier and cable twisted around top tube. They are way more powerful than the more expensive moon meteor and a Lezyne 800 I also have. Could go a bit faster since I could see the path ahead in complete brightness. Just had to cover it with my hand when someone approached from the opposite direction.

Today was a good day.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oh goody, more rain.

captain nemo1701

Funny thing was , these were not ninjas. The first one had a hi-viz vest. The second was dressed head to toe in hi-viz PPE.

I've seen them out dressed all in black on black emotorbikes. Dressing in hi viz is a bit of a laugh since they don't seem overtly concerned about other's safety when out for a thrill ride. Taking the 'P' methinks.

biking_fox

Guru
Used up my luck for the day/week. Finally managed a ground free commute! 6 miles - 3 off-road 3 on main road, about a dozen lights. Nearly all green (careful timing adjusting speed on the approach to help), one decent trackstand at the only long red. Something I've thought possible over summer but never managed, just got very lucky today in the heavier winter traffic - about 3 mins faster than my usual ride!

The drizzle and suicidal squirrel, hordes of school-children were all minor inconveniences in comparison.

Top Bottom