Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Today out earlier than usual to start a long test (whole thing takes 9 hours min. and I want to leave at four). On the road at 05:45- woke up before the cat. First dark commute of the autumn. Got to work one minute before the doors unlock (at six thirty my pass will get me in, no earlier). Pretty quiet. Still very mild out there.

Nine twenty and I'm thinking- is it nearly lunchtime?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Today out earlier than usual to start a long test (whole thing takes 9 hours min. and I want to leave at four). On the road at 05:45- woke up before the cat. First dark commute of the autumn. Got to work one minute before the doors unlock (at six thirty my pass will get me in, no earlier). Pretty quiet. Still very mild out there.

Nine twenty and I'm thinking- is it nearly lunchtime?

About time for elevenses at the very least!

Happy Friday. Hope the test goes well.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Happy Friday. Hope the test goes well.

Was a lab test: testing an industrial product on a simulated 8 hour shift at high temperature and humidity. Got it running at seven, took it off at three, half an hour to do some measurements and clean up- nearly got out at 15:30 but the director caught me to chat about something. 15:45- not bad. Very pleasant ride home.

Seemed a very dark this morning but fortunately it was light when I got off the train for the main part of my commute. To get away from the road I decided it was dry enough to cut along a bridleway I'd took once from the other end. Despite a 23mm front and rim brakes the bike with non flared bars felt great, I think I need at some point to get rid of the flared bars on my gravel bike. Turned out though I'd took the wrong entry to it and ended up on another bridleway then footpath to the bridleway I actually wanted.

This evening was pretty non eventual except I was in the mood to smash it and take my mind off other things, if you ignore my slow cycle on paths out of town to play it safe and avoid traffic given my mood, it was probably my fastest commute for a while despite it being a constant headwind.

1696624472541.png
Although I have done it over 2 mph faster when I've had a tail wind :laugh:

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That's early then.

We over slept by about 15 minutes earlier in the week. One of the cats stood on MrsF as we were 'late'.
Our youngest cat often wakes my wife with a gentle nip to the chin or cheek.
Both cats usually ignore me, but yesterday one walked up my legs and torso; two paws came to rest on my neck and a little cat nose was pressed firmly into one of my (closed) eyes. FEED ME!!!!

It's a bit much at 5am.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
When this weather down south/east finally becomes Autumn it's going to be a bit of a shock - shorts & short sleeved top heading out to work at 7am in early October!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When this weather down south/east finally becomes Autumn it's going to be a bit of a shock - shorts & short sleeved top heading out to work at 7am in early October!

Think it might break later in the week. Softshell at the ready - better find some full finger gloves too.

Lovely ride this morning, very little wind. Traffic locally (near home) was horrendous, and I was delayed all of a minute pulling out onto the road out of the estate as everyone was using it as a rat run. Loads of cyclists on the Fallowfield Loop this morning.

More importantly, lots of work going on on the 'Floop' to improve access. Two barriers have gone on the main path (Princess Road to Fallowfield section, and up near Reddish). Access barrier gone where I get on/off the loop at Whaley Range/Athol Road, and looks like improvements going on up at the Northern end too (markings on path).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yesterday evening was nice. Decided I wanted to see a river (any river!) so took the lanes through to Bricket Wood and followed the riverside path a little way along the river Ver. Then I saw a fine mushroom growing out of a stump on the other bank so backtracked and took the road to see it (probably a silky rosegill*). Got in just after six, just a hint of the approaching sunset. Probably won't be taking any longer routes after the end of August.

This morning I felt tired- and hungry. My porridge didn't seem to be enough. Got into work early enough to go to Tesco for a croissant.

*I know fark all about them- I just like to see them. I take a photograph and see what Google lens says, then I check other sources to see if that's reasonable.

Dadam

Über Member
Traffic was backed up 3/4 mile from the Ring Road this morning, like it used to be in the pre-Covid jams. Hey people, WFH if you can! :blink:

A couple of pillocks in Audis. One passing very close very slow then pacing me at the side as the traffic was the same speed. Mate, no point getting past, I'll probably be at work before you get to the next roundabout! 🤣

Traffic locally (near home) was horrendous, and I was delayed all of a minute pulling out onto the road out of the estate as everyone was using it as a rat run.

Not just near me then! I wonder why today, it's not as if it's the first day back after a holiday.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another lovely morning for the commute so I extended it to a bit over 14 miles only to discover that I'd left my building pass & keys at home - the shorts I was using don't have the big back pockets that my normal Hummvees do, so I'd put the pass & keys in the side pocket of my backpack where they got forgotten about,
A quick 7 mile direct return trip home to get them made sure I was knackered for the start of the day.

A bit of a training session commute for me this morning. During my last interval a car driver was so desperate to turn right out of a minor road in front of me (I was on the main road) that she almost crashed into another car and nearly took out a cyclist going the opposite way to me. Guess what she held me up repeatedly! With the workout I ended up going out of town to finish it safely, so the commute ended up being 15miles instead of 11-12miles, it was a nice morning for it though :okay:

This evening was pretty steady, however I should have made it more relaxed, as I was 20mins early for the train and it was cancelled which saw me waiting over 45mins. I was expecting a totally packed northbound train but I'd forgotten that this one didn't stop at Hitchin and Arlesley; so whilst it was standing room only there was room to stand with the bike.

Top Bottom