Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
The advantage of riding a tank - it's not affected by wind (the bike and panniers are HEAVY).

It was grim this morning, wet windy, but at least I wasn't stuck in traffic. Car or bike, what ever the weather, I'll take the bike.

Cars and traffic suck the life out of you.

My commute is such that when I do take the car, I rarely get stuck in traffic, particularly on the way in. The link road sometimes gets a bit clogged on the way home, but even that is rarely very bad.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Off sod ! :whistle:

Well you only have yourself to blame living in the grimy norf innit bruv :okay:

Dadam

Über Member
I had to drop the car off at the dealers for a recall today, so popped the Intercity Disc 9 folder in the boot for the 2.5 mile onward commute. The dealer is right next to a Greggs so obviously had to pop in for the sausage and bacon butty with coffee, rude not to! Luckily I managed to avoid the heavy rain and just had a very light drizzle, the sort of level where you just maintain a slight dampness as the wind dries off the rain as fast as it falls on you. I'd slept in too, which turned out ok as the queue for the big traffic light junction near the dealer was only 5 minutes instead of the 15 that Google maps was threatening.

Other thoughts: (a) the ID9 is a hoot to ride, (b) I need mudguards as the seatpost was clarted with wet road grit which made it hard to drop it down on folding the bike.

tinywheels

Über Member
I am now half man half fish!
it would have been quicker to swim home.
I swear I'm developing gills, no seriously.

Alex321

Guru
Decided to drive today. Excessively windy, combined with heavy rain.

I could have coped with the rain, but not when combined with strong and gusty wind.

Annoyingly, the weather eased a LOT during the day. As it would have been mainly tailwind on the way in, I could have managed I think.

But I did then get out for quite an enjoyable 20 mile ride after dinner, which also gave me a chance to properly test out my new front light. Way better than the old Halfords one, even though supposedly the same 1600 Lumens. And being able to "dip" it with a single button press is great.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well it was wetter then an Otters pocket for yesterdays commute home. And I mean drenched. Drowned rat, sopping, dripping, wetter then wet. The wind!!! blimey, that was blustery. Luckily it was mostly side winds rather then head. But still made for a slow ride
So
Rainy cycle commute # 32 for the year
Last year comparable 22 rainy commute

This morning is a totally different matter. Nice and dry with bright skies and no wind.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well it was wetter then an Otters pocket for yesterdays commute home. And I mean drenched. Drowned rat, sopping, dripping, wetter then wet. The wind!!! blimey, that was blustery. Luckily it was mostly side winds rather then head. But still made for a slow ride
So
Rainy cycle commute # 32 for the year
Last year comparable 22 rainy commute

This morning is a totally different matter. Nice and dry with bright skies and no wind.

It's just weather up 'ere. Stop ye whinging ! I see it hit the national news last night. Yeh, we've had it for two days, no mention ! :whistle:

Cool and sunny up North !

On the way to work:

2023_09_20_Commute_01.jpg

On the way back:
2023_09_20_Commute_02.jpg

River is high and will probably get higher by tomorrow as it was raining in the hills.

Top Bottom