Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
Fabled indeed. I manage approximately 30 sets of lights, RAB's and crossings on my commute. It aint gonna happen for me. Though sometimes I do have a good go when all the planets are aligned and I get the greens.

I think I'm about a dozen lights on my normal route. (helps that half of it is off road).

Alex321

Guru
Not such a good ride home tonight :sad:

Went via Tredz to pick up new Chainring and chain, and then decided to use the Ely trail from there to get out of Cardiff, rather than going round the roads. Unfortunately managed to find a big pothole hidden by a puddle, causing a fairly high speed (about 18-19mph) involuntary dismount.

My left shoulder and my phone took the brunt of it. Bruised the shoulder, smashed the phone, not just screen cracked, it won't even turn on. Doesn't appear to be any damage to the bike.

I was still able to ride the rest of the way home, at a decent speed, but since getting home doing much with the left arm is decidedly uncomfortable.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Such a nice afternoon here in South East Londonshire that I decided to extend the commute across the M25 into the Kent countryside.
A nice 51 mile round commute for the day.
Screenshot_20230804_224446_Connect.jpg

Alex321

Guru
Not such a good ride home tonight :sad:

Went via Tredz to pick up new Chainring and chain, and then decided to use the Ely trail from there to get out of Cardiff, rather than going round the roads. Unfortunately managed to find a big pothole hidden by a puddle, causing a fairly high speed (about 18-19mph) involuntary dismount.

My left shoulder and my phone took the brunt of it. Bruised the shoulder, smashed the phone, not just screen cracked, it won't even turn on. Doesn't appear to be any damage to the bike.

I was still able to ride the rest of the way home, at a decent speed, but since getting home doing much with the left arm is decidedly uncomfortable.

Just a quick update on this.

Shoulder/arm is still painful but definitely improving.

I was able to fit that chainring and chain (and cassette I already had), and go out for a short ride yesterday. Bike seems all OK, arm isn't really affecting riding except when I want to indicate left. I expect to do my usual commutes on Wednesday & Friday this week ( I normally WFH Mon, Tue, Thu).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
WFH Lunch commute - not done one for a bit, but weather was dry, so took out the Ribble 653. Oof, I'd not oiled the chain properly, so that needed sorting before I used it (not moved in 6 months).

Decent ride, but got the 'delights' of the new 'cycle lane' on Jackson's Lane in Hazel Grove, as Chester Road over the A555 was closed for resurfacing (I suspect because the Tour of Britain is coming down it and it's in poor condition for a peloton). Used the road, then hopped on to the opposite side to use the cycle lane round the junction due to traffic.

Bloody hell, it's horrible on a road bike at even 12-15 mph - it would be ace fun on a jump bike - up down up down for all the driveways. Then turned onto the A555 cycle lane to get back to Woodford. My word it's boring ! Fortunately, that was the last of the cycle lanes.

Only issue was whooshing through Woodford, an elderly lady in her huge Merc SUV just pulled out in front of me. I went round her, and as I levelled with the driver's window shouted 'please look where you are going, you just pulled out in front of me'. She was completely unaware, but I just carried on and passed the car without trying - she'd pulled out on me when doing about 22 mph, and hardly accelerated !

Morale of the story, never ever try and use the cycle lane near Jackson's Lane, or the one on the main road, bloody terrible (and they are fairly new).

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
WFH Lunch commute - not done one for a bit, but weather was dry, so took out the Ribble 653. Oof, I'd not oiled the chain properly, so that needed sorting before I used it (not moved in 6 months).

Decent ride, but got the 'delights' of the new 'cycle lane' on Jackson's Lane in Hazel Grove, as Chester Road over the A555 was closed for resurfacing (I suspect because the Tour of Britain is coming down it and it's in poor condition for a peloton). Used the road, then hopped on to the opposite side to use the cycle lane round the junction due to traffic.

Bloody hell, it's horrible on a road bike at even 12-15 mph - it would be ace fun on a jump bike - up down up down for all the driveways. Then turned onto the A555 cycle lane to get back to Woodford. My word it's boring ! Fortunately, that was the last of the cycle lanes.

Only issue was whooshing through Woodford, an elderly lady in her huge Merc SUV just pulled out in front of me. I went round her, and as I levelled with the driver's window shouted 'please look where you are going, you just pulled out in front of me'. She was completely unaware, but I just carried on and passed the car without trying - she'd pulled out on me when doing about 22 mph, and hardly accelerated !

Morale of the story, never ever try and use the cycle lane near Jackson's Lane, or the one on the main road, bloody terrible (and they are fairly new).

The Dean / Jackson's Lane cycle lane is woeful.

I don't hate the 555 one, it serves a purpose and generally nothing too much wrong with it, just a couple of silly chicanes.

fossyant

The Dean / Jackson's Lane cycle lane is woeful.

I don't hate the 555 one, it serves a purpose and generally nothing too much wrong with it, just a couple of silly chicanes.

The Jacksons Lane would be fun on a MTB, loads of 'jumps'. I've seen a few videos of someone riding them on a road bike - looked horrendous, but it really was bad taking a "full on" race bike on them - I shall avoid. The 555 does serve a purpose, but I'd rather take the old Chester Road, much more interesting, and was part of my 'old' commute to Knutsford once.

Nice commute this morning, not much wind, warm, a little sunshine, tyres pumped up !

fossyant

Yes I've noticed the blackberries on the way to and from work, will be stopping off to have a few 😋

Lots of blackberries ready to pick on the Fallowfield Loop at the moment. Saw lots of people picking them on my way home on Thursday, and folk just nibbling them as they walked. I'm not keen, as there are usually lots of little bugs in them when you wash them (I know protein and all that)- they make a good jam though !

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Term time school run traffic is nothing compared to the queue of daytrippers leaving Felixstowe due to the onset of rain just before my home time commute.

The day started off cold, grey and overcast with rain added to the mix for the afternoon. Glad I didn't take the mudguards off as I was tempted to do this morning.

Top Bottom