England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sorry I wasn't available to join you today, nor on hand to guide Simon in. Post ride catch up with Ian suggests an excellent time was had by all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely ride today. No one at Bromley Dripping Tap (Which is not a pub rather then a plumbers merchants), so I headed off on my own to Camberwell where I knew Delzeqq would be waiting. And he was there. It turned out that Del had decided to go to Bromley first to meet me, but couldn't find the Dripping Tap Pub. He found the Plumbers Merchant's in the end but was 10 minutes early so headed back to Camberwell, with me hot on his heels. We met up at Camberwell Green and hot peddaled it to HPC via Vauxhall and a little detour that Del showed me to take in the delightful Cricket Ground in Vincent Square, another little hidden gem in London's vast metropolis. We reached HPC to find RedJedi and Adrian waiting. Followed by the arrival of Topcat1, HaloJ, Martok and Aperitif.
A pleasant lap around Hyde Park, onto Bent Mikey's workplace (He wasn't there) then on through Kensington, Fulham, Putney (Cheerio to Dellzeqq) and onto Richmond Park. Not a huge amount of cyclists about today, but still a few dream machines and serious racers (Bonj would have been proud), coming over the top of the hill at a fair old speed, myself and Halo near run into a herd of Deer as they where mooching by the road side... Halo's face was a picture... We somehow lost Martok in the park.. but he tracked us down at the cafe whilst coffee & conversation was had.
Homeward bound we split, Aperitif & Redjedi to where ever they were heading. Topcat, Halo & Martok following their Garmins back North East, Myself and Adrian back South East with a very pleasant headwind all the way to Croydon.

Hitting Bromley I popped in to Chez Arallsopp to meet Darcy (very sweet).. and nab a cuppa tea.

56 Miles for the day thanks to all for a very pleasant ride as per usual.

2zyvjug.jpg

Technology comes to The Sunday Rides - couple this with Google Latitude and 'Robert's Your Mother's Brother!' No- one can get lost - it's impossible. Impossible that is unless you mix it with the Mouseketeers - our magnetic personalities throw spanners in the best laid works!
Meanwhile, back to the work of verdigris and Brooks and...

2yxrio6.jpg

...Adrian sizes up the situation and determines the best attitude for his rescue flag.

2nvqekw.jpg

High-tech nylon fixings with a serrated tongue were employed...

r76ell.jpg

...to give a splendid unfurled emblem.

On my way back via the Hayes By Pass, I counted 11 similar flags - they must snap off the car mount, along with what I thought was half a flag - but it was an 'L' Plate! :rofl:

A weird but nice morning ride.I now know pre and post match watering holes + pubs with good er um helpers behind the bar! Ta Ian. :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi,

Bit of a silly question about the Sunday ride, does it always head into London? I'd like to join it one weekend but as I cycle into London every day during the week, my weekends tend to take me out through Bromley and into a bit of country (well if Cudham counts as country :hello:

Also out of interest does anyone know what's happened to the Spitfire and Hurricane that used to be outside Biggin Hill RAF Chapel?

M

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Martin,
it does usually head into London. Originating in Bromley we scoot along the A21 to Deptford, then New Cross, Camberwell, Vauxhall, Victoria and Hyde Park Corner where we meet non Bromley-ites. From there it's usually a lap of Hyde Park, followed by a route to somewhere for coffee. This Sunday was Richmond Park, last Sunday was Docklands. So you are more then welcome to join us either in Bromley (8.30am) or at Hyde Park Corner,

ps I'm just over the road from Farnborough so Cudham, Downe etc are normal run outs for me too.

martint235 said:
Hi,

Bit of a silly question about the Sunday ride, does it always head into London? I'd like to join it one weekend but as I cycle into London every day during the week, my weekends tend to take me out through Bromley and into a bit of country (well if Cudham counts as country :hello:

Also out of interest does anyone know what's happened to the Spitfire and Hurricane that used to be outside Biggin Hill RAF Chapel?

M

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
martint235 said:
Hi,

M
check out the West Kent CTC, Lewisham Cyclists (frequently guided by Mr. Ianrauk of this very parish), Bigfoot and the Cheam and Morden CTC.........

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
there usually is Martin.
I will put up a notice in the post in a couple of days see who is about.

Where you thinking of meeting us Martin?

martint235

Dog on a bike
For my first one, I'd meet you at the Dripping Tap (now I know it's not a pub, gods been past it every weekend for who knows how long!!). After that I may meet you along the way somewhere as I think we'll be tracing my route to the DT for a while.

M

martint235 said:
Hi,

Bit of a silly question about the Sunday ride, does it always head into London? I'd like to join it one weekend but as I cycle into London every day during the week, my weekends tend to take me out through Bromley and into a bit of country (well if Cudham counts as country :sad:

M

...and you speak very little, are focussed on work, no time to look around....stop here and there, deviate from your tried and trusted route etc...sounds perfect if you do it every day Martin - London is an ordinary place made special by our presence! :thumbsup:
As for your other plane question - I took a snap, albeit long distance, on Saturday. It must be them!
34gx4sx.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
Aperitif said:
...and you speak very little, are focussed on work, no time to look around....stop here and there, deviate from your tried and trusted route etc...
As for your other plane question - I took a snap, albeit long distance, on Saturday. It must be them!
Ok ok so it'll be different on a weekend!! :sad:

And nope that's not them! The ones I mean had been attached to display pillars for years :thumbsup:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I'm having problems loading the pics, i've loaded most of them

http://tinypic.com/a/23vpi/3
this is the new sunday ride picture link, you can check this link each week for new pics

A nice group rode out to richmond park this week, the police were post coding bikes at the cafe and it was quite busy there.

I was still on my friday legs so didn't fancy any hills and rode home along the river.

Top Bottom