England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sunday 7th April Mice Star Date Log 97 A Pootley Sunday London Ride. 19.97 miles in 1hr 49 mins. 10.9mph average speed with 22.3 max on the Marin.

What is it about these rides? Is it that they really are a pootle? No particular mileage to be covered? No real destination until someone at the start comes up with an idea? Cycling at conversational pace towards a nearby location for coffees and a chat? And in fine company? :hyper:

Today was no exception. Except one thing.Arallsopp arrived on his "Is it a Bird? Is it a Bike?" "No. It's a Velomobile." This is really a recumbent trike in a carbon fibre shell. It looks like something out of The Wacky Races. (If you are under 28 years old you may have to google that! The Hannah Barbar version). It goes like a rocket with very little effort and supersonically so once its owner gets going. Unbelievable. :dance:

It also causes a bit of a stare. :eek: Members of the public come up and ask to take photos and questions. It's more of a Velo Celebe than a Velomobeel! Once autographs had been metaphorically signed (by the VM not by the owner) we decided to head towards Borough. Even on the move people stare. There was a particularly classic moment when a chap was about to take a photo of his girlfriend who had struck a pose in front of Buckingham Palace. As the Velomobeel went by the lens left the girlfriend and followed the wheels instead! :laugh:

Down Birdcage Walk, Parliament Square and onto the Embankment. Cycling in London on a sunny Sunday is a joy. Total joy. Along to Blackfriars Bridge and onto Borough. Down to a cafe in Burgess Park, Camberwell. It was a reality check against Look Mum No Hands which quite frankly has fallen into the outrageous pricing category. :cry:

Coffees and catchups with a few more Velomobeel moments and we were off to Peckham. Clarion was leading the way, apparently he wasn't sure of the route but neither Arallsopp nor I had a clue nor did we care. We were on our bikes. We found our way to another cafe, this one on Peckham Common. Excellent food and drinks. The VM and Andy headed for home whilst Clarion and I sat in the sunshine putting the world to rights (metaphorically speaking at least!) :sun:

We headed North and went our separate ways. Over 100 miles cycled in a weekend. That will do for me! I love riding my bike!

I took some pics!

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPqUupGXm7vqRQ&feat=directlink

Mice :hello:

Attachments

• VM at the Arch.jpg
    VM at the Arch.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 41
  • VM on the Move with TJ.jpg
    VM on the Move with TJ.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Burgess Park.jpg
    Burgess Park.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 30

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sunday 7th April Mice Star Date Log 97 A Pootley Sunday London Ride. 19.97 miles in 1hr 49 mins. 10.9mph average speed with 22.3 max on the Marin.

What is it about these rides? Is it that they really are a pootle? No particular mileage to be covered? No real destination until someone at the start comes up with an idea? Cycling at conversational pace towards a nearby location for coffees and a chat? And in fine company? :hyper:

Today was no exception. Except one thing.Arallsopp arrived on his "Is it a Bird? Is it a Bike?" "No. It's a Velomobile." This is really a recumbent trike in a carbon fibre shell. It looks like something out of The Wacky Races. (If you are under 28 years old you may have to google that! The Hannah Barbar version). It goes like a rocket with very little effort and supersonically so once its owner gets going. Unbelievable. :dance:

It also causes a bit of a stare. :eek: Members of the public come up and ask to take photos and questions. It's more of a Velo Celebe than a Velomobeel! Once autographs had been metaphorically signed (by the VM not by the owner) we decided to head towards Borough. Even on the move people stare. There was a particularly classic moment when a chap was about to take a photo of his girlfriend who had struck a pose in front of Buckingham Palace. As the Velomobeel went by the lens left the girlfriend and followed the wheels instead! :laugh:

Down Birdcage Walk, Parliament Square and onto the Embankment. Cycling in London on a sunny Sunday is a joy. Total joy. Along to Blackfriars Bridge and onto Borough. Down to a cafe in Burgess Park, Camberwell. It was a reality check against Look Mum No Hands which quite frankly has fallen into the outrageous pricing category. :cry:

Coffees and catchups with a few more Velomobeel moments and we were off to Peckham. Clarion was leading the way, apparently he wasn't sure of the route but neither Arallsopp nor I had a clue nor did we care. We were on our bikes. We found our way to another cafe, this one on Peckham Common. Excellent food and drinks. The VM and Andy headed for home whilst Clarion and I sat in the sunshine putting the world to rights (metaphorically speaking at least!) :sun:

We headed North and went our separate ways. Over 100 miles cycled in a weekend. That will do for me! I love riding my bike!

I took some pics!

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPqUupGXm7vqRQ&feat=directlink

Mice :hello:
Sarnies looked good.....
As did the riders. And the Belgian missile. :smile:

U

User10571

I need to get out - but I'm keen to escape The Great Wen.
Spending too many weekday miles crossing it.....

Kies

Never done a SLR so yes count me in. Can we do the Greenwich cable car crossing please. It's been on my to-do list for ages :smile:

lilolee

Guru
Just off Shoppenhangers, near Desborough Park.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't claim to know the quickest route to the cable car from HPC but it's not a race and I can get to it if no one else knows the way. Though I might slope off at Greenwich unless I'm feeling livelier than I have recently. If any one fancies a pint of Hospital Porter at the Old Brewery (Naval College) we can cycle over my avatar....

lilolee

Guru
I don't claim to know the quickest route to the cable car from HPC but it's not a race and I can get to it if no one else knows the way. Though I might slope off at Greenwich unless I'm feeling livelier than I have recently. If any one fancies a pint of Hospital Porter at the Old Brewery (Naval College) we can cycle over my avatar....

Sounds good. I could make a trip into London to do this. I'll check train times.

Don't they shut it when it's windy? It is going to be very windy on Sunday.

The 8:36 from Maidenhead gets me in at 9:21, so should get to HPC by 9:30 ish

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sounds good. I could make a trip into London to do this. I'll check train times.

Don't they shut it when it's windy? It is going to be very windy on Sunday.

The 8:36 from Maidenhead gets me in at 9:21, so should get to HPC by 9:30 ish
The BBC forecast for London is lower than 16mph so not enough to worry about - of course the forecast may change but I'd say it's unlikely. I've been on it in stronger winds and it's still surprisingly smooth.

Top Bottom