England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

.......and then a ride on the ferry and then we all turned into statues- Mice has the pics

great to see you today Becs and Eddie
Sorry I couldn't hook up with you peeps - had a busy couple of days - assembling bikes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry I couldn't hook up with you peeps - had a busy couple of days - assembling bikes.

Your absence was noted User10571.....:whistle:;)

A text from Becs on Saturday night asked if I was going to do this ride. I hadn't decided but that spurred me on - yes, I replied and agreed - subject to ice.
At 7am the alarm went off and I stuck my nose above the duvet. Brrrr, :cold: it was cold. The BBC weather website said it was -1. Minus 1! :cold: Well that's the end of the ride thought I. 20 minutes later a text arrived from Becs "Am up and about, heading for station, see you at 9.30". :eek: Gordon Bennett, this was going to happen after all!

Minus 1 was still ringing in my ears - that means there could be ice. So this would be a hybrid ride and no cleats - trainers were deployed. I layered up and headed to Hyde Park Corner at 9.25 where I found three others - looking very cool of course but also rather cold! The original plan to go to Alexandra Palace was revised to The Olympic Stadium instead (which is a flat route) Wooop! Woooop! :wahhey:

We waited for the Household Cavalry to go by. It always takes my breath away and I take too many pics! We cycled down Constitution Hill behind them, along the Mall and into Trafalgar Square, down to the Embankment and along to Blackfriars Bridge with Ian leading the way.

Onto Commercial Road, into Whitechapel and all the way to the Stadium - the security guards were very helpful and even operated a human level crossing for us - opening gates as we arrived and closing them behind us. Since my last visit a year ago, a conservatory has been added. Nice and warm - I look forward to being back there soon. The Manager chatted with us about cycling and he confirmed that the bicycle racks that were missing would be returning soon! :bravo:

We reached the Woolwich Ferry terminal just as the ferry was unloading - perfect timing! Once across the river and along to Woolwich Arsenal to do play hide and seek (somewhat unsuccessfully) amongst some statues! :laugh:

Along a busy road to Greenwich, straight out the other side and back over the river using Southwark Bridge. We arrived at The Aldwych - Ian had already left us, Dave headed South, Eddy West and Becs and I weaved our way to Portland Place and said our goodbyes. I headed to Victoria for a very important purchase of bread - I was starving! It may have been cold (understatement!) but it was a great day with fab peeps.

I took some pics https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCJXzpKzphIPJigE&feat=directlink.

Mice :hello:

Attachments

• HPC.jpg
    HPC.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Becs.jpg
    Becs.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Ferry.jpg
    Ferry.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Camouflage.jpg
    Camouflage.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Brightening up the Statues.jpg
    Brightening up the Statues.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Great Sunday London Ride.jpg
    Great Sunday London Ride.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 60
Well that was super-cold - 6 layers and counting! After 7 hours at work hugging a heater I decided to ride home too - unfortunately it was 15 miles too far, had to bail out at Enfield Chase before I fell asleep on the bike! Still, a shade under 50 miles for my second day on the bike this year isn't too shabby! Bit of a stiff neck this morning though.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I maybe to depending on how bike viewing goes tomorrow :hyper:

U

User10571

Part of me is urging me to materialise.
But I need to be in Coulsden for ~ 14:00 so I might have to bow out of the lunch bit.....
In fact, it might be a very short curtain call....... soz.

U

User10571

If you don't see me there @ 10:00, continue on your way....
I will do my damndest to be there.....

Top Bottom