Plantar Fasciitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Does having a really deep massage of all your lower leg muscles help at all? If you’ve not tried, worth a go. Warning, if done right, it will hurt like absolute hell if your muscles are even slightly tight!!!!
No, I got a regular massage on my legs for a while as I was doing lots of different exercise and my legs did get tight but it went the other way pulling on my hip leading to back issues.

I have often thought of going back purely for calf's and feet but I just never got round to it and as you say a good massage squeezes you to the bone and I'm not sure if I could deal with my feet getting treated like that.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Something smaller and harder is better ime! Golf or hard squash ball

1719946791462440455918879397634.jpg

This is my set.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Those are pretty big spikys. I had some hard plastic laundry balls

They are, but I use the cylinder first to soften it then go in as hard as I can stand before doing the stretches. Doesn't really help mind but I want to go to my appointment confident I've done what I've been told.

Cirrus

Veteran
Have had it for 6 months or so, came on during marathon training. Managed to work through it, some Profoot inserts helped as did Oofos recovery sandals/flip flops ( I love the Oofos, they’re not pretty but so comfortable). Pretty much don’t walk barefoot, and it’s more or less gone now.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Im dreading the next step, a possible steroid injection. In my experience they F me up more than surgery.

I got it for a frozen shoulder and it was no drama until later that night when I couldn't sleep a wink. It did work a treat though, so I would happily have another.

A private physio tried some dry needling into my heel. She honestly had to scrape me off the ceiling as it was agony and worked instantly but only for an hour or so.

Maybe I'm naive, but if I was offered that tonight, I would take it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Does having a really deep massage of all your lower leg muscles help at all? If you’ve not tried, worth a go. Warning, if done right, it will hurt like absolute hell if your muscles are even slightly tight!!!!

I remember my first deep tissue massage. The fella said,

"This will hurt more than you can imagine right now."

And he wasn't wrong.

Worth it though!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I remember my first deep tissue massage. The fella said,

"This will hurt more than you can imagine right now."

And he wasn't wrong.

Worth it though!

I was visiting Dublin quite a few years ago and having a pint with a well connected runner who had helped me out when I did my end to end run. I was telling him about by persistent glute pain, ( when it was playing up I had to sit with a bunched fist under my right glute to ease the pain )
He disappeared from the hotel bar and reappeared several minutes later and beckoned me to the phone in the lobby of the Hotel and handed me the handset ( pre mobile corded payphone ). The guy on the other end was the physio for the Irish Olympic squad. He asked several questions and then described a treatment that I was to pass on to the physio I was using back home. His parting words were " and if you're not crying he's not doing it correctly " 😁

AndyRM

XOXO
I was visiting Dublin quite a few years ago and having a pint with a well connected runner who had helped me out when I did my end to end run. I was telling him about by persistent glute pain, ( when it was playing up I had to sit with a bunched fist under my right glute to ease the pain )
He disappeared from the hotel bar and reappeared several minutes later and beckoned me to the phone in the lobby of the Hotel and handed me the handset ( pre mobile corded payphone ). The guy on the other end was the physio for the Irish Olympic squad. He asked several questions and then described a treatment that I was to pass on to the physio I was using back home. His parting words were " and if you're not crying he's not doing it correctly " 😁

Yep, sounds about right.

Just remembered

A while ago I started to get pains in my feet again - normally only happens when I have old trainers and the heel has collapsed and dropped

but these trainers were only a few months old
I swapped to some different and more solid shoes - which didn;t help

I started trying to walk differently
Now - I should say that I have always walked ratehr "heel heavy" - as in I tend to put my foot down heavily heel first and don;t transfer the weight to the ball of my foot as much as others might
so I started to try to walk differently - using the ball of my foot far more and earlier in my step
and putting less weight onto my heel

It seems to have worked as the pains went and I am still wearing the same trainers over a year later

It is possible that a lot of my problems have been caused by my walking wrongly - I know that I walk with my feet out more than usual but until then I hadn;t realised that I also walked with more pressure and impact on my heel

which could be why my old trainers always collapsed at the heels!

only saying in case it helps someone else
but it could be just me

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've got a knackered hip and because I'm walking all wonky with my foot that is now acting up as well.

That was the warning I got if I don't start walking correctly.

Last thing I need is more pain.

Top Bottom