Plantar Fasciitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Silly question OP, have you had your feet x-rayed scanned to check it's not something else like arthritis exacerbating?

No.

I must admit, I have wondered that myself a couple of times as I don't always have the classic symptoms.

My first NHS appointment was just last week and when I asked her exactly what it was, she just said I had elements of PF.

I have a further appointment with podiatry after I self referred but its for a day I won't be here so I'll need to rearrange that, but I'm sure they will check that out properly.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've spent a fortune on Skechers and Under Armour trainers, deliberately bought half a size larger on Docs advice. Does seem to help.

The physio I went to reckoned Skechers have done an amazing marketing job but the reality is, they are worse than useless.

When I told her they are the only footwear type I use now, she reckoned I should stop immediately and get strong soled shoes.

Thing is, my feet probably spent 40 years in strong soled boots, which I think is where my problem comes from.

Drago

Legendary Member
The physio I went to reckoned Skechers have done an amazing marketing job but the reality is, they are worse than useless.

When I told her they are the only footwear type I use now, she reckoned I should stop immediately and get strong soled shoes.

Thing is, my feet probably spent 40 years in strong soled boots, which I think is where my problem comes from.

That's interesting, because the proper foot doctor (who chooses thatas a speciality?) I saw told me the exact opposite about Skechers, and that I should avoid strong soled shoes!

Certainly I can walk after a fashion in the Skechers, and not at all in the strong soled shoes I'd typically wear pre injury - I can only speak as I find.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm trying to find some running style myself, but I've got wide feet and a high instep so I'm struggling at the mo. Why do shoes vary so much, I take a 10.1/2 if I can find them or 11. I tried an 11 on in Clarks at the weekend and my toe was about an inch from the end of the shoe. I prefer Clarks if I can afford them, even their standard fittings are wider plus if I can get an 10.1/2 H I'm in heaven. :sad:

I have a size 9.1/2- ish standard width left foot. I have an extra wide, very high arched right foot about size 8. This is probably the result of breaking my right leg twice in two years as very young child, my top of my right foot looks a bit like a loosely clenched fist.
I have to buy a 9 1/2 to get the length for my " normal " foot, and extra wide to compensate for my high arched foot which is about 7.1/2.
The body is marvelously adaptable, especially when younger, so I've managed to keep running for well over 40 years to date. As mentioned up thread, New Balance make a wide fitting shoe, and I ran in them for many years. Of course as running shoes became more of a fashion item the manufacturers felt the need to constantly change them, cosmetic changes year on year were fine, changing the shoe geometry meant that a shoe that " worked " for me no longer did so.
For quite a while now I have been running in " Hoka ", the " Plush " version of their line up. I usually buy last years model often direct from Hoka as there are some excellent prices, and free delivery returns. I would go half a size bigger in Hoka's, and some say they look a bit like " clown shoes ", but they may well be suited to your feet too.
With regard to Clarkes, I used to wear them all the time, then they shifted production abroad and the quality plummeted. I remember going in to the Clarks shop in town and realising something was off about the shoes I was trying on. They had shifted production to Romania, the quality wasn't there and they still wanted to charge a premium price. When I have to wair a " proper " shoe I find Hotters suit my weird feet.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Switching shoes made marginal difference to me as I still wear lots of the older ones. The main factors for me were NEVER going barefoot and losing weight.

That's another thing that's not working for me then, as I've lost almost 10kg this year. :sad:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
That's interesting, because the proper foot doctor (who chooses thatas a speciality?) I saw told me the exact opposite about Skechers, and that I should avoid strong soled shoes!

Certainly I can walk after a fashion in the Skechers, and not at all in the strong soled shoes I'd typically wear pre injury - I can only speak as I find.

That is interesting then.

I'm the same, I walk on my toes in anything other than Skechers. Slippers, everyday footwear and even golf shoes all Skechers and I feel I can put my heels down first with them, but she wasn't convinced.

Your right though, speak as you find as it obviously boils down to opinions and for me they help and I won't be giving them up anytime soon.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I have a size 9.1/2- ish standard width left foot. I have an extra wide, very high arched right foot about size 8. This is probably the result of breaking my right leg twice in two years as very young child, my top of my right foot looks a bit like a loosely clenched fist.
I have to buy a 9 1/2 to get the length for my " normal " foot, and extra wide to compensate for my high arched foot which is about 7.1/2.
The body is marvelously adaptable, especially when younger, so I've managed to keep running for well over 40 years to date. As mentioned up thread, New Balance make a wide fitting shoe, and I ran in them for many years. Of course as running shoes became more of a fashion item the manufacturers felt the need to constantly change them, cosmetic changes year on year were fine, changing the shoe geometry meant that a shoe that " worked " for me no longer did so.
For quite a while now I have been running in " Hoka ", the " Plush " version of their line up. I usually buy last years model often direct from Hoka as there are some excellent prices, and free delivery returns. I would go half a size bigger in Hoka's, and some say they look a bit like " clown shoes ", but they may well be suited to your feet too.
With regard to Clarkes, I used to wear them all the time, then they shifted production abroad and the quality plummeted. I remember going in to the Clarks shop in town and realising something was off about the shoes I was trying on. They had shifted production to Romania, the quality wasn't there and they still wanted to charge a premium price. When I have to wair a " proper " shoe I find Hotters suit my weird feet.

Thanks for the tip, I reckon I'll get my appointment on Thursday out the way as well as the podiatry 9ne before investing in any new footwear.

Mrs Slick is just home with a new set of PF socks from boots, they are surprisingly soothing, I think its the compression.

I find one of the things that can make mine come back is the heel of my shoe collapsing inside
That drops my heel and puts pressure on the instep
which then causes pain and stuff

If I find the heel looking dodgy the shoes go right in the bin now

screenman

Legendary Member
Very few of us are prepared to take the rest that this plantar fasciitis requires to heal. If using a podiatrist make sure they are extremely well educated, not just done a two week course in nail curing and dead skin removal. I am not an expert but my wife who passed away recently was.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I'd love to be abke to rest, but with an autistic teenage daughter and a disabled wife who is herself mobility restricted there is simply no reasonable opportunity to do so.

I feel as if I have rested as much as anyone can but even that doesn't make a difference.

Other than walking on my hands the next 3 months, I genuinely don't know what else I could do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does having a really deep massage of all your lower leg muscles help at all? If you’ve not tried, worth a go. Warning, if done right, it will hurt like absolute hell if your muscles are even slightly tight!!!!

Top Bottom