Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Can be quite 'interesting' as the bump on what would be the 'elbow' chucks em offline and the little 'straight' at the exit of Gerards and into the 2nd part (used to be called 'Spectator Bank) can be tricky that would probably be where Paul Eaton 'lost it', Gerards looks like it's opening up but then tightens into the 2nd part, give it too much and suddenly you're on the grass on the outside.
Tricky little circuit, there's great footage of Mike Hailwood on the Sports Motorcycles Ducati at the 'Post TT' after he'd won on the IOM I'd post a linky but this chromebook won't play ball so just google Mike Hailwood at Mallory

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Can be quite 'interesting' as the bump on what would be the 'elbow' chucks em offline and the little 'straight' at the exit of Gerards and into the 2nd part (used to be called 'Spectator Bank) can be tricky that would probably be where Paul Eaton 'lost it', Gerards looks like it's opening up but then tightens into the 2nd part, give it too much and suddenly you're on the grass on the outside.
Tricky little circuit, there's great footage of Mike Hailwood on the Sports Motorcycles Ducati at the 'Post TT' after he'd won on the IOM I'd post a linky but this chromebook won't play ball so just google Mike Hailwood at Mallory

They still use the mile oval for the Pickup Trucks.

Incidentally, both the Pickups and the Eurocars are made just up the road from me.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Slightly OT, but the other day, I quipped about the rather fine crockery that Lando had won on the McLaren FB page, saying that all they now needed to do was to find a couple of eggs to fit them. Because yeah, they looked like nothing more than a pair of giant egg cups.

Cue a laugh response to my post.

... by Oscar Piastri

:biggrin:

gbb

Squire
At race meetings everybody laughed when the 'safety car' or bike spun or crashed. My girlfriend at the time once accused me of "Only going to see the crashes" but I told her that was wrong, what I liked was somebody having a big 'moment' but saving it.
I still think that the best thing I ever saw was 'Big Trev' (Trevor Nation) getting black flagged in practice for the Superbike race at Mallory Park for wheelieing the Norton rotary down 'Devils Elbow' (pre 'Bus Stop' chicane) he must have done it 5 or 6 times before they decided to have a word with him. :becool:

For those that don't know Mallory the 'Devils Elbow' is a downhill, off camber bend with no run off and steel Armco barriers round the outside. Quite a few riders have died after hitting the Armco. :sad:

If they're the rotary Nortons of the 90s perhaps, I've never been a motorcycle nut but boy, those things were like lightning, particularly on the straight and accelerating....but the competition would reel them back in on the bends, extraordinarily powerful engine....err not such a good frame or suspension I assume. I used to love the era of racing...

If they're the rotary Nortons of the 90s perhaps, I've never been a motorcycle nut but boy, those things were like lightning, particularly on the straight and accelerating....but the competition would reel them back in on the bends, extraordinarily powerful engine....err not such a good frame or suspension I assume. I used to love the era of racing...

No engine braking so had to rely heavily on their brakes.

icowden

Veteran
Is the season over? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think Red Bull would like it to be. It's interesting that Red Bull were strong until the Austrian GP at which point they definitively dropped from being able to win every race to always finishing 3rd/4th with Perez always only a couple of places behind Max.
  • Austria 5,7,
  • Hungary 5,7,
  • Belgium 4,7,
  • Dutch 2,6,
  • Monza 6,8
It's almost like something happened between the Spanish GP and Austrian GP that really compromised their car or Ferrari, McLaren and Merc all simultaneously found ways to make their cars much better. And oddly that drop off happened after the mid season break when that rule clarification was made...

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ridden by "Rocket" Ron Haslam and Trevor Nation, IIRC...

Plus Steve Spray, he rode number 20 whereas Trevor Nation was on 5. They were the black and gold JPS sponsered bikes. Also Steve Hislop rode one in the TT beating Carl Fogerty. Team mate for him was Robert Dunlop but his bike seized.
There's a new version the Brian Crighton CR700, £145,000 for a very limited number of em using the engine developed by Brian for light aircraft use developing 220 bhp in bike format

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think Red Bull would like it to be. It's interesting that Red Bull were strong until the Austrian GP at which point they definitively dropped from being able to win every race to always finishing 3rd/4th with Perez always only a couple of places behind Max.
  • Austria 5,7,
  • Hungary 5,7,
  • Belgium 4,7,
  • Dutch 2,6,
  • Monza 6,8
It's almost like something happened between the Spanish GP and Austrian GP that really compromised their car or Ferrari, McLaren and Merc all simultaneously found ways to make their cars much better. And oddly that drop off happened after the mid season break when that rule clarification was made...
Or maybe because of that clarification has allowed McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes to come good. Given that the rule clarification was about an old McLaren system.

On the Sky SPorts commentary yesterday they were saying that Newey left and now several other key people are leaving

and there was that row with Max's Dad
and the accusations against Horner

and suddenly they can;t find the front of the race with a map

sounds to me like some sort of key elements are missing -I would guess that the engineers are not being listened to and the management and not hearing and there is co functional team there anymore

and at the same time Toto is saying that he is open to talking to Max
although personally I think this is stirring - I think he has too much sense to try to manage a talent/character combination like Max when he potentially has a good team and good drivers already
But I have been wrong in the past

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Plus Steve Spray, he rode number 20 whereas Trevor Nation was on 5. They were the black and gold JPS sponsered bikes. Also Steve Hislop rode one in the TT beating Carl Fogerty. Team mate for him was Robert Dunlop but his bike seized.
There's a new version the Brian Crighton CR700, £145,000 for a very limited number of em using the engine developed by Brian for light aircraft use developing 220 bhp in bike format

Whoops, I forgot about Steve Spray...

• Austria 5,7,
  • Hungary 5,7,
  • Belgium 4,7,
  • Dutch 2,6,
  • Monza 6,8

If it was because the other teams made improvements it wouldn't explain why Perez was finishing closer to Max.

classic33

Leg End Member
If it was because the other teams made improvements it wouldn't explain why Perez was finishing closer to Max.
Possibly two of them though.
The steering via the brakes on one axle was a McLaren idea, used when they were partnered with Mercedes on the engine and gearbox.
Wouldn't both these two teams have knowledge of the system.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Possibly two of them though.
The steering via the brakes on one axle was a McLaren idea, used when they were partnered with Mercedes on the engine and gearbox.
Wouldn't both these two teams have knowledge of the system.

No team was using the system that was 'clarified' in the FIA's rule update. The McLaren 'fiddle brake' and similar systems were outlawed years ago.

Top Bottom