Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Have you given up on the commute?

Not so much given up as... paused. Considering the distance and variable terrain I don't much like doing it in the pitch dark when you can't really see it a road is iced over or not, plus I'm doing the Winter Turbo training on a Tuesday and Thursday, bun run at the weekend and gym inbetween times - I think that's enough! I don't particularly want to scunner myself to cycling, or have my head ripped from my shoulders on a dark cycle path....

Col5632

Guru
Not so much given up as... paused. Considering the distance and variable terrain I don't much like doing it in the pitch dark when you can't really see it a road is iced over or not, plus I'm doing the Winter Turbo training on a Tuesday and Thursday, bun run at the weekend and gym inbetween times - I think that's enough! I don't particularly want to scunner myself to cycling, or have my head ripped from my shoulders on a dark cycle path....

Fair enough, I don't think i could do your commute, not every day anyway :heat:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Well done all those still commuting :bravo:(as long as there is a safe-ish route :ph34r:)
and to @Fubar on his (re)gained speed. :thumbsup: How many pannier bags full of sugar is that? :training: Or you could translate it as couple of medium-weight bikes you are no longer carrying around with you :biggrin:...
Hmmm :scratch:... does that qualify you for n+2 in real bikes?

T (back from the sunny south again:wahhey:)

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Can anyone recommend any central Scotland bike shops that they know accept halfords cycle2work voucher that aren't halfords? Woman on the phone today at halfords was pretty useless.

Also , Boardman road race for sale, one careful lady owner.......

Well done all those still commuting :bravo:(as long as there is a safe-ish route :ph34r:)
and to @Fubar on his (re)gained speed. :thumbsup: How many pannier bags full of sugar is that? :training: Or you could translate it as couple of medium-weight bikes you are no longer carrying around with you :biggrin:...
Hmmm :scratch:... does that qualify you for n+2 in real bikes?

T (back from the sunny south again:wahhey:)

Thermometer outside the workshop was alleging -10 this afternoon!!!! :eek::cold::cold::cold::bicycle:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thermometer outside the workshop was alleging -10 this afternoon!!!! :eek::cold::cold::cold::bicycle:
Are you sure that thermometer was working properly? :whistle:
-4 C this morning was cold enough for me :cold:, double layers mostly worked well though. Only my toes were a bit cold by the time I got to work, despite the thick socks and going uphill most of the way. Today is my anniversary - six months of not taking the bus to work :wahhey:- but at the first sign of proper ice or snow I'll be raising the :surrender: until it's gone again... Now if there was a proper off-road route all the way, where I wouldn't have to worry about people's lack of driving skills ...

Looks like it'll be quite a bit warmer from Tuesday onwards, if the forecasts are right :thumbsup:

T

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are you sure that thermometer was working properly? :whistle:
-4 C this morning was cold enough for me :cold:, double layers mostly worked well though. Only my toes were a bit cold by the time I got to work, despite the thick socks and going uphill most of the way. Today is my anniversary - six months of not taking the bus to work :wahhey:- but at the first sign of proper ice or snow I'll be raising the :surrender: until it's gone again... Now if there was a proper off-road route all the way, where I wouldn't have to worry about people's lack of driving skills ...

Looks like it'll be quite a bit warmer from Tuesday onwards, if the forecasts are right :thumbsup:

T
Happy anniversary, T!
True, commuting when it's icy is hard: if you stay on the gritted road the cars are out to get you, if you take the off road way you might take a tumble. I'm ok with my ice tyres, but they have closed most of the quiet roads in my area due to Commonwealth Games building works :cursing:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hmmm ice tyres, now there is an idea ... I COULD get some for the other bike :scratch: (was initially thinking I'd have to get another pair of wheels to swap in/out :blush:, but HJ very sensibly pointed out this evening that I've already got spare wheels on the other bike :thumbsup:) ...
@Pat "5mph" (or anybody else in possession of ice tyres :thumbsup:), just how well DO they work? Black ice? Sheet ice? Snow? Slush?

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hmmm ice tyres, now there is an idea ... I COULD get some for the other bike :scratch: (was initially thinking I'd have to get another pair of wheels to swap in/out :blush:, but HJ very sensibly pointed out this evening that I've already got spare wheels on the other bike :thumbsup:) ...
@Pat "5mph" (or anybody else in possession of ice tyres :thumbsup:), just how well DO they work? Black ice? Sheet ice? Snow? Slush?

T
They work very well, here is my review from last winter.
Today, to avoid a busy junction, I had to ride an iced over shared path. No probs, back wheel slid a wee bit once over metal, was expecting this anyway.
Ping @fossyant the King of Winter riding for confirmation that they work :thumbsup:

Top Bottom