Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:highfive:Thanks @Pat "5mph" and @fossyant ... I'm sold (well impressive review on the other thread :thumbsup:)
Now off shopping :biggrin: ... and thinking about which bike to turn into my Oetzi bike :scratch:

T

Are you sure that thermometer was working properly? :whistle:
-4 C this morning was cold enough for me :cold:, double layers mostly worked well though. Only my toes were a bit cold by the time I got to work, despite the thick socks and going uphill most of the way. Today is my anniversary - six months of not taking the bus to work :wahhey:- but at the first sign of proper ice or snow I'll be raising the :surrender: until it's gone again... Now if there was a proper off-road route all the way, where I wouldn't have to worry about people's lack of driving skills ...

Looks like it'll be quite a bit warmer from Tuesday onwards, if the forecasts are right :thumbsup:

T
Probably not but jumped back up to +10 when taken indoors and ice on the pond is almost thick enough to walk on.........almost! :whistle:

edindave

Über Member
Can anyone recommend any central Scotland bike shops that they know accept halfords cycle2work voucher that aren't halfords?

Give Alpine Bikes (Stockbridge, Edinburgh) a call - 0131 225 3286.
Earlier in the year they said they would accept our work scheme's Halfords vouchers.

Also try Herbies in Broxburn, 01506 863959 - I think they accept them as well.

Booyaa

Veteran
oh, and did you really need A&E?

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Give Alpine Bikes (Stockbridge, Edinburgh) a call - 0131 225 3286.
Earlier in the year they said they would accept our work scheme's Halfords vouchers.

Also try Herbies in Broxburn, 01506 863959 - I think they accept them as well.
cheers Dave :smile:
oh, and did you really need A&E?
yes as it has a starbucks :smile: stopped for a hot choc and cake . Incyra to polmont was surpisingly ice free, road down towards falkirk was sketchy. managed a tumble street behind mine making it up to 45 miles, as someone has parked on the path to main road, and chucky stones took my bike from under me. :sad:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Update on ice tyres ...
@Pat "5mph" , your Ice Spikers only seem to be available in mountain bike wheel sizes ...:cry:(26in)

Following a chat with local ice tyre users, they seem to swear by the Schwalbe Marathon Winter spiked tyres (which come in all sorts of sizes), but said that they need to be ridden on tarmac for a few 10s of miles to bed the spikes in properly. One of them also said he used to scrape the rear wheel along the tarmac when turning his bike round, and noticed that this seemed to be loosening/pulling out the spikes (so stopped doing that, and no problems since) ...

Your website seems to be the best for price still, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
Will probably go on a wee shopping spree shortly :addict:

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Telemark you are right!
I've got the Marathon Winters too :smile: on an old mb, a 24 wheels, because I'm so small I can ride a teenager's bike :laugh:
Now, the Winters are great on ice, but if there is slush or snow on the roads they are not effective, so if you need to ride on fresh snow be very careful:B)
Last winter I was happily riding my wee mb fitted with Winters, until we got a snow fall, it was a hairy commute then, hence I got the ice spikers too ... they paid themselves with the taxi fares I saved during the festive season, getting to and from work at silly hours.
Now, you need to embed the studs, riding the tyres at max pressure for about 40km.
Still you might loose some - spare ones are available for free from the Schwalbe site or for a small sum from any Marathon web retailer.
The best way to refit lost studs is to dip them in washing up liquid, then use a thin nosed pair of pliers to push them back in, no need to deflate.
This excellent tip was given to me by @SatNavSaysStraightOn :thumbsup:
Whatever you do, don't do like @potsy who took the Winters off road on their first ride, lost all the studs :laugh:

Icy here tonight: I keep a bucket of water in my front garden, so I don't have to go out to check if the temperature is below zero :becool:
This morning at 8am the water was liquid, tonight when I got home at 10pm there was a solid ice crust! :cold:

Top Bottom