Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Telemark you are right!
I've got the Marathon Winters too :smile: on an old mb, a 24 wheels, because I'm so small I can ride a teenager's bike :laugh:
Now, the Winters are great on ice, but if there is slush or snow on the roads they are not effective, so if you need to ride on fresh snow be very careful:B)
[...] This morning at 8am the water was liquid, tonight when I got home at 10pm there was a solid ice crust! :cold:

Great advice, @Pat "5mph" (and @SatNavSaysStraightOn), thanks again! When you say "they are not effective", do you mean that the slide all over the place, or that snow gets stuck in the treads, or something else? During my research I have come across 'Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 studs' (700 x 35c) and 'Schwalbe Winter 120 studs' (same size) ... I wonder which ones you have?
:cold: looks like the current freeze is about to come to an end by Tuesday :thumbsup:.

Winter spikey tyre thingys.....pah!!
Man up @Telemark!! Nothing to worry about, if its a wee bit icy just don't lean the bike over or turn or brake or.......:rolleyes:
... just fall off if you need to slow down for any reason ;).

:scratch:That's not technically possible. :rofl: What I can attempt though, is to become a hard woman like @Pat "5mph", when I grow up... :hugs: and go out with the ice tyres in all weathers.

Or fall off right in front of lycra cladded Glasgow Green Racers at 8 am on a frosty Sunday morning :whistle:
Is that what happened? Was it a certain member of CC Ecosse you are referring to?

Col5632

Guru
Ice tyres are something I've considered getting cause I hate stopping going out on the bike just cause it's a wee bit icy, but after a fall on the ice last year I realise why I don't attempt it lol

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
When you say "they are not effective", do you mean that the slide all over the place, or that snow gets stuck in the treads, or something else? During my research I have come across 'Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 studs' (700 x 35c) and 'Schwalbe Winter 120 studs' (same size) ... I wonder which ones you have?
Went to consult the archives of cycling bits invoices :whistle: I have 184 spikes on my Winters ^_^ That may be because they are 24x1.75, wee wheels.
The bigger bike (the one I took to Perth) has a spare wheelset with 26x1.95 Ice Spikers - the knobby kind.
I meant the Winters slide allover the place if there is snow or slush, as reported here :ph34r:

Pat "5mph" said:
Or fall off right in front of lycra cladded Glasgow Green Racers at 8 am on a frosty Sunday morning :whistle:

Is that what happened? Was it a certain member of CC Ecosse you are referring to?
No, it was the Glasgow Green Racing Club, assembled at their Sunday morning meeting point in the Green.
The park is part of my commute, two winters ago I took a tumble right in front of them :shy:
That was before I discovered studded tyres ... and this is how I also discovered CC, searching for how to ride on ice.
Thanks Google :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
It's either getting warmer or I am getting used to the :cold: ... +1C when I left work, and probably a couple of degrees more back in town.
For a change, I was actually too warm :heat: on the way home from work :rolleyes: despite it being mostly downhill, and no wind to speak of ... If it had been any further, I'd have stopped and taken a layer off, but I was hungry and couldn't be bothered.
The ancient & very thin HellyHansen thermal top, long sleeved jersey & jacket, double layer of trousers and thick socks were perfect on Friday (-2C, I think) ... forecast predicts +10C for Wednesday afternoon :wacko:... tropical!

What sort of layering are you lot wearing at the moment?

T

It's either getting warmer or I am getting used to the :cold: ... +1C when I left work, and probably a couple of degrees more back in town.
For a change, I was actually too warm :heat: on the way home from work :rolleyes: despite it being mostly downhill, and no wind to speak of ... If it had been any further, I'd have stopped and taken a layer off, but I was hungry and couldn't be bothered.
The ancient & very thin HellyHansen thermal top, long sleeved jersey & jacket, double layer of trousers and thick socks were perfect on Friday (-2C, I think) ... forecast predicts +10C for Wednesday afternoon :wacko:... tropical!

What sort of layering are you lot wearing at the moment?

T
Sponge, buttercream, icing and chocolate sprinkles....and yes i am wearing....yum! :mrpig::biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am wearing Aldi's Merino cycling base layer, their winter waterproof jacket, a pair of cotton leggings under a pair of fleecy walking trousers. 2 pair of cotton socks or one pair ski socks under winter boots.
Beenie under helmet. Non descript full finger gloves, from the pound shop I think.
Was wearing a ski jacket instead of the waterproof at the weekend, got far too warm at the end of the commute.
I always get too warm on the bike after a couple of miles!
Tomorrow 6.30 am will wear normal trainers instead of the boots, the temperature seems to be raising, rain instead of ice in the evening me thinks: might loose the leggings riding home.

You are wearing a cup cake?? :wacko:
Oh no....stopped at Asda on way home and they had a 20 portion chocolate birthday cake for £1....:birthday:.:mrpig::mrpig::hungry::hungry::mrpig::mrpig:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:wacko: Had to stop on the way to work to strip off layers, as I was getting way too hot on the way up the hill :heat:... turns out it was nearly +7C in Edinburgh at 7am already! Apparently the UK temperature map is upside down today from its normal state, +10 in the north of Scotland, and freezing in the far south of England ...

T

Frood42

I know where my towel is
:wacko: Had to stop on the way to work to strip off layers, as I was getting way too hot on the way up the hill :heat:... turns out it was nearly +7C in Edinburgh at 7am already! Apparently the UK temperature map is upside down today from its normal state, +10 in the north of Scotland, and freezing in the far south of England ...

T

Yep, its a little chilly down here in London, I'm still in shorts, but wearing some footy socks as well :thumbsup:
Feels like temp has been going as low as 1 degree C up to 4 degrees C, with real temp around 3 degrees C to 6 degrees C.

Saturday is going as low as feels like -1 degrees C around 6am, mainly due to gusty winds.

Probably tropical compared to Scotland though ^_^

Top Bottom