How big is a portion of cereal in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
By my reckoning my children are pouring out 100g a time!
They insist on eating 3 weetabix at a time too.
I have issues don't I?! Humour me.
My kids go through cereal worse than a plague of locusts. They even eat it as a snack for supper.
I buy the own brand stuff wherever possible and blame the kids for pricing me out of the branded stuff!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My kids go through cereal worse than a plague of locusts. They even eat it as a snack for supper.
I buy the own brand stuff wherever possible and blame the kids for pricing me out of the branded stuff!

Sounds familiar. :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Buy larger clothes so they grow into them rather than grow out of them. My mother did that, and hand me downs. which is sad really as I'm the youngest of 8 and the only boy.:cry:

Ah hand me downs. Happy memories of standing in jumpers where the sleeves drag on the ground and trousers which pull up to my armpits and my mum telling me I'd grow into them.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Do you have kids? Kids don't like proper food, they like snacking and cereal is a good snacking food, for a kid

2 sons. Both of who eat proper food 3 times a day. If they want a snack they get fruit usually, or if we are feeling generous then an oat bar or similar. A bowl of cereal and (semi) milk is, what, 150-200 kCals - that is waaaay too much for a between meals snack!

Kids may not "like" proper food, but surely its our job are parents to restrict what they eat?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We eat porridge as well as cereals (not on the same day though). We tend to have porridge from about now through to April. Basically if there is an R in the month, its a porridge month. We add fruit to it, honey on occasion too. I like Oat-so-simple golden syrup flavour occasionally but we keep the packet stuff for when we oversleep/plan badly/are late.
Thought that I would mention the porridge bit as I don't want people thinking that I live on overprocessed food.

Porridge with fruit!!!

1 cup oats to 2 cups water, add salt bring to simmer and let it bubble for a bit. That is oats oh simple.

You are allowed to add honey, and maybe a bit of milk once in the bowl.

Get In The Van

Porridge for me, although i still measure it out (40g) and then add just under 300ml water (i have to measure that as well):thumbsup:
Summer can see me go to Shredded wheat (minis and normal size), just the regular 100% wheat stuff with soya milk.

As for portion size, 2 regular shredded wheats is my limit, same with wheatabix,

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
When I weigh my cereal even watching my weight I usually have 2 portions, 3 or 4 if i want a big bowl :O I tend to eat fruit and fibre, probably is full of sugar and chemicals but tastes alright.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm sure Shredded Wheat is very healthy but to me it looks and tastes like an over-priced version of this:
bale.jpeg

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm sure Shredded Wheat is very healthy but to me it looks and tastes like an over-priced version of this:
View attachment 12931
When I was a kid my brother told me that Shredded Wheat was field mice nests that were removed from the combine when harvesting the wheat.

Cereal for me is a bowl full. With those little individual variety packs it would be three of those.
But if I buy it I can eat as much I want of it.:thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
When mine were little my gripe was always the amount of milk they used on their cereals; about 3/4 pint for each of them. When they finished there was usually about 1/4 pint left in the bowl to be thrown away. I just used to moan at them and make flippant remarks about buying a cow to save money.

mine drink the milk from the bottom of the cereal bowl. like i do. and a bowl in our house is bigger than wht the makers say is a bowl. the biggest box of non kellogs bran flakes lasts me about 2 weeks ( 10 days). I eat brekkie at 05.30 and then lunch is at noon. might have a minestrone cup a soup at 10 ish.

Milo

Guru
I like cereal but it wont fill me up enough to last until lunch. For that I need bacon and eggs etc or loads of porridge. Its a snack not breakfast IMO.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Porridge made with water??? Bluergh. Made with milk and sugar here.
It would seem part of the rapid disappearance of cereal has a lot to do with youngest son grabbing a handful every time he passes through the kitchen. Kids are great at snitching on each other.

Top Bottom