How big is a portion of cereal in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Me and my mate Chris used to have Weetabix eating competitions, he won by eating a whole box!

I have 3 Oatabix for brekkie and often have cereal at night (not high fibre otherwise I'll explode in the morning :stop:) which will be 2 full pasta bowls ....
I love cereal.
It's better the kids eat/bulk out on that rather than other stuff, if they're active they need it.

12 24 48 or 72 size box. the details are important.

4 weetabix for me with enough milk on them to soften them a bit. thats a sensible breakfast

Maz

Guru
Yogurt adverts wind me up.
They dip the spoon into the yogurt...when they lift the spoon out, there's no yogurt on the underside of the spoon! I've tried to do this myself - it's impossible!! :wacko:

For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
By my reckoning my children are pouring out 100g a time!
They insist on eating 3 weetabix at a time too.
I have issues don't I?! Humour me.
3 Weetabix and a banana mixed in. Nom nom.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yogurt adverts wind me up.
They dip the spoon into the yogurt...when they lift the spoon out, there's no yogurt on the underside of the spoon! I've tried to do this myself - it's impossible!! :wacko:

You do have a full and exciting life Maz! ^_^

(But I agree. Adverts are all smoke and mirrors, food ads especially so...)

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
Hide the Wheetos and Shreedies away for yourself and just buy All Bran for them. That'll put them off 100g portions :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
thats mental then. was bad enough doing 6 crackers in a minute with no water. mouth akin to atacama
He had milk ....

Crankarm

Guru

You have brought into this world a gang of serial offenders :laugh:.

Does anyone eat Sugar Puffs? Mmmmmm. Honey monster.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Porridge made with water??? Bluergh. Made with milk and sugar here.

In a desperate attempt to reduce my not inconsiderable bulk without denying my dog his weekly visit to the pub for a pint of finest ale, I started taking porridge with water some time ago. Not easy, but you just have to follow velominati rule 5.

I quite like it with water now, which goes to show you can get used to anything really :smile:

Doseone

Guru
I know cereal can be deceiving with sugar content as is fruit juice in fact the sugar content in fruit juice is obscene and some people think its good for you

There is a lot of sugar in fruit juice - just checked the pure not from concentrate orange juice with bits in that's in the fridge and there's 10.5g of sugars per 100ml - so the average 250ml glass contains about 5 teaspoons of sugar. That's a lot. But, is there any difference between the naturally occurring fruit sugars and the refined white sugar that is added to foods? Also, there's a whole variety of drinks that are marketed in the same way as fruit juices eg cranberry juice, raspberry juice etc that seem to have a lot of added sugar in addition to their natural fructose. They are really high in sugar.

For the record, I am aware that Sunny Delight is not one of the kids 5 a day^_^

Top Bottom