How big is a portion of cereal in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Apparently, the cereal manufacturers have special bowls for photographing their product on the packet, which are smaller than most bowls, so that they can show the 'correct' portion and not look stingy.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Porridge made with water??? Bluergh. Made with milk and sugar here.

Porridge tastes much better made with water. More oaty and less claggy. It's a splash of cold (full cream) milk you want on top of it, not boiled milk in it. Try it and see - you can still put sugar on/in it. There's something about oats that enables you to taste the sweetness of the cold milk.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Apparently, the cereal manufacturers have special bowls for photographing their product on the packet, which are smaller than most bowls, so that they can show the 'correct' portion and not look stingy.

That doesn't surprise me. It's smoke and mirrors. If they were to call the size of portion that people actually eat a "serving", the nutrition information would have to have red flashing lights and sirens attached. Because it's junk food.

Peteaud

Veteran
Big (massive) bowl og golden nuggets and ice cold milk mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
By my reckoning my children are pouring out 100g a time!
They insist on eating 3 weetabix at a time too.
I have issues don't I?! Humour me.

I would be more concerned that you are sniffing shreddies.....bleurghhhhxx(

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Only 3 Weetabix ?
My son's standard breakfast is 6 Weetabix + 2 Oatibix (for variety!) , + a generous sprinkling of All-Bran.

I suppose I should admit that he is a competive swimmer, training 40 - 50 km a week
Me and my mate Chris used to have Weetabix eating competitions, he won by eating a whole box!

I have 3 Oatabix for brekkie and often have cereal at night (not high fibre otherwise I'll explode in the morning :stop:) which will be 2 full pasta bowls ....
I love cereal.
It's better the kids eat/bulk out on that rather than other stuff, if they're active they need it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Way too much really, I don't tend to have cereals other than muesli and porridge in the house but muesli tends to be most of the bowl full.

Porridge is far more defined. I use 1/3 cup porridge oats with a cup of water (measuring spoons FTW :smile:) to which I add either maple syrup* or bananas and a splash of semi skinned milk. I tried lots of different ways of making porridge and this was my favourite.

*Well Tate and Lyles golden syrup with maple flavouring, I'm not made of money

I recently bought, for the first time, a packet of Dorset Cereals...and it lasted all of three days either because they're not that great a deal for the price you pay or I'm too piggy to have a normal portion. Back to Holland and Barrett muesli or Alpen or Lidl Strawberry crunch.

Top Bottom