Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
What's the crinkly grey thing above the left-hand arch?

This is it from the other side...

Screenshot_20201110_195823.jpg

It's still an operating railway line that goes over the bridge btw...

Tribansman

Veteran
There's a lot of old railway viaducts in former coal mining areas. Ayrshire? Lanarkshire?

Yep, it's one of those....

robjh

Legendary Member
It's still an operating railway line that goes over the bridge btw...
Non-electrified, so that rules out the main Carlisle-Glasgow line via Carstairs, or some others like Lanark.
And on the edge of a town or village - visible in that latest view from the other side.
Flat-topped mound visible in first one could be from (old) mining.
Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.

Still haven't found it.

Trickedem

Guru
I feel like I have looked at every railway in Southern Scotland! Definitely an area I would like to tour. We had a couple of holidays in the area years ago and it is much quieter than the Highlands.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Someone suggested the bridge is sandstone. There's a belt of that in the north west, although I'm not sure that helps because building materials can easily be transported.

However I found several stone arched bridges in that area. No exact matches, and no mining activity in the area, so probably a false lead.

Tribansman

Veteran
I think it must be Christmas!

View attachment 557695

Caldercruix in North Lanarkshire.

No local knowledge involved. I found a road atlas which marked county boundaries clearly, and that showed there was quite a large area I hadn't yet looked at. Then I just traced the railway lines. What fun. :wacko:

Yeah it was a bit of an obscure one! There's a nice reservoir just up the road and ncn75 runs over that bridge. Takes in some really interesting sights and post industrial landscapes the Glasgow to Edinburgh route

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think it must be Christmas!

View attachment 557695

Caldercruix in North Lanarkshire.

No local knowledge involved. I found a road atlas which marked county boundaries clearly, and that showed there was quite a large area I hadn't yet looked at. Then I just traced the railway lines. What fun. :wacko:

Respect! I thought I'd looked at every railway bridge in Scotland!

Trickedem

Guru
Yeah it was a bit of an obscure one! There's a nice reservoir just up the road and ncn75 runs over that bridge. Takes in some really interesting sights and post industrial landscapes the Glasgow to Edinburgh route
Great challenge and well @Aravis for getting this. Still can't understand why I never looked at this bit of line!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Which all means you have to endure another one of mine...

I think I might've been underestimating this one, so I'll give it a try:

Beauty!

Top Bottom