Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Looks very Forest of Bowland-ish...! :whistle:

A bit more north, and a bit more west :okay:

MontyVeda

It looks like this is a National Cycling Network Road. The road to right is possibly private, whilst straight ahead through the gate is the actual road.
correct... but it's no longer an NCN route. I'm guessing rights of access changed and the route got rerouted. Google maps does still highlight the lane and track as bicycle-friendly though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I miss riding around there. I don't really want to go that far from home in the current situation, but will get back to the FoB and beyond ASAP after vaccination. It is a really great area for cycling***! (I haven't found out exactly where this is yet though, and I suspect someone else will beat me to it because I have other things to do for the next few hours.)

*** And therefore for visits to MontyVeda's sister's holiday cottage! See the link in his signature. If you can't see the signature and you are viewing on a phone, turn it to landscape mode and the signature will miraculously appear. :smile:

MontyVeda

Trickedem

Guru
NorthWest of the Forest of Bowland seems to point towards the Lake District or the outskirts. The hill is quite distinctive, so should show quite well on an OS mapp

Trickedem

Guru
It looked like the fringe of the lakes, and your clue on being a former NCN still marked as cycle friendly led me to the track heading towards Low Lorton from the West.

There's a perfect match on the OS map with a junction exactly like that, the contours match perfectly, and to my surprise it's on Street View.

And, hey presto - wrong again.
England

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oeiRqhhzVhrsKxcx5
Great minds think alike. I hope we are looking in the right area.

MontyVeda

It looked like the fringe of the lakes, and your clue on being a former NCN still marked as cycle friendly led me to the track heading towards Low Lorton from the West.

There's a perfect match on the OS map with a junction exactly like that, the contours match perfectly, and to my surprise it's on Street View.

And, hey presto - wrong again.
England

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oeiRqhhzVhrsKxcx5
You're in the right quadrant of the Lake District :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It does lead to browsing some nice cycle terrain

MontyVeda

Gotcha!

View attachment 558337

Edit: Just West of Bassenthwaite Lake, the road right is to Wythop Hall. It doesn't seem to have a name.
well done!

It was a circular ride from Cockermouth to Keswick. I was expecting a road all the way and it was early in the foot & mouth outbreak when all the footpaths were closed. I wasn't sure whether to proceed or not, but i did. It was muddy as feck, steep in places and knackering... I was parched and my water bottle was completely covered in mud. It was the ride I realised I needed a crud catcher.
map linky

Over to you :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom