Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I think it must be Christmas!

View attachment 557695

Caldercruix in North Lanarkshire.

No local knowledge involved. I found a road atlas which marked county boundaries clearly, and that showed there was quite a large area I hadn't yet looked at. Then I just traced the railway lines. What fun. :wacko:
Drat, @Aravis , I was just settling down with a railway atlas and google maps to look for that!

Mr Celine

Discordian
This is it from the other side...

View attachment 557526

It's still There's now an operating railway line that goes over the bridge btw...

:angry: FTFY. The Googlecar took that picture in April 2009. Airdrie to Bathgate was not re-opened until December 2010 and was electrified.
I spent hours looking at railway viaducts but had discounted any on electrified lines.

Top challenge though.:smile:

Tribansman

Veteran
:angry: FTFY. The Googlecar took that picture in April 2009. Airdrie to Bathgate was not re-opened until December 2010 and was electrified.
I spent hours looking at railway viaducts but had discounted any on electrified lines.

Yeah, I knew it had been shut then reopened, but didn't twig the date and absence of overhead lines on streetview. Sorry!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I've been caught out by old Streetview pictures in the past...

"And here is where we will stop for our mid-forum ride coffee break!"

Whoops!

What it looks like now...

Slightly more welcoming! :okay:

Trickedem

Guru
Which all means you have to endure another one of mine...

I think I might've been underestimating this one, so I'll give it a try:

View attachment 557704

Beauty!
I assume this is somewhere in the Cotswolds. A quick google of Cotswolds Beauty reveals the location of several beauty salons, spas and nail bars, so not much help.

From the picture I can see, what appears to be a busy car park, so this could be a reasonable sized village. It is also on a bus route.
https://www.pulhamscoaches.com/pulhams-bus-timetables/ reveal that there are lots of bus services in the Cotswolds, so not much help either, although this does mean the village is more likely to be on A or B road.

On the other hand it looks very pretty.:rolleyes:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
There are too many AONBs for "Beauty" to be much of a steer, so I ought to say it's not that.

It was actually meant to be a quotation, and is a reference to football, in particular the 1966 World Cup.

Cotswolds wasn't far off, but it's not within the AONB.

Edit: perhaps @Tribansman you might like to reconsider? You can always pass your next turn.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
There are too many AONBs for "Beauty" to be much of a steer, so I ought to say it's not that.

It was actually meant to be a quotation, and is a reference to football, in particular the 1966 World Cup.

Edit: perhaps @Tribansman you might like to reconsider? You can always pass your next turn.

The "beautiful game" immediately springs to mind, but its origins seem obscure and not related to 1966.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beautiful_Game

Your clue, to me at least then, remains equally obscure

Tribansman

Veteran

Ok, happy to pass my next turn.

It's Canada Bank/The Strand in Charlton:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FLXtNpDd12HjFH6t6

Ohhhh....reference to a Bobby Charlton goal??

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Ok, happy to pass my next turn.

It's Canada Bank/The Strand in Charlton:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FLXtNpDd12HjFH6t6

Ohhhh....reference to a Bobby Charlton goal??
Precisely right on both counts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verILGdy1PI

If there's one goal I'll always remember when Bobby Charlton's name is mentioned it's this one. With Kenneth Wolstenholme's iconic "Beauty!" I hoped there was the basis for a clue. Well, I could see it anyway!

If everyone's feeling shy, then may I nominate Mr. @Dogtrousers for the next one as his are always so absorbing and I don't think we've had one for a while?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Precisely right on both counts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verILGdy1PI

If there's one goal I'll always remember when Bobby Charlton's name is mentioned it's this one. With Kenneth Wolstenholme's iconic "Beauty!" I hoped there was the basis for a clue. Well, I could see it anyway!

If everyone's feeling shy, then may I nominate Mr. @Dogtrousers for the next one as his are always so absorbing and I don't think we've had one for a while?

Doesn't look like a cycling route - I reckon it's at Wembley :hyper:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What? Who?

Er .. sorry I missed the earlier post. OK here's a picture I took on a long ride just under three years ago.
Not far away is the home of a very unfortunate queen.
View attachment 558134
is it the B2086? Bandananadunun Road or something?? Can't seem to find any sign of the pointer though, or the iron fence.

after thinking "that looks like the windmill in Chocky's Children" I googled that and it wasn't. but a bit of wiki searching for other post mills quickly led me to Rolvenden Mill.

[edit] found the sign and fence.. you must've used a long lens?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks @Dogtrousers ... I might have to dig out my Chocky DVD and rewatch the first two series :smile:

I've got a feeling this might be a tricky one, but I'm posting it because this was one of those memorable rides taken during the 2001 foot and mouth outbreak when much of the countryside was locked down.

A couple of pointers to narrow down a countrywide search for this 'not even a B road' lane that appears to be nameless;

It's in the north west.
It's a 'bicycle friendly road'.

Top Bottom