Bitten off a little more than I can currently chew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You'll have absolutely no problems all. Just don't let your son make you ride faster than you really want to.

Have a great ride.

ExBrit

Über Member
You'll have absolutely no problems all. Just don't let your son make you ride faster than you really want to.

Have a great ride.

Please be sure to let us know how it goes. I am confident you will not regret doing this.
It's probably too late for most of the advice here, but it might be worth a look.

View: https://youtu.be/seDSZUbObJY

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Good luck- though hopefully you won't need it. Can't really add anything to the good advice posted by others. Looking forward to the report and pics!

Slick

Guru
I'm looking forward to hearing how this went, sounds like its going to be a belter, good luck. :thumbsup:

Unlike most, I struggle to eat on the bike. Most of my working life was long days of physical effort, and I always felt to maintain that, I would eat as little as possible during the effort, then eat like a rhino after. I'm not suggesting this is good practice or anything, its just I personally would have the feeling of my body shutting down for the day if I stopped for a good lunch halfway through a tough ride. Tea and cake is always welcome, but other than that, I eat the night before and maybe a good breakfast if the ride isn't massively early.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My son dragged me round a 100 mile ride in late February, but did it with 4 stops. Was tempted to take the train home and miss out the final 16 miles, but he wasn't, so we didn't.

Hope you have had a great time. TBH, it is a great time for building relationships. Your child will see you in a new light once you have finished. So much time parents seem to drift through life, full of answers and energy, being the first up, last to bed, and last to collapse during the day. Mostly, this is just an image, a face we put on, and children aspire to be that much in control, when their parents rarely are themselves. Usually this helps, as the last thing a child needs to know is that the rock in their lives is just a bit crumbly. Hopefully today your child will have seen your vulnerabilities, but also your inner steel, the bit that keeps you going when there is a lot around that is yelling "STOP!!!".

At some point the child will need to fend for itself, not just physically and financially, but also mentally. If the child has had a little peak behind the mask, and is aware what a struggle adulting actually is, they may be better prepared and less dependent, loving you rather than needing you.

Wishing you both the longest lasting positive memories.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
stops me obsessing about distance covered/remaining

Something I used to do was not look at distance remaining till it was below a number I’d managed before. Thus in @Cathryn ’s case I would not look at distance remaining till I knew it was definitely below 60 miles. Then I’d dismiss distance ridden already and know what remained was something I’m capable of.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments and encouragement. We are currently baking oatmeal cookies and quinoa patties for fuel. Starting to be more excited and less nervous.

Shame about the weather today but I think @Cathryn and Pog will be fine with the distance; all it takes is a sensible pace and breaks as necessary.

The bigger question is why Quinoa?

Top Bottom