Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
You're getting better, you lasted more than 9 miles last night :popcorn:

I should of carried on yesterday. I think lack of experience and a big dollop of petulance let me down. When we caught your group I couldn’t get through it and in my head in that split second the race was over. Talking to Lee, bob and kip afterwards I learnt a little more about drafting so that’s good.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I was trying too :sweat: I made gains on the ramps but you would get the time back on the downs :angry:
Gravity is (currently) my friend :mrpig:

I knew if I could stay away from you out of the tunnel then I could rest for 10 secs down the descent to St James palace. I was then hoping that short breather would be enough to let me push the final 1.5km to the finish and hold you off. I caught a D rider too, who didn't want to work with me (I guess he was at his limit) but just having another rider there does help I find. It spurs you on a bit more.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
He's Cat C - he's contemplating being a :training: not a :girldance:

Pfft. If he’s in C Cat these days he’s clearly not been trying hard enough!

Weren’t you saying the other day your ftp was over 300 andy? Pan flat course too!?

Na, I’ll stick with my original assessment! :girldance::biggrin:

Whorty

I should of carried on yesterday. I think lack of experience and a big dollop of petulance let me down. When we caught your group I couldn’t get through it and in my head in that split second the race was over. Talking to Lee, bob and kip afterwards I learnt a little more about drafting so that’s good.
It takes time, but racing in Zwift is a world away from Bkool. So much more tactical. In Bkool there is no way I would have held on to the B group that caught us last night, but in Zwift if you can get the tactics right then it gives you a chance to hold on to a faster group. When you guys caught us last night we were preparing for you - as you caught us we ramped up our power so we could grab a draft. I maxed out my watts at 400 for 5 seconds, and averaged 355 for over a minute to stick to the group. Once I was in draft I could go back down to about 250 (3.0 w/kg) even though those pulling at the front were probably doing closer to 4 w/kg. Once you pop out the back though, there was no way to get back on and you're gone!

What they say about Zwift racing (and I guess real life is similar) is that the strongest rider doesn't always win.

Whorty

I am, undecided whether to ride in B or C. I was waiting to see how many appeared in each group this afternoon. You need numbers to draft and move quickly
I guess your choice is .....

Ride B , get a fast start with lead group but then maybe get dropped and hope to get into a group with other Bs. Initially you'll be faster, but it will then depend how large the B group is you find yourself in that will dictate the final part of the ride.

Ride C and you'll be in the lead group for the whole ride. Last night we had about 20 riders still when B caught us. Maybe 7 or so of us held on to the Bs for a couple of fast laps (I set quite a few PBs whilst I was in that B group). You'll likely hang on to the Bs to the end. So, a slower start to the race compared to if you rode B, but with a faster finish.

Being borderline C/B ...... it's a hard decision :becool:

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I guess your choice is .....

Ride B , get a fast start with lead group but then maybe get dropped and home to get into a group with other Bs. Initially you'll be faster, but it will then depend how large the B group is you find yourself in that will dictate the final part of the ride.

Ride C and you'll be in the lead group for the whole ride. Last night we had about 20 riders still when B caught us. Maybe 7 or so of us held on to the Bs for a couple of fast laps (I set quite a few PBs whilst I was in that B group). You'll likely hang on to the Bs to the end. So, a slower start to the race compared to if you rode B, but with a faster finish.

Being borderline C/B ...... it's a hard decision :becool:
Yeah but our mini league is being ranked primarily on actual race time (rightly so I think as the handicaps in these races are quite a blunt tool). And apart from Lars, all the other B's in yesterday's race were a few minutes quicker than the C's. Worth the gamble that you can stay with the Bs and benefit from the faster overall speed

Top Bottom