Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
right, work totally screwed my day on Tuesday, but I should be ok for tonight..

How does hare and hounds work?
Is it similar to track games? Ie one group goes off the front, the other group(s) have to try and catch them in x amount of laps ?

I'm probably bordering on the C/D category so to be safe have registered for D. Not used ZP really before so not sure how that all fits in..

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

Is it similar to track games? Ie one group goes off the front, the other group(s) have to try and catch them in x amount of laps ?

I'm probably bordering on the C/D category so to be safe have registered for D. Not used ZP really before so not sure how that all fits in..

That’s how it works in a nutshell Jamin. If you look at the event on the companion app it tells you what time each catergory will set off.

bridgy

Legendary Member

The D group sets off first - tonight at 18.00 - then the C group goes at 18.07, B at 18.10 and A at 18.12. The idea is you work together as a category to keep the faster Cat behind you and catch the Cat(s) ahead.

If you're new to Zwiftpower itwon't yet have assigned you a category - it will once it has some data to work on, and then you have to race in your assigned cat (or a higher cat if you're feeling crazy!) For now, go for the cat that you think best based on the bandings below, and bear in mind if you exceed the w/kg limit you'll be DQ's from the Zwiftpower results, where we take our times for the spreadsheet from:

D - up to 2.5 w/kg and 150W
C - 2.5 to 3.2 w/kg and 150-200W
B - 3.2 to 4.0 w/kg and 200-250W
A - 4.0 w/kg and 250W or higher

See you there at 6(ish)!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

If you're registered with ZP, dont worry at this point. Use the Zwift app on your phone to select the race and category you're entering. Do it earlier in the day. When you log in 15-20 mins before the race and start warming up, you should see in the bottom left 'Join Race'.
You can either select it and warm up on the start line or just ride around and at 5mins you will be automatically taken to the start line readying for the race.

Tips, build power before zero seconds then go flat out at the start for a long as possible to get into the front pack. DO NOT go too hard that you blow up in the first mile. Settle into the race and draft (directly behind other riders). Hang on and sprint for the finish if youve got anything left. Good luck

JuhaL

Guru
Yes, most riders use the standard black or orange helmets, and it is hard to tell them apart, especially in a race like this, where the jerseys are the same. Forgot that I changed my bike frame the other day to the Cervelo S2 (after reaching level 24), and that one doesn't allow colour changes. It's just black like so many other rider's...
That level 24 frame is actually Cervelo S5. I am very accurate these small details because i have Cervelo :biggrin:. Just see times of yesterdays hare and hound race, you guys are on fire. I was little bit too tired to join the race so i decided to ride easier free ride.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
That level 24 frame is actually Cervelo S5. I am very accurate these small details because i have Cervelo :biggrin:. Just see times of yesterdays hare and hound race, you guys are on fire. I was little bit too tired to join the race so i decided to ride easier free ride.

You're probably right about the Cervelo. :okay: Only changed to it because, according to ZwiftInsider, it is a bit faster than the Trek Madone I used to ride.
IRL I ride a Cannondale Synapse and an older Giant TCR.

Yesterday's nice flat course makes us heavier guys look better. :smile:

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Well done everyone, especially @Marino.g ! Looks like the handicap system does it's job v well of ensuring competitiveness.

Did anyone use the discord (think thats what its called) thing out of interest? /Think it would be good to trial it at one of these events when there is a good turnout if it isn't being used?

Looking forward to joining the c group next week!
Looking forward to sitting on your wheel and have you drag me along :hugs:

JuhaL

Guru
Yesterday's nice flat couse makes us heavier guys look better. :smile:
Greater London Flat route is good for heavier guys you are right. Only part in that route is climb up from the metro tunnel what probably start feel your legs, especially when you have to do that more than once. Ride could be difficult after that if you separate your group in that short climb.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
If you're registered with ZP, dont worry at this point. Use the Zwift app on your phone to select the race and category you're entering. Do it earlier in the day. When you log in 15-20 mins before the race and start warming up, you should see in the bottom left 'Join Race'.
You can either select it and warm up on the start line or just ride around and at 5mins you will be automatically taken to the start line readying for the race.

Tips, build power before zero seconds then go flat out at the start for a long as possible to get into the front pack. DO NOT go too hard that you blow up in the first mile. Settle into the race and draft (directly behind other riders). Hang on and sprint for the finish if youve got anything left. Good luck
Andy forgot the biggest tip ..... try not to vom xx(

Top Bottom