Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If once wasn't enough I did stage 8 cat A again, this time in a Fasted state (which I'm doing more of) kept to around 3 w/kg on the flat and 3.5-4 w/kg on climbs time was 1:12:28.
Even seen fellow cc'er @Specialeyes

That would be when you flew past me very impressively on the first climb of Box Hill!

As an aside, I got to thinking on the second ascent how long the climb would need to be for it to be worthwhile stopping completely, switching to the Emonda with the lightweight Meilenstein wheels for the climb, then switching back to the Concept bike at the top. Then I realised it was just like the real world - ride up grades, not upgrades n'all that - plus it would probably be Epic Watopia KOM or the Alpe for it to be worthwhile, and using the same (virtual) equipment every effort makes for better comparison over time.

I did Stage 8B yesterday after 2 tough games of hockey and with lead legs, as a safety net in case I didn't ride today. Then did 8A today and went well (1:14:09), but would have been better still without yesterday in the legs :rolleyes:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I am actually on that challenge already from my time using the wattbike. I’ve probably climbed about 5ft though.
Yeah well don't hold your breath - took me well over a year!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Don't worry Tommy I've been on Zwift for over a year and still haven't really sussed out how to do "ride ons" whilst riding - I'm usually concentrating on other things - like breathing!

It’s a bit of a odd phrase anyway isn’t it? I’ve never heard anyone use it out in the real world but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time.

Pleased with the turbo in general though. I dosn’t have the peddling through treacle effect the wattbike creates, when trying to move from a standing start.
I’m still finding the side to side movement slightly un natural. It’s sort of how I imagine the rocker boards to react. Pushing you back to centre rather than you doing so yourself. It creates a weird rythem of it’s own. I’m sure I’ll get used to it though and it’s probably much more sympathetic on your joints to have that movement.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Whorty it was nice riding with you briefly earlier. Thanks for the thumbs up. I did briefly try and work out how to return the gesture on my phone but gave up. So have one here instead! :thumbsup:
I saw you pop up and wasn't sure at first if it was you or not :okay: I was riding the ToC route via the Element but using Zwift for screen/entertainment. I set the bike gear to the closest to my SS (the gearing today is a little higher, but better than being lower). I rode 28.6km (17.8 miles) in an hour. This is nearly 2 mph faster than I'm aiming to do the ToC in so relatively pleased. Those first few miles do have a few limps up to 5 and 6%. I can get over them easy enough on the SS gearing, but I can imagine the legs will tire as the day goes on. I did notice after the ride that my Element weight was set as 86kg which I guess is what I was back in June last year. I've re-set it now to 82kg so hills should be a little easier next time :biggrin:

Thanks @CXRAndy for the video link on how to get a route in Element that I can ride. Now I can properly train for the ToC and using the same bike gearing as the day.

Based on today's ride I should be on for my target of 6 hours if I can mostly maintain that power/speed for the rest of the ride :tongue:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Carl just dont ride solo, if you get dropped, dont panic, another group should be along, get into the draft.
I also need to ride intelligently. Don't chase people up the hills; if I get dropped, then as you say keep going but wait for the next group to latch on to, to get some free watts in a draft :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
It’s a bit of a odd phrase anyway isn’t it? I’ve never heard anyone use it out in the real world but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time.

Pleased with the turbo in general though. I dosn’t have the peddling through treacle effect the wattbike creates, when trying to move from a standing start.
I’m still finding the side to side movement slightly un natural. It’s sort of how I imagine the rocker boards to react. Pushing you back to centre rather than you doing so yourself. It creates a weird rythem of it’s own. I’m sure I’ll get used to it though and it’s probably much more sympathetic on your joints to have that movement.
No one actually says it in real life do they???!!

I only really notice the side to side movement when grinding out a big gear - and I've got used to it and like it now.

One of the things I noticed when changing from the Bkool to the Neo is when you stand up to push really hard, your watts really drop off for the first few seconds before kicking in, whilst with the bkool they went up pretty instantly

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
One of the things I noticed when changing from the Bkool to the Neo is when you stand up to push really hard, your watts really drop off for the first few seconds before kicking in, whilst with the bkool they went up pretty instantly

I noticed that too, first few times I abandoned the standing effort, but found if I persevere the Watts climb. I tend to stand only to stretch out and transfer leg load. I find it much easier to produce quick power by upping cadence

No one actually says it in real life do they???!!

I only really notice the side to side movement when grinding out a big gear - and I've got used to it and like it now.

I always took it to be a play on the 1970s “right on”. But I thought that while looking down at my bell bottoms.

peterob

Veteran
TdZ spreadsheet updated with all stage 8 results. Lots of continued good performances today :okay:

I've added @Nebulous and @Specialeyes to the sheet, but without the stage 6 result from @Nebulous affecting the max times.

I also extrapolated the 'B' result from @Brusgaard to the longer distance. This is probably a bit unfair as the B distance included two ascents of Box Hill - but am attempt of the full distance next weekend should rectify that ^_^

Just one more stage left!

TdZ.png

Top Bottom