Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
@Whorty I have a resting HR of 45-55 according to my Garmin Fenix 3 HR (If I am in the high end of that range I'm usually sick). If you don't have a 24/7 capable HR monitor/watch then resting HR should be taken immediately upon waking before you get out of bed. My traces show that my lowest steady HR is in the hour before I wake up. Sitting I reside around the 55-65 and standing 65-75 if not moving. I scare the crap out of the Doc when I see him as he thinks it should be higher due to my other issues, weight being the main one.

I wonder about the accuracy at the extreme ranges, i got a fenix 5 for Christmas and It dips below 40 most days if i'm sitting for a couple of hours, lowest so far 35 and i don't wear it whilst sleeping. That said I now will wear it whilst sleeping in case i'm grossly bradycardic!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Whilst a low heart rate is a sign of good aerobic fitness, too low a hr can be a problem. Watch out for dizziness when standing or getting up from laying down.

My HR is round 48-53. I've never tested night time, however sometimes I can hear my watch tick the second hand and my hr is nearly 2 seconds per beat when fully relaxed in bed, so it must be getting to low 40 or high 30s :ohmy:

Del C

Veteran
My resting HR is about 65 which I was pleased with .... until i saw your and Bob's resting HR!
You’ll have to add mine to the list as well.

My resting heart rate is normally low 40s. I have worn a heart monitor for 24 hours and its dropped to low 30s when I’m asleep.

It’s always been slow.

I have managed to hit 167bpm recently on a sprint at the end of a race, but generally I’m like @Freelanderuk when I’m working hard and just about getting into the 150s.

kipster

Guru
My resting HR is about 55-60, I often get dizzy when standing, I figured it's just a by product of being tall, skrawny and reasonably fit. My max HR achieved last year was 192, not bad for someone who turns 50 this year. Been to the docs and nothimg untowards found.

Great work on the spreadsheet. I share the zwift account with my lad and he did stage 1, he was slower than I wouldve done it so happy to stick to that time, if I do it on a catch up day I'll update it.

He's had most of the winter off the bike, but he is 20, 6'1" and 60kg. If he does another stage then I'll let you know and we can adjust if needed (ie if he turns up the wick on a big hill).

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just shows how variable resting and peak HR is, but doesn't affect peak physical activity. Only maybe youngsters with much higher peak

Del C

Veteran
My resting HR is about 55-60, I often get dizzy when standing, I figured it's just a by product of being tall, skrawny and reasonably fit. My max HR achieved last year was 192, not bad for someone who turns 50 this year. Been to the docs and nothimg untowards found.

Great work on the spreadsheet. I share the zwift account with my lad and he did stage 1, he was slower than I wouldve done it so happy to stick to that time, if I do it on a catch up day I'll update it.

He's had most of the winter off the bike, but he is 20, 6'1" and 60kg. If he does another stage then I'll let you know and we can adjust if needed (ie if he turns up the wick on a big hill).
I sometimes get dizzy when standing from a seated position, but not from lying down.

It’s been better over the last year, as I’ve tried to pay more attention to staying hydrated. I’ve always struggled to drink enough when riding and have tried much harder to drink when riding and after riding. It does seem to have helped.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
upload_2019-1-10_17-42-52.jpeg
i could dangle one of these off my ears :biggrin: but ........

mjd1988

Guru
I sometimes get dizzy when standing from a seated position, but not from lying down.

It’s been better over the last year, as I’ve tried to pay more attention to staying hydrated. I’ve always struggled to drink enough when riding and have tried much harder to drink when riding and after riding. It does seem to have helped.

If your heart rate is spiking suddenly it can be a sign of dehydration - your blood has less water (essentially) so your blood pressure will lower and so your heart has to pump faster to maintain cardiac output. But overtraining can also bugger it up all over the place.

First smaller race today since the 7th of December with the tour of london and now zwift! Felt good, need to ensure I have more frequent shorter burst races, I think the longer stages has been good for endurance but bad for FTP.

P.s. the lag column on zwiftpower - any accuracy? It is saying today that I had over 30 seconds of lag (didn't feel like there was any at all). whereas it had originally said over a minute of lag on Stage 3, but now says less than one second. May be totally misunderstanding what they are referring to.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Whorty I have a resting HR of 45-55 according to my Garmin Fenix 3 HR (If I am in the high end of that range I'm usually sick). If you don't have a 24/7 capable HR monitor/watch then resting HR should be taken immediately upon waking before you get out of bed. My traces show that my lowest steady HR is in the hour before I wake up. Sitting I reside around the 55-65 and standing 65-75 if not moving. I scare the crap out of the Doc when I see him as he thinks it should be higher due to my other issues, weight being the main one.
Interesting. I normally see the 65 ish HR when I'm sitting on the bike getting ready to ride. Never measured it on waking before I get out of bed.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Whilst a low heart rate is a sign of good aerobic fitness, too low a hr can be a problem. Watch out for dizziness when standing or getting up from laying down.

My HR is round 48-53. I've never tested night time, however sometimes I can hear my watch tick the second hand and my hr is nearly 2 seconds per beat when fully relaxed in bed, so it must be getting to low 40 or high 30s :ohmy:
I do suffer from dizziness when standing; usually on days after riding on Zwift so I put it down to dehydration. I'm on meds for the common 'male problem' (i'm sure you older guys know what I mean :giggle:) and that can also cause dizziness when standing. I'm used to it now so can control it, but not great when eyesight goes for a few secs and all you can see is stars :eek:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Re heart rate
My rhr used to be 38-40. Long time ago. But I ran a lot and did a lot of sport and was told by my gp I had an athletes heart! A little higher nowadays but not much. As a result I suffer from dizziness when getting up from seated or standing for too long. It’s the HR range I sometime worry about especially at 56y of age. Low 40’s to 184/5 is quite a range. So I always wear a hrm to monitor post ride recovery. If there’s any suggestion of HR remaining high post exercise I would be straight down the hospital.

Top Bottom