Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm a long way off getting the knack, but I don't give up very readily, and I'll get there eventually.

If you get short period wifi dropouts, dont stop pedalling if you're in a group . In fact pedal harder because whilst you've lost connection, the draft benefit is not there. If the dropouts last 10-20secs, when the PC re establish connection you could well be near your group and continue the race. This happened on the race I did mid xmas. The kids were downloading film/gaming and i got a dropped link for two short period, the first time i reappeared 5 metres off the back of my group the second occasion i actually outpaced the group. I then finished the race with my group

Nebulous

Guru
If you get short period wifi dropouts, dont stop pedalling if you're in a group . In fact pedal harder because whilst you've lost connection, the draft benefit is not there. If the dropouts last 10-20secs, when the PC re establish connection you could well be near your group and continue the race. This happened on the race I did mid xmas. The kids were downloading film/gaming and i got a dropped link for two short period, the first time i reappeared 5 metres off the back of my group the second occasion i actually outpaced the group. I then finished the race with my group

Thanks Andy - there may well have been somebody else downloading or gaming, as I have two (adult/student) children here at the moment. It said something about lead-out and a distance at the bottom, but the lap counter wasn't working. The router isn't tremendously far from the garage, but it needs to get a signal through thick walls in a very old house.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
If it's available mobile phone's personal hotspot could be solution if problems with wifi.

That is how we use data at home with 4G routers. The speed is 10 times faster than BT telephone data, the dropouts are rare and if it does dropout reconnection is much faster

JuhaL

Guru
That is how we use data at home with 4G routers. The speed is 10 times faster than BT telephone data, the dropouts are rare and if it does dropout reconnection is much faster
Same thing in here. Here we use 4G router too, only difficult cases we try to use phones hotspot if main connection isn't strong enough.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Same thing in here. Here we use 4G router too, only difficult cases we try to use phones hotspot if main connection isn't strong enough.

Does your 4g router have external aerial input. You can get directional outdoor antenna to significant ly boost signal, and it can increase speed as well.

JuhaL

Guru
Does your 4g router have external aerial input. You can get directional outdoor antenna to significant ly boost signal, and it can increase speed as well.
Yes it support that but i have those port's only 2 internal antenna's which came in a package. Seems to work well like that but you are right, outdoor antenna can boost well the signal. Now my download speed is about 40mbps. This is a time when people use internet a lot. Sometimes speed is over 100mbps.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes it support that but i have those port's only 2 internal antenna's which came in a package. Seems to work well like that but you are right, outdoor antenna can boost well the signal. Now my download speed is about 40mbps. This is a time when people use internet a lot. Sometimes speed is over 100mbps.
We had 6mb with BT landline. Now with 4g it's around 60mb. When we move house the new property has a reasonable 4g signal, I will boost it with an outdoor antenna. Maybe by then 5g has rolled out so I'll get 600mb

Marino.g

Veteran

Is 4G not too expensive to use because of the data charges.
4GEE charges about £70 a month on their plan.

JuhaL

Guru
We had 6mb with BT landline. Now with 4g it's around 60mb. When we move house the new property has a reasonable 4g signal, I will boost it with an outdoor antenna. Maybe by then 5g has rolled out so I'll get 600mb
Finnish tele operator DNA open first 5G network in Helsinki now turn of the year. Hope it spread soon other location too. In Finland are some location where is no internet connections because signal doesn't reach all domestic's.

Del C

Veteran
Hardwire, or go with a WiFi Mesh setup, last resort Powerline adapters ... My Cave of Pain is 30m from the house, and I've run a cable out there
Another vote for this approach.

Went from Powerline to Mesh WiFi to Ethernet and each step was an improvement.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Faaaark. Great start to the new year.

Lose the kickr18 to the issues they've been suffering. Waiting for a reply.

Now I got a throat that feels like someone poured battery acid down it and I'm coughing up some wonderfully coloured gunk. Luckily it has not got to my chest yet (famous last words and all that).

May try to get a bimble in on the bike later, but not sure.

Top Bottom