Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Did a couple of hill climbs today near Warwick, and had the very great pleasure of meeting @Norry1 too. They were ‘just’ club events, but well attended with strong fields. I came third in the first race (a short one at Burton Dassett Country Park), and my legs fell off in the second (down the road at Edge Hill).

Tomorrow is an open event at Monsal Edge - similar in duration to BDCP - but with a massive and super-strong field!

Great to meet Mr @Legs yesterday - have to say he can scamper up them hills pretty sharpish. Just seen his result on the Monsal Head Hill Climb today - very well done - I'll let him update us.

I got PB's on both the Hill Climbs yesterday and just missed my best ever 2 minute Power on the first climb. Awaiting the Age/Gender adjusted results now.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I did 1:43.1 for equal 47th place out of 162 finishers (the chip times were two seconds slower than the stopwatch-recorded times).

Seriously hard, I think I was a bit overgeared in the last 100 yards but I didn’t want to risk changing down with so much tension on the chain!

It’s a unbelievable event, really well organised and an awesome atmosphere.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
This recent talk about the early days of virtual cycling, I had a look at my Bkool account. Not ridden on there since Dec 2019. And then, it seems I was only 73kg! I'm 10kg heavier at the moment, that's a bit of an eye opener.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I got into indoor riding 9 or so years ago after shattering my calcaneus falling 10 ft from a ladder🩼🩼

It probably saved me from permanent limp and walking stick. Really took to it. I was on Bkool initially but with a Wahoo Kickr. Used to get my arse handed to me compared to the Bkool Pro users :laugh:.

Fortunately my in law had a Bkool trainer, but wasn't using it, I borrowed it.

That and nearly 200psi in the tyres made for some crazy performance figures-not realistic. :laugh:

That's when I migrated to Zwift and apart from 1 year in the wilderness regarding indoor riding, I have not looked back.

Onwards :bicycle:

mjd1988

Guru
Sufferfest and gcn rides on YouTube for me before trying zwift in 2018. Brief flirtation with free version of RGT but BKOOL never really on radar aside from all the chat on here

Whorty

Sufferfest and gcn rides on YouTube for me before trying zwift in 2018. Brief flirtation with free version of RGT but BKOOL never really on radar aside from all the chat on here

As @CXRAndy says, Bkool and their Pro trainer were something to behold. Tyres pumped to the max, and the generosity of the trainer even had me being bale to hold 300 watts on the velodrome for 30 minutes :laugh:
A couple of forays on to Zwift with that trainer and I had to admit the 'help' was unfair on others so I picked up a second hand Kickr off a guy called Geoff.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
A couple of forays on to Zwift with that trainer and I had to admit the 'help' was unfair on others so I picked up a second hand Kickr off a guy called Geoff.

I still follow Geoff, he's still pedalling. He got himself an e-bike a while back to keep his HR under control - ever since his medical emergency. That why he sold his indoor bits and bobs

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
As @CXRAndy says, Bkool and their Pro trainer were something to behold. Tyres pumped to the max, and the generosity of the trainer even had me being bale to hold 300 watts on the velodrome for 30 minutes :laugh:

I tried my TT disc wheel with tubeless max'd out, just a few times, I could even smoke Paul on the flats holding way over 400W :biggrin:

It was a great ego boost, but you came crashing down when trying Zwift with anything but a Bkool.

Bkool Pro Cocaine for indoor users :laugh:

Whorty

I still follow Geoff, he's still pedalling. He got himself an e-bike a while back to keep his HR under control - ever since his medical emergency. That why he sold his indoor bits and bobs

That's right - I seem to recall he had a heart attack whilst in a Bkool race' I went to his house to pick up the trainer, met his wife etc, she was adamant he wasn't going to race again! He had his e-bike then, a Specialized as I recall, very smart it was too.

Nice chap, very fit, but just shows that any of us could have something like this happen at any time so live life to the max and positively as none of us know what's in our future.

steverob

Guru
For me, I’d been interested in doing some indoor training for a while but it wasn’t the software that was the thing holding me back but the bike. Only having one and the fact that it was stored in the garage (away from house, no power) meant that I’d have to bring it in and upstairs, then remove a wheel to connect it up every time I wanted to ride, which sounded like a real pain.

Then I heard about the Wattbike Atom and everything clicked in to place. Placed my order the day it officially went on sale - still had to wait seven weeks for delivery as demand was so high.

During that time I researched the various software packages and decided I’d try Zwift first and if I didn’t like it, would go for another after that. Turns out I never needed to!

One stroke of luck was that before my Atom arrived, I signed on to Zwift to take a look around, set up my avatar and do some watching of others on the recently released London course (was only a few weeks old I think). Now your 14 day free trial didn’t start until you began pedalling but apparently just signing in was enough for me to be considered an early adopter of Zwift and so when a week or so later they put up the prices, I got the grandfathered in lower price for the next 12 months - result!

Top Bottom