Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
@CXRAndy You're unreachable now

Screen Shot 2024-09-17 at 12.38.13.png

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
So how do you suggest the initial ranking should have been calculated to avoid this?

I don't know, maybe a shorter period of recent results, to reflect current form. If you are a beginner with no history, then a base score given or rider needs to do a few events to create a profile.

bridgy

Legendary Member
No not really. It's mostly in your head. We're talking about a second here or there.

100% agree with Alex here - in most races only marginal differences - but psychologically at least, nice to know you're on potentially the fastest bike you can be!

Where the bike differences can be more profound are on things like a pure hill climb up Alpe de Zwift or a flat TT with no drafting where the difference between the fastest and slowest bikes for those specific types of race can actually be quite big (eg 40 second difference between fastest and slowest TT bike over 20 miles of flat, and similar time difference between fastest and slowest bike frames up the Alpe)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

I had a good race considering there was only 3 of us. The rider who was signed up didn't appear. I thought I was in for a lonely event with my two others racers setting off at over 4W/kg on the early climb. Thankfully the pace eased, I got back on and matched their pace over the crest. I wanted to lead to get the supertuck and make the other two work a bit. I had nearly 20 secs lead at the bottom. I held this until the Viaduct, where one rider decided to make the bridge to me. From there I swapped efforts for a minute to create as big a lead over the other lightweight. It worked creating a 1min30 lead for the second ascent. I knew I would not match the B cat fella up the ascent, but I wasn't going to let my lead over the last guy go. I went pop with 200 metres, but my place was secure.

Race score is initially unimpressed with my efforts and deducted 12 point :laugh:

I thought I did ok being a hilly event :biggrin:

View: https://youtu.be/Nm6GchKDoOY?si=U8mKWG80XbhMO6p6

bridgy

Legendary Member
I don't know, maybe a shorter period of recent results, to reflect current form.
That would make the thing you're complaining about worse not better surely? You'd have even more B Cat riders with lower ZRS scores and therefore in lower ZRS categories because you'd be excluding even more activities they've done which might reflect their true potential (especially coming out of summer where many people race/ride much less on Zwift)

If you are a beginner with no history, then a base score given or rider needs to do a few events to create a profile.

You were talking about "B Cat" riders in your ZRS category being the problem - these wouldn't be beginners with no history if they're B Cat so how would that change anything? Are you regularly being trounced in ZRS races by beginner riders with no history on Zwift?

alex_cycles

Veteran
That would make the thing you're complaining about worse not better surely? You'd have even more B Cat riders with lower ZRS scores and therefore in lower ZRS categories because you'd be excluding even more activities they've done which might reflect their true potential (especially coming out of summer where many people race/ride much less on Zwift)

You were talking about "B Cat" riders in your ZRS category being the problem - these wouldn't be beginners with no history if they're B Cat so how would that change anything? Are you regularly being trounced in ZRS races by beginner riders with no history on Zwift?

I beat an A and an A+ in week 1 on the flat race in London. It doesn't really mean a lot - just I had a bit more left at the end. They properly kicked my arse today on a hilly course (as expected).

I think the whole problem of this discussion is that this ZRS is something new and people are trying to examine it through the old paradigm.

Really we're much better off looking at vELO, adjusted vELO or even just specific power metrics to see how the race is likely to go.

Twice up Petit Kom today - so 5 minute power is going to give us a good indication of how the race will go. Much better than ABCD (which I regard as 'deprecated'). :laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
We are 1 rider short for tonight's B Cat Zwift Racing League race tonight if anyone wants to race for us to pick up some much needed team points?
7.30pm (UK time) race start

@Norry1 are you available?

Anyone else?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
We are 1 rider short for tonight's B Cat Zwift Racing League race tonight if anyone wants to race for us to pick up some much needed team points?

Anyone else?

Sorry no can do, still recovering from this morning's race

1000015504.jpg

mjd1988

Guru

Anyone else?

Id love to but it's very very unlikely I'd make it. I'll maybe post on here if by miracle I've got both kids down early but i definitely wouldnt count on it

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I beat an A and an A+ in week 1 on the flat race in London. It doesn't really mean a lot - just I had a bit more left at the end. They properly kicked my arse today on a hilly course (as expected).

I think the whole problem of this discussion is that this ZRS is something new and people are trying to examine it through the old paradigm.

Really we're much better off looking at vELO, adjusted vELO or even just specific power metrics to see how the race is likely to go.

Twice up Petit Kom today - so 5 minute power is going to give us a good indication of how the race will go. Much better than ABCD (which I regard as 'deprecated'). :laugh:

Once up the KoM will do me in ... second time up will be very painful unless I'm lucky enough to find someone to ride with on the flat section in between. If that's an iTT then it could be a very lonely ride. Just hope Absolute Radio has some good tunes on tonight :biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Whorty , do you now you've signed in the E pen ? ,I joined you we raced D last time , I presume the league scores won't count ,didn't bother me I've missed a week

I'm not bothered by the league placings this time round as I was initially in the incorrect ZRS pen due to seedings. So happy to just do a race where I might see others (although looking at the w/kg of riders I'm thinking I'll be dropped early again tonight. I'll try to hang on as long as I can, but please don't wait for me - you'll have a good chance to get up the KoM with others tonight with a lead group :cheers:

13 rider

Guru
@Whorty ,my plan is to try not to go to hard on the 1st climb but try to keep in contact with the front bunch ,if you can hang on you hopefully hang on till the the last climb then it's everyman for themselves , hopefully I will be competitive as I'm now near the top of cat instead on the very bottom last week

Top Bottom