Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Hmmmm, still a bit unsure about the new ZRS scores - came 7/10 in a D race, dropped by the lead group after 18 mins on a flat course (about halfway point). Got caught by 2 riders behind who I managed to outsprint for 7th (they didn't try a sprint). My average w/kg for the race was 2.4 and I was on my absolute limit, almost quit with 9km to go as legs were shot.

My ZRS score improved!

Seems I should have gamed the system and let these 2 roll past me at the end rather than fighting for a position.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hmmmm, still a bit unsure about the new ZRS scores - came 7/10 in a D race, dropped by the lead group after 18 mins on a flat course (about halfway point). Got caught by 2 riders behind who I managed to outsprint for 7th (they didn't try a sprint). My average w/kg for the race was 2.4 and I was on my absolute limit, almost quit with 9km to go as legs were shot.

My ZRS score improved!

Seems I should have gamed the system and let these 2 roll past me at the end rather than fighting for a position.

I looked at your result Carl, your RS has gone down.

I think the RS boundaries are wrong compared to the old ABCD categories.

I come near the front in the old and near the back with RS events

Whorty

I looked at your result Carl, your RS has gone down.

I think the RS boundaries are wrong compared to the old ABCD categories.

I come near the front in the old and near the back with RS events

Pre race my score was 393 (I think) and it's 395 now, so up marginally. That feels 'wrong' given I was royally kicked up the ass and dropped.
Definitely wasn't an old style D race that's for sure. THere was a B rider and mostly C's (I think the only real D rider quit halfway through the race as he was minutes behind).
I'm happy with where I came and I was dropped by stronger riders. It's the score going up that seemed strange.
Riders 4th, 5th and 6th all have lower scores than me, and beat me, yet my score still rose? Confused.com

alex_cycles

Veteran

My ZRS score improved!

I'm hoping they will settle. They are going to be reset at some point anyway when the seed algorithm is finalised, but for now just enjoy the racing in whatever pen it will allow you in. It's experimental. It won't get "really good" until it has data to feed on and it won't have that until we use it. But also, since you've been away, you will probably improve quite quickly if you keep at it.

The ZR.app vELO algorithm is regularly predicting my race finish position within one or two places. It took a while to get good. This will be no different. We will need to be slightly patient, but I have no doubt it will be pretty good in a few months time.

Look at it this way. I think you will have some fun races - maybe not the mountain week, but probably on the other weeks. I doubt it will be less fun than CE races.

If I look on your race results on Companion App it says your score went down to 396. What I can't see there is what it was before. Sometimes the results you get immediately are adjusted when everyone has finished and the DNFs are processed.
Screenshot_20240830-211737.jpg

Last edited:

Whorty

I'm hoping they will settle. They are going to be reset at some point anyway when the seed algorithm is finalised, but for now just enjoy the racing in whatever pen it will allow you in. It's experimental. It won't get "really good" until it has data to feed on and it won't have that until we use it. But also, since you've been away, you will probably improve quite quickly if you keep at it.

The ZR.app vELO algorithm is regularly predicting my race finish position within one or two places. It took a while to get good. This will be no different. We will need to be slightly patient, but I have no doubt it will be pretty good in a few months time.

Look at it this way. I think you will have some fun races - maybe not the mountain week, but probably on the other weeks. I doubt it will be less fun than CE races.

If I look on your race results on Companion App it says your score went down to 396. What I can't see there is what it was before. Sometimes the results you get immediately are adjusted when everyone has finished and the DNFs are processed.
View attachment 743335

I checked pre race and I'm sure it was 393 hence why I'm surprised it went up given I was beaten by riders with a lower score. Was a good session and I definitely worked hard (remnants of covid probably didn't help). Definitely my level now and I'm happy there :becool:

alex_cycles

Veteran
I checked pre race and I'm sure it was 393 hence why I'm surprised it went up given I was beaten by riders with a lower score. Was a good session and I definitely worked hard (remnants of covid probably didn't help). Definitely my level now and I'm happy there :becool:

Yes there does seem to be some weirdness around the direction of the arrows sometimes when the numbers change. Hopefully it will become clearer and more consistent and perhaps even a bit more understandable? :laugh:

In my first few ZRS races it looked as if most of the gain or loss in points was down to finish position and not much weight applied to who you beat or lost to. But they may have tweaked it since then.

Whorty

Yes there does seem to be some weirdness around the direction of the arrows sometimes when the numbers change. Hopefully it will become clearer and more consistent and perhaps even a bit more understandable? :laugh:

In my first few ZRS races it looked as if most of the gain or loss in points was down to finish position and not much weight applied to who you beat or lost to. But they may have tweaked it since then.

It definitely needs to look at the competition in your race and rank you based on the quality in the race else it's flawed. Also needs to take into account the number of racers in a race - 7th out of 10 is much worse than 7th out of 110 riders (for example).

The old cats were mostly correct, for the majority of riders - the exception were those strong enough to game the system and stay in a cat below where they should really have been (our friend Mr H springs to mind). We just need a results based system that looks at the quality of the competition and rank accordingly. For e.g. if I win a race that is full of riders with much lower scores I shouldn't be increasing my score too much as I would be expected to beat them. Maybe finish time needs to be taken into account too - so look at the times across all cats for that race and rank by that too?

Seeding based on the old cats would put most people in the right races then placings etc would shuffle the scores about accordingly.

The D race yesterday was mostly C riders plus a B (the one D rider bailed as he was dropped very early and was probably frustrated). The E race though, which presumably is supposed to be weaker than D, blew us away. I would have been 14th in that race.

Definitely lots of work still to go before it gets to where it needs to be.

alex_cycles

Veteran
@steverob I went for the Station Road bridge segment as the wind seemed favourable today. Managed to equal my best but still 1s slower than the KoM time

View: https://youtu.be/xmH6QG9ioCM
We were talking about sprint power the other day. This video shows 30s 10W/kg outside sprinting.

Cirrus

Veteran
Am a newbie to Zwift but am enjoying the experience. Pleasantly surprised by the variety and frequency of rides as well as the amount of pre built training sessions available.

It really does relieve the monotony of turbo trainer sessions, previously I’d be bored after 20-30 mins but am happy doing an hour now with no issue.

Whorty

Am a newbie to Zwift but am enjoying the experience. Pleasantly surprised by the variety and frequency of rides as well as the amount of pre built training sessions available.

It really does relieve the monotony of turbo trainer sessions, previously I’d be bored after 20-30 mins but am happy doing an hour now with no issue.

Newbie tip - start the Everest challenge now - this will run and run, each metre you climb you will get closer to the TRON bike.

Second tip, if you like the workouts, combine them with new routes to go badge hunting. Particularly the hillier routes as this will add metres to your TRON bike challenge.

Enjoy.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Newbie tip - start the Everest challenge now - this will run and run, each metre you climb you will get closer to the TRON bike.

Second tip, if you like the workouts, combine them with new routes to go badge hunting. Particularly the hillier routes as this will add metres to your TRON bike challenge.

Enjoy.

Good advice that. :okay: And if you'd like to learn more about the most "efficient" way to level up, Zwift Insider is an absolute wealth of information, and/or ask here.

(And then you'll know why even those of us at stupidly high levels still insist on finishing to the nearest whole km after every race :laugh:)
It's just an ingrained habit to get the extra 20XP that you no longer need ^_^

mjd1988

Guru

Welcome! We complain about zwift a lot but it has revolutionised indoor training.

If you have any interest in racing there is quite a lot starting next week with @alex_cycles race series starting on Tuesday and WTRL racing series starting the same day (I think?) for which we should hopefully have a few teams across different levels

Top Bottom